Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
Aberdeen Football Club Squad
dark blue dons foreword
click on a player below to display their 'dark blue dons' profile.
Jim Leighon at the World Cup in 86
Jim Leighton
91 Caps
Alex McLeish comes up against England substitute Steve Bull in the Rous Cup Match against England at Hampden in 1989
Alex McLeish
77 Caps
Willie in action for Scotland
Willie Miller
65 Caps
Belgium midfielder Ludo Coeck (right) tries to pull back Scotland's Gordon Strachan.
Gordon Strachan
50 Caps
Stewart McKimmie in action for Scotland.
Stewart McKimmie
40 Caps

Ryan Christie
34 Caps
Martin Buchan for Scotland in Season 1977-78
Martin Buchan
34 Caps
Scott McKenna in Aberdeen Colours.
Scott McKenna
28 Caps

Kenny McLean
28 Caps
Steve Archibald in action for Scotland.
Steve Archibald
27 Caps
Jim Bett for Scotland v Norway WC Qualifier in 1989.
Jim Bett
26 Caps
Billy Dodds Celebrates after netting for Scotland against Belgium in a WC Qualifier in 2001.
Billy Dodds
26 Caps
Scott Booth in action for Scotland.
Scott Booth
22 Caps
Charlie Nicholas in action for Scotland.
Charlie Nicholas
20 Caps
Eoin Jess in action for Scotland.
Eoin Jess
18 Caps
Graham Leggat Scores against England in 1956.
Graham Leggat
18 Caps
Bobby Clark punches clear for Scotland against Brasil at Hampden in 1972.
Bobby Clark
17 Caps
Alex Jackson in Aberdeen Colours.
Alex Jackson
17 Caps
Scott Severin in action for Scotland.
Scott Severin
15 Caps
Derek Whyte in action for Scotland.
Derek Whyte
12 Caps
Jock Hutton in Aberdeen Colours.
Jock Hutton
10 Caps
Russell Anderson in action for Scotland.
Russell Anderson
10 Caps
Brian Irvine in action against Romania in a Euro Qualifier at Hampden in 1990.
Brian Irvine
9 Caps
'Big Dunc' in action for Scotland.
Duncan Shearer
7 Caps
Stuart Kennedy in Aberdeen Colours.
Stuart Kennedy
7 Caps
Peter Weir in Aberdeen Colours.
Peter Weir
6 Caps
Graeme Shinnie in Aberdeen Colours.
Graeme Shinnie
6 Caps
Fred Martin in action for Scotland.
Fred Martin
6 Caps
George Hamilton in Aberdeen Colours.
George Hamilton
5 Caps
Jim Forrest in Aberdeen Colours.
Jim Forrest
5 Caps
Dave Robb in Aberdeen Colours.
Dave Robb
5 Caps
Alec Cheyne in Aberdeen Colours.
Alec Cheyne
5 Caps
Neil Simpson in action for Scotland
Neil Simpson
5 Caps
Bobby Connor in action for Scotland.
Robert Connor
4 Caps
Lewis Ferguson in Aberdeen Colours.
Lewis Ferguson
4 Caps
Donald Colman in Aberdeen Colours.
Donald Colman
4 Caps
Joe Harper in Scotland Colours Season 1978-79.
Joe Harper
4 Caps
Kevin McNaughton in action for Scotland.
Kevin McNaughton
4 Caps
Mark McGhee watches his header beat the diving Peter Shilton to score against England.
Mark McGhee
4 Caps
Jimmy Smith in Aberdeen Colours.
Jimmy Smith
4 Caps
Matt Armstrong in action for Scotland against Wales in 1935
Matt Armstrong
3 Caps
George Mulhall in Aberdeen Colours.
George Mulhall
3 Caps
Frank Hill in Aberdeen Colours.
Frank Hill
3 Caps
Andy at Hampden
Andrew Considine
3 Caps
Andy Love in Aberdeen Colours.
Andy Love
3 Caps

Lee Miller
3 Caps

Michael Devlin
3 Caps
Paddy Buckley in Aberdeen Colours.
Paddy Buckley
3 Caps
Willie Mills in Aberdeen Colours.
Willie Mills
3 Caps
Chris Maguire in action for the Scotland U21s
Chris Maguire
2 Caps
Willie Lennie in Aberdeen Colours.
Willie Lennie
2 Caps
Stephen Wright clears his lines for Scotland's U21's as Germany's Mehmet Scholl bears down on him at Pittodrie.
Stephen Wright
2 Caps
Gary Mackay-Steven in Aberdeen Colours.
Gary Mackay-Steven
2 Caps
Archie Glen in Aberdeen Colours.
Archie Glen
2 Caps
Ernie McGarr in Aberdeen Colours.
Ernie McGarr
2 Caps
Dave Smith in Aberdeen Colours.
Dave Smith
2 Caps
Doug Rougvie proudly shows his Scotland Cap.
Doug Rougvie
1 Cap
Benny Yorston in Aberdeen Colours.
Benny Yorston
1 Cap
Archie Baird in Aberdeen Colours.
Archie Baird
1 Cap
Harry Yorston in Aberdeen Colours.
Harry Yorston
1 Cap
Robbie Winters in action for Scotland against Germany in 1999.
Robbie Winters
1 Cap
Steve Murray in Aberdeen Colours.
Steve Murray
1 Cap
Mark McGhee
Mark McGhee watches his header beat the diving Peter Shilton to score against England. By the time the European Cup Winners Cup was in the Pittodrie trophy room and the curtain had come down on the 1982-83 season Jim Leighton, Alex McLeish, Willie Miller and Gordon Strachan were all established as full Scottish Internationals. Peter Weir and Neil Simpson had also made the breakthrough and become familiar names in manager Jock Stein's full Scottish squad.

When Scotland went to Canada in June 1983 yet another Don, Mark McGhee, became part of the Stein national set-up. The three game tour of Canada was undertaken, in many ways, as much to aid the blossoming Canadian games as it was to benefit the Scots. However, the relaxed atmosphere of the mini tour was the perfect environment to give up and coming players such as Mark McGhee and Charlie Nicholas a chance to prove themselves.

The first game of the tour was scheduled for June 12 in Vancouver and McGhee was originally pencilled in as the starting striking partner for Nicholas. However, Jock Stein had not counted on Mark having a reaction to training on the stadium's Astroturf and foot blisters meant he was only named as substitute. Ironically, Charlie Nicholas went off injured early in the second half when he was brought down by the Canadian keeper in the penalty box, and Mark McGhee came on for his first full cap just moments after Gordon Strachan had put Scotland 1-0 ahead from the spot. Despite the heat and his blistered feet "Dingus" was prominent in the second half and capped a fine display with a goal 12 minutes from time. Four days later in the second game at Edmonton, Mark played from the start, finally giving Stein the chance to view the McGhee/Nicholas combination.

The duo blended well, with Charlie revelling in the space provided by McGhee's robust style and Scotland were coasting 2-0 ahead before Mark was given a rest in favour of Wolves' Andy Gray well into the second half. In the third game at Toronto Stein gave the remaining un-played members of his squad a run out and "Dingus" was not called upon. With Scotland less than well endowed with quality front men, the general feeling was that McGhee had done his future international prospects no harm at all over the course of the Canadian trip.

For the first few internationals of the ensuing 1983-84 season Frank McGarvey was the surprise first choice up front, but after two disappointing results against Belgium and East Germany in the European Championship, McGhee looked more and more likely to get the nod. He was called into the squad for Scotland's last British Championship match against Northern Ireland in December 1983. Although he started on the bench his entrance on 61 minutes in place of Frank McGarvey marked a historic moment in the Dark Blue Dons story as he took the field at Windsor Park to join five fellow Dons - Jim Leighton, Doug Rougvie, Alex McLeish and Peter Weir. Unfortunately, from a Scottish point of view the game didn't quite live up to the moment with Scotland trailing 2-0 to an inspired Irish side. McGhee tried hard to lift the Scots in the last half hour and almost pulled a goal back six minutes from time but it was not to be.

On May 26, 1984 only seven days after McGhee had played his last game for the Dons in a 2-1 Scottish Cup final win over Celtic, he lined up at Hampden in a dark blue jersey for the last ever British Championship match against England. A capacity crowd of 73,000 saw an international reminiscent of the heyday of the fixture, and with just 12 minutes gone Mark put Scotland in the lead with a powerful downward header from a perfect Gordon Strachan cross. "Dingus" played in typical bustling fashion and posed all sorts of problems for Graham Roberts and Terry Fenwick at the heart of the English defence. But the visitors equalised through Tony Woodcock, and when Scotland looked to have lost their way a little midway through the second half McGhee was replaced by Maurice Johnston, although his striking partner Steve Archibald looked a likelier candidate to be substituted. The game ended in a 1-1 draw, and within days Mark was on his way from Aberdeen to SV Hamburg. Surprisingly, his Scotland career was over. Hampered by his "exile" and subsequent injuries he never played for Scotland again.

At club level, Mark's senior career began south of the border when he joined Bristol City as a 16 year old apprentice in 1973. Within two years the youngster was back in his native Scotland playing for Morton. However, his performances soon had the scouts heading north to run the rule over him, and in December 1977, Mark signed for Newcastle United for 150,000. His stay - the first of two spells at St James's Park, proved an unhappy experience, but Dons boss Alex Ferguson thought 80,000 would be money well spent when he stepped in to sign McGhee in 1979.

After a couple of inauspicious performances, Mark started to show glimpses of what to expect in the future, and at the same time began to win over some of the doubting fans with four goals in an 11 game period at the end of the 1978-79 season. An injury which ended Joe Harper's career in the early weeks of the 1979-80 campaign opened the door wide for McGhee. As the Dons matured into championship material, Mark really came into his own. In the spring of 1980 he played a prominent role in two Aberdeen victories at Celtic Park and notched a goal in each game.

McGhee's style was all his own. He had the ability to run right at defenders and somehow power his way past with the ball seemingly tied to his right foot. His goals tended to come from inside the penalty box, and he was not averse to missing the proverbial sitter. But his strength and determination made him more than a handful, and opposing defenders just hated playing against him. Possibly Mark's biggest value to the Dons was not at Pittodrie, but away from home at the more difficult places for visiting teams. McGhee was regularly the lone figure up front as the Dons absorbed pressure. Once the defence had won the ball, it was quickly played to Mark. He would typically hold off the challenges of a couple of opponents, get in behind their defence and knock the ball across for breaking midfielders such as Strachan and Simspon to grab the glory.

Over his six full seasons at Pittodrie, Mark became an integral part of the club's success story, landing two League winners medals, three Scottish Cup winners medals and medals for winning both the European Cup Winners Cup and European Super Cup as he amassed 100 goals. Perhaps his most telling contribution was not a goal at all, but his precise left-foot cross (yes, his left foot!") on to the head of John Hewitt for the goal that sealed the Cup Winners Cup for the Dons.

In 1984, in the immediate aftermath of Aberdeen's momentous third consecutive Scottish Cup triumph, courtesy of Mark's extra-time winner against Celtic, McGhee signed for SV Hamburg, a club which had experienced the McGhee treatment on more than one occasion. He returned to Scotland 18 months later to join another club which had learned to respect him, namely Celtic, and enjoyed a relatively successful four year spell at Parkhead. However, injuries began to take their toll, and he moved for a second spell at Newcastle in August 1989.

In May 1991, Mark moved into management as player / manager of Reading, hanging up his boots two years later. Late in 1994 he resigned at Reading to take over as Leicester City boss. He had been at Filbert Street only a year when he left in controversial circumstances to take up the manager's post at Wolverhampton Wanderers. Mark now manages Coca-Cola Championship side Brighton.

Scottish International Caps
Season Date Match Tournament
1983-84 26/05/84 SCOTLAND v England British Int'l Championship
1983-84 13/12/83 Northern Ireland v SCOTLAND British Int'l Championship
1982-83 16/06/83 Canada v SCOTLAND Friendly
1982-83 12/06/83 Canada v SCOTLAND Friendly
Total Appearances: 4