Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1919-20 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Queens Park 3 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    R.M. Morton 5, R.M. Morton 35, McAlpine 85        
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Queen's Park included McAlpine of the strollers; Steel their right back; and H. Smith, of Shawfield Juniors, in their forward line at Hampden Park. Opening strongly, the amateurs were a goal up in five minutes, R. M. Morton being the marksman, and some time later the same player repeated his earlier performance. This was all the scoring in the first half, during which the Queen's had much more of the play than the Aberdonians. Aberdeen asserted themselves more in the second portion of the game but the Hampden defence prevailed against all attacks, and five minutes from time McAlpine scored Queen's third goal. Smith made a creditable debut, and was ably attended to by Steel. The attendance would be about 13,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th February 1920

Aberdeen, who have fared badly in their recent visits to the west, were beaten by Queen's Park at Hampden by 3 goals to 0. 12,000 spectators sewer game that was vigorously contested, and if Queen's Park were deserving of success by reason of their superiority forward, they were rather flattered by the margin in their favour. The amateurs' goal had a narrow escape in the opening minutes, when A. C. Hunter kicked the ball against Connon, but R. M. Young was able to bring relief. After Anderson had saved a fast grounder from A. L. Morton, the scoring was opened in 5 minutes by R. M. Morton, who, accepting a long pass forward by Young, beat Anderson with a hard drive from 20 yards' range. For a time play favoured the amateurs', who were splendidly led by A. L. Morton, but Aberdeen subsequently shook off the pressure, and Connon just missed the mark with two good tries. In quick succession the Queen's Park keeper saved from Archibald, Connon, and Wright, and at this stage Aberdeen promised to equalise. Following a cross from the right, Archibald messed a fine opportunity of scoring by sending weekly past with a left-foot effort. There were many clever runs by the Queen's Park left wing, and but for the solidity of the Aberdeen rear divisions several of the fine crosses sent over by A. L. Morton must have been turned to account, Anderson doing well to save from McAlpine and R. M. Morton. Queen's Park increased their lead at the end of 35 minutes. A. L. Morton, against whom offside was claimed, received the ball and returned to his brother, against whom offside was also claimed, and the centre-forward ran in to score a good goal. After this Aberdeen made desperate efforts to get through, but the disjointed forward play was lost on the defence put up by the amateurs, and R. M. Young in particular. On one occasion A. C. Hunter actually picked the ball off Connon stayed after a cross from the left.

the pace of the game did not slacken in the second half, when the teams were well matched, by the home side where the more dangerous near goal. Archibald sent the ball across the goalmouth, but none of his colleagues were up in time, and later Connon, although clean through, shot wide from a scoring position, while Grant tested Hunter with a long shot from the wing. After a brilliant book by A. L. Morton, a hard drive from inside the penalty area was stopped by Hume's base, the back being laid out as the result, and having to be treated on the touch line. The amateurs' attack strongly for the period, and Anderson did well to run out and save from R. M. Morton, who later had the ball and the net only to be given offside. Anderson also had a fine save from the other Morton. Aberdeen repeatedly pressed, but the absence of understanding amongst the forwards was repeatedly manifest. On one occasion they looked like going through when Hutton and Connon got together, and the effort was lost two each leaving the final touch to the other. Near the end A. L. Morton caught away from a suspiciously offside position, and, cutting in, gave to McAlpine, who beat Anderson from short range. The Aberdeen players appealed strongly for offside, but the referee would have none of it, and thus concluded the scoring in a game that was always interesting and full of running.

Outstanding Players

On the Queen's Park side, the work of Alan Morton overshadowed everything else in the game, and he had a splendid partner in McAlpine, who seldom failed to draw the defence and let his winger away. The right wing, if not so prominent, was also clever, and his two golds speak for the effectiveness of R. M. Morton at centre forward, W. Calderwood and J. McRoberts being ahead of their pivotal colleague. R. M. Young was outstanding for forceful and accurate play at back, and A. C. Hunter was clever and reliable in goal. The Aberdeen defence compared favourably with that of the winners, despite the score against them. Anderson defected some clever saving, and Hannah and Hume were resolute and robust backs. Wright and MacLachlan shone at half-back, and in the forward line that badly lacked snap Connon and Archibald were best, but they were only moderate successes.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 16th February 1920

Queens Park Teamsheet:  A. C. Hunter; H. Thom, R. M. Young; W. Calderwood, K. Mackenzie, J. McRoberts; H. Smith, J. Steel, R. M. Morton, J. McAlpine, A. L. Morton


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Hannah, Hume, Wright, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Grant, Wylie, Connon, Hutton, Archibald.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell

Related Links: