Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1897-98 fixture list
Northern League 
Montrose 2 - 2 Victoria United
Kick Off:    Cobb, Bowman       Burnett, Henderson  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Links Park, Montrose
A Northern League fixture between these teams was played at Montrose. The teams were: Montrose - Alexander; Smith. McPherson; Lamb, Bowman, McLean; Fraser, McNab, Fullerton, Watson, Cobb. Victoria - Findlay; Allan, McNicoll; Morris, Thornton, Moffat; Stopani, Henderson, Burnett, Forsyth, Ritchie. Referee - Mr Roebuck, Arbroath. Montrose had the advantage of the wind in the first period, and at half-time the score stood 2-1 in their favour. When the ends were changed, however, the United managed to make up the leeway, and although they tried hard to obtain the winning point they were unable to do so. The game ended in a draw - two goals each

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 6th September 1897

A record gate for Montrose greeted the Vics. The United were weak, W. Allan being off through inflammation in the eyes, Carlin through a strain, and McPherson was away holidaying. Findlay, Johnnie Forsyth, and Stopani filled the vacancies. Captain Dan McNeil received quite an ovation from the large crowd of supporters who travelled, when he lead his men on to the field. Losing the toss, "Twick" [Burnett] kicked off against a strong wind and a visit to the Montrose goal resulted. Smith cleared, but a minute later Henderson forced Alexander to use his hands. Bowman came to the rescue, and Fullerton getting away, passed to Cobb; Captain Dan was there, and relieved with a long punt.
The Vics were playing magnificent football, the ball travelling from toe to toe. Cobb scored but determined to equalise, Alexander had a hot time of it, and only his excellent goalkeeping kept the Montrose goal from falling. Bowman, the ex-volunteer, was playing a grand game. Fullerton, getting the ball, dashed into the Vics' goal; Allan cleared, but Bowman, lying handy, shot through a crowd of legs into the net. The Vics' scientific game was not coming off, although pleasing to look at, and half time saw the Aberdonians two goals down. The wee ex-Celt can shoot.

After a hot time, Moffat relieved Fullerton of the ball, passed to Twick, who set off with Smith and McPherson at his heels. Shooting a few yards out, Alexander threw himself at the ball. Twick, rushing in, "made siccar." Moffat was showing up well, his tackling and feeding being splendid. A few minutes later, Johnnie Henderson repeated the trick with a scorcher. How the Aberdeen supporters howled. With blood warmed up, the Blues closed in on Alexander. Little Twick and Smith, the right back, rushing to head ball, came in collision. Twick was seriously hurt, and had to be attended by a doctor and get the wound stitched. Smith reappeared in a few minutes apparently none the worse. The loss of a man severely handicapped the Torry men, who, although pressing to the finish, could not score.

Short Kicks.

The star of the Vics' forwards at Montrose was' Henderson. Stopani was completely out of it, being very weak. Ritchie and Forsyth played splendidly together. Moffat was the best half. Captain Dan was weak the first half, but gained confidence in the second, playing as befitted a leader.
Given a few matches and the Vics team will be a scorcher - once the men understand each other.
Orion and Aberdeen note - Beware of Montrose.

Source: Bon-Accord, 9th September 1897

Montrose Teamsheet:  Alexander; Smith. McPherson; Lamb, Bowman, McLean; Fraser, McNab, Fullerton, Watson, Cobb


Victoria United Teamsheet:  Findlay; Allan, McNicoll; Morris, Thornton, Moffat; Stopani, Henderson, Burnett, Forsyth, Ritchie


Referee: Mr Roebuck, Arbroath

Related Links: