Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1896-97 fixture list
Aberdeenshire Cup 
Orion 2 - 1 The Aberdeen
Kick Off:    McFarlane, McFarlane       Gray  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Cattofield, Aberdeen
Amongst the football fraternity in Aberdeen the question of paramount interest last week was the probable winner of the semi-final round of the county cup ties, That the interest in the game had increased since the previous week, when the meeting of the rivals resulted in a draw, was abundantly evidenced by the much larger crowd that visited Cattofield on Saturday. The attendance must have gladdened the hearts of the Orion committee, who have had an exceptional run of luck this season. Amongst the spectators were a number of the Victoria United players, who had been allowed an off day. Slight changes were observed in both teams. Currie, the Orion's gem half-back had sufficiently recovered from his illness to be able to take his place, and Dawson, who had filled the breach last week, was advanced to the front rank as Hogg's partner, while McLennan was dropped out, James Low, whom the Orion have once more recovered from the Aberdeen, superseded Gordon at right back. The only change in the Aberdeen's team was the substitution of Gray for Marshall at outside left. Mr Allison, Paisley, took the field as referee, and the linesmen were Mr Eden (Orion) and Mr C. W. Mackie (Aberdeen), Profiting by the mistake which had been made in the previous weak in starting at three o'clock, the committee had Saturday's game commenced half an hour earlier.


The teams lined up in the following order: Aberdeen - Ritchie; Davidson, Gall; A. Smith, J. Smith, Thomson ; R. Thomson, Milne, Cadger, J. Mackie, Gray. Orion - McBean; James Low Ross; Wight, John Low, Currie; McFarlane, Leggat, Thom, Dawson, Hogg. The condition of the field were all that could have been desired, and the weather was delightful - scarcely a breath of wind giving either team the advantage. Science, that quality which goes so far to popularise the game, was almost alien to the match, while a regrettable amount of what tends to its demoralisation was present. With a less strict and conscientious referee than Mr Allison proved himself to be, it is difficult to say how far the ungentlemanly tactics which at times characterised the play would have gone. Throughout the match rough play was more or less apparent, but a crisis was reached about 20 minutes after the second half had been started, resulting in the expulsion from the field of Milne of the Aberdeen and Currie of the Orion. As the incident, which had so regrettable and so deserving a termination, took place opposite the press box, these who were seated there had a favourable opportunity of witnessing what really occurred. Currie had the ball and was making for the Aberdeen's goal, when Milne's leg, accidentally or otherwise, got in front of the Orion player, who stumbled. On regaining his footing Currie struck Milne, who retaliated. Milne had been repeatedly cautioned for similar attempts at overthrowing his opponents. The matter will be laid before the association at their first meeting.

As evidence of the rough play, no fewer than 19 fouls were awarded in the second period - 13 against the Aberdeen, divided between Milne and Cadger, and 6 against the Orion, nearly all by John Low. From the outset it was seen that if defeat awaited the Aberdeen they were determined to "die" bravely. With that style of play which is all their own, they harassed the Orion defence in no small degree, and on several occasions they almost found an opening. It was apparent that the Orion had not yet recovered from the defeat by the Motherwell, but they made a better appearance than in the previous week. Currie's presence greatly strengthened the Cattofield team in the first half, as he kept the front rank well supplied with the ball. Before half an hour had passed the Orion were leading by two goals to nil, and they retained this position until half-time. Both points were secured by McFarlane, and one at least of them should have been saved by Ritchie. For the first five minutes after the restart Aberdeen pressed, and the Orion defence were kept active. The backs and goalkeeper did their work in an excellent manner, and despite the dashing play of the Whites' front rank, their visits were fruitless. After the teams had each been reduced to ten, the Aberdeen had decidedly the upper hand and within a comparatively short period the Orion were compelled to concede no fewer than four corners. From a considerable distance, Gray, who by the way, has greatly improved since his last appearance in the Aberdeen team, sent in a high, straight, and effective shot. This success gave fresh energy to the Chanonry team's play, and for the last fifteen minutes the Orion were kept on the defensive. No further scoring took place, however, and the Orion were left to dispute the custody of the cup with the Victoria United - the present holders - or the Peterhead. The game on the play was worth no more than a draw.

Source: Aberdeen Journal.23rd November 1896

Orion Teamsheet:  McBean; James Low Ross; Wight, John Low, Currie; McFarlane, Leggat, Thom, Dawson, Hogg

Bookings:   Currie

The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Ritchie; Davidson, Gall; A. Smith, J. Smith, Thomson ; R. Thomson, Milne, Cadger, J. Mackie, Gray

Bookings:   Currie

Referee: Mr. Allison, Paisley

Related Links: