Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1894-95 fixture list
Victoria United 1 - 4 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:    Morrison        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Victoria Bridge, Aberdeen
The New Year festivities were continued at Victoria Grounds yesterday, when the Blues and Partick Thistle met in a friendly encounter before a fair attendance of spectators. Play was hampered owing to the ground being covered with snow; but the atmospheric conditions were all that could be desired. The local team were without three of their regular players, the positions being filled as follows: Sims; W. Ririe, J. Ririe; Cruickshank, Kay, Grant; Murison, Morrison, Forsyth, McFarlane, Clark. The Partick was represented by: Smith; Reid, Ferguson; Bruce, McDonald, Bryce; Campbell, Wilkie, Paul, Proudfoot, Freebairn. Mr Dorian was referee.

The Vics, kicked off towards the west goal. At the very outset the strangers got possession, and made a clever, though fruitless, attempt at scoring. No relief being obtained, the Vics, transferred the play to the other end, and the outlook was dangerous for the strangers. The tactics now assumed a see-saw character, the pressure being now at one end, now at the other. At length, about ten minutes from the start, first blood was drawn by the strangers through a smart, long shot from the outside left. Wilkie lowered the local colours for the second time, to the no small disappointment Of the spectators. This success was followed up by the strangers by a well-sustained attack, during which Sim saved beautifully on more than one occasion. The Vics now had a look in, and almost succeeded in reducing the lead against them, especially off a free kick near the goal mouth, but the leather was once more transferred to the opposite territory, and for a considerable time the pressure was almost continually confined to the Victoria's half. Play was exciting and picturesque, but it was pretty much one-sided, the half-backs of the Vics, being somewhat ineffective. Immediately the strangers added another to their score, Proudfoot sending in a beauty, which Sim failed to parry. Just before the call of half-time, the Blues made a determined onslaught upon the strangers? goal, and experienced the hardest of hard lines in failing to score. Particle Thistle, 3; Vics, 0.

The Vics, played with great vigour on resuming, and in less than five minutes a spell of excellent combined work culminated in Morrison notching the first point for his side amid great cheering. Flushed with victory, the Blues continued on the offensive. Play was characterised by much dash, and excitement ran high. Press as they might, however, the Vics, could not improve their position. On the contrary, a brilliant spurt by the Whites resulted in the addition, in the easiest possible way, of another goal, which some of the spectators, seemed inclined to think should not have been conceded on the ground of off-side. The Vics now engaged in a hard struggle to make up what was beginning to appear a hopeless leeway. They played with great enthusiasm, and for long had the upper hand; but strive as they might, they could not elude the vigilance of a capital defence. As the game was drawing to a close the strangers, assuming the offensive, put in all they knew to widen the gap between them and their opponents. But their onslaughts also were successfully repulsed, and the game ended: Partick Thistle 4, Victoria United 1.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 3rd January 1895

Victoria United Teamsheet:  Sims; W. Ririe, J. Ririe; Cruickshank, Kay, Grant; Murison, Morrison, Forsyth, McFarlane, Clark


Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Smith; Reid, Ferguson; Bruce, McDonald, Bryce; Campbell, Wilkie, Paul, Proudfoot, Freebairn


Referee: Mr. Dorian

Related Links: