Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1919-20 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
St. Mirren 3 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    McIntosh, Thomson (pen), McIntosh       Connon.  
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
League game at Love Street, Paisley, before 2500 spectators. The home team opened in splendid style, and during the first twenty minutes the visitors' custodian had to handle a number of hard shots. Five minutes later McIntosh, St Mirren's new centre, beat Anderson with a brilliant drive. Up till the interval St Mirren were the superior side. The visitors improved at the beginning of the second half, and within the first three minutes Connon equalised. From a penalty taken by Thomson, the home side again had the advantage, and from a pass by Thomson, McIntosh counted with a header five minutes from the finish.

Source: The Scotsman, 13th April 1920

At Paisley last night Aberdeen suffered their second league defeat in three days, when St Mirren beat them by 3 goals to 1. In a wet evening there were 4000 spectators.

Losing the toss, Aberdeen kicked off against the wind, and were attackers for the first five minutes. Saints were a man short in front at the opening but Buchanan stepped into the breach caused by Grainger's absence. The Paisley men got into their swing when their front line was complete, and their best early try came from McIntosh, the junior internationalist. Fortunately for Anderson, it curled off. Grant, and Connon tried to force the pace on the Aberdeen right, but as a rule finished poorly against Lavery. Lawson next became prominent on the Saints? right, showing a fine turn of speed, but little came of his centring. Saints were getting the best of it, and one remarkable shot from their right back, Lennon, landed into Anderson's hands from the centre of the field. The Aberdeen defence was, indeed, hard pushed at this early stage, and gave away couple of corners. Anderson handled very capably some very nasty shots from Buchanan, Sutherland, and McIntosh, getting the ball clear away every time. The Saints? custodian was having an easy passage, and even when the Aberdeen forwards got placed the shooting was weak. Just before the half-hour McIntosh opened the scoring for the Saints by accepting a pass from Buchanan and beating Anderson close in. Massie then had an excellent try for Aberdeen, but Saints were quickly at the other end, where they had all the play. From a free kick Leslie came near putting the Paisley team up another goal, but Anderson cleared. Saints were still pressing when half-time was called.

Connon Scores.

On the resumption, Yule had a fine opportunity to score for Aberdeen, but sent wide. With the wind at their backs, Aberdeen now got more of the play. The Saints? defenders took them too easily, and the half had only gone five minutes when Connon cleverly beat O?Hagan at medium range. This helped to liven up play, and Saints should have taken the lead, but only obtained two corners. Aberdeen did not get over the centre line till they were once more back on the defensive. Anderson continued to display great form in goal but he was quite unable to reach a penalty kick taken by Thomson, who put St Mirren once more on the lead. Yule and Wilson tried to get Aberdeen away on the left, but had no luck, and latterly Grant got well up but slipped. Despite the failing light a lively pace was maintained, and the narrow margin in score kept the interest keen. St Mirren were eager to make victory sure, and pressed repeatedly in the closing stages. Against the Paisley forwards, Milne was particularly effective, and Hannah also was very troublesome to the right wing. Massie tried to lead what looked like a forlorn hope in front, but the Paisley backs played confidently and with good understanding. Aberdeen got a corner near the finish, but made nothing of it, and Saints again attacked, Lawson especially distinguishing himself. On the whole, it was a fairly good game, with Saints showing greater superiority in attack. McIntosh scored Saints' last point a few minutes from the finish.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 13th April 1920

St. Mirren Teamsheet:  O'Hagan; Lennon, Lavery; McAvoy, Pringle, Leslie; Buchanan, Mclntosh (Shettleston), Sutherland, Thomson


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Anderson, Colman, Hannah, Wright, Milne, McLaughlin, Grant, Connon, Massie, Wilson, Yule.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell

Related Links: