Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1919-20 fixture list
Scottish Cup Fourth Round 
Albion Rovers 2 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Young 1, Black 15       Connon 50.  
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Cliftonhill, Coatbridge
There was no dubiety about which was the better team in the tie at Coatbridge. A goal by Young in the first minute gave the Albion Rovers confidence, and when Black scored their second, the tie was won unless Aberdeen could produce something much better than they gave out during the whole of the first half. The visitors were playing against the wind, but apart from that they were all out of gear. Shortly after starting the second half, Connon reduced the lead with a great shot, and later the same player almost brought the equaliser, for the ball came back off the cross-bar after glancing off Short's hands. As a set-off to that Anderson saved a dozen times, and to that goalkeeper can be set down the narrow margin at the close - 2-1 in favour of the Albion Rovers. Clumsy and slow, the Dons were no match for the Rovers, whose fast, open play taxed all the resources of the Aberdeen team, whose forward line were third-rate in comparison with the 'Brig five. Attendance, 12,000; gates and stand 456.

Source: The Scotsman, 8th March 1920

At Coatbridge, Aberdeen failed to repeat the form shown against the Hearts in the previous round, and were not undeservedly beaten by Albion Rovers by 2 goals to 1. The Rovers played the better football for the occasion, and it was largely the clever and speedy work of the extreme wingers Ribchester and Young that enabled them for the first time in their history to qualify for the semi-final. They get the ball on the swing throughout, and lashing it from wing to wing, played the proper game for the occasion. Aberdeen, on the other hand, were too prone to play closely, and although they altered their tactics in the later period, the change was made to late, and the game was lost and won in the first half. The game had a sensational opening, Young, the Rovers' outside left, opening the scoring after a minute's play. Ribchester, the home outside right, got away, and crossed strongly. Hannah intercepted the ball, but only partially cleared, and Young, getting possession from Watson, gave Anderson no chance with a hard drive. The Rovers' kept Aberdeen on the defensive, and Ribchester hit the crossbar from near the touch line. After 15 minutes, and following upon a corner, Black got a second goal for the Rovers from close range, Anderson touching but being unable to stop the ball from finding the net. The Aberdeen defence was repeatedly in difficulties after this, and Anderson distinguished himself with many clever saves, frequently having to leave his goal and go to the assistance of his backs. The game was half an hour old before the Rovers' goalkeeper touched the ball, and from that time until the interval Aberdeen showed a revival. Shortt saved from Robertson on the Aberdeen left at close range to concede a corner. Successive flag kicks followed for Aberdeen, and although the ball hovered in front of the Rovers' goal on each occasion there was not an Aberdeen head or foot capable of putting it past Shortt. Connon, Hutton, and Robertson missed chances on the run and had Aberdeen had the assistance of an opportunist at this stage it might, even if they did not deserve to be, have been on equal terms at the interval.

Exciting Second Half

The second period produced many exciting passages, and with each goal visited in turn the play was much more even. Aberdeen sought to open the play more, but they did not sustain the tactics. After 5 minutes, following upon a long punt by Hume, Connon got possession, and, cleverly eluding two opponents, reduced the leeway with a particularly fine effort. The success encouraged Aberdeen, and the equaliser looked sure to come when Hutton got through to strike the crossbar from close range. The Rovers again came away strongly, and Anderson was repeatedly called upon. He saved finely at close quarters from White and Black, and on several occasions his fine anticipation and holding of crosses saved his side. In the closing stages Aberdeen made desperate efforts to equalise, but they lacked finishing ability. On one occasion Connon almost repeated his earlier feat, when he beat two opponents only to see his shot go inches wide of the mark. Several corners fell to Aberdeen, but they could not break down of robust and steady defence, and the retired losers of a game in which, had the accepted their actual chances, it might have finished on equal terms even if such a result would have flattered them.

The Aberdeen defence, and especially the half-backs, was much below its usual form, and in the matter of speed compared badly with the home team. The Rovers' strength lay in their middle line and at outside forward, but the inside men lost many chances of scoring. Anderson's goalkeeping was the beginning feature of a Aberdeen's display. Hannah was the better back, and MacLachlan the best of a moderate half-back line, while Connon and Yule were the only forwards who did themselves justice. Albion rovers were best served by Penman at back, Duncan and Noble at half-back, and Ribchester, Watson, and Young forward.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 8th March 1920

Albion Rovers Teamsheet:  Shortt; Penman, Bell; Noble, Duncan, Ford; Ribchester, White, Black, Watson, Young


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Hannah, Hume, Wright, Wyllie, MacLachlan, Archibald, Connon, Hutton, Robertson, Yule.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. S. Sinclair, Thornliebank

Related Links: