Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1897-98 fixture list
Northern League 
Dundee Wanderers 1 - 1 The Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Graham        
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Clepington Park, Dundee
At Clepington Park, Aberdeen met the Dundee Wanderers in a Northern League tie. The elevens were: Wanderers - Stewart; Ireland, Ferguson; McNaughton, Bell, McColl; Simpson, Graham, Smart, Durward, Williamson. Aberdeen - Smyth; Davidson, McConnochie; Morrison, Clark, Davidson; McIntosh, Cadger, Mackie, Gray, Shiach. Mr T. McIntosh, Montrose, acted as referee. The first period was stiffly contested, and neither team could gain the advantage. At half-time no scoring had taken place. In the second half the Dundee men were successful in opening the scoring, but shortly before the close Aberdeen equalised.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 1st November 1897

These teams met for the first time this season on Clepington Park on Saturday under Northern League auspices before about 4000 spectators. On account of the present moist weather the ground was in a very slippery condition, thus rendering the footing very insecure. Aberdeen kicked off, but the Wanderers quickly worked the sphere to Smyth's goal, and conceded a corner, which resulted in nothing. Aberdeen then had a look in and secured a corner, but could make nothing of it. Wanderers kept play in front of Smyth, but their shooting was very wide of the mark. Aberdeen got away, but Ferguson shifted the leather down the field. At this stage the homesters were having the best of the game, and were troubling Smyth with several shots. The Aberdeen at last got clear and transferred play to Stewart's charge, but they failed to make anything of it. The whistle sounded half-time without any scoring having taken place. Wanderers started the second period of the game, and immediately made for Smyth, but that player was equal to the occasion. The home team was showing some good play on the right wing, and Graham landed the ball in the net, thus opening the scoring. Play got a little more lively after this. Aberdeen tried to get away, but had to retreat. The ball was seldom away from the strangers' goal, and the Wanderers had hard lines in not scoring. Aberdeen broke away, and were awarded a foul, from which Davidson beat Stewart with a good shot just one minute before time.

Source: Dundee Courier, 1st November 1897


Notes by "Nomad."

When I wended my way to Clepington on Saturday it was with the expectation of seeing the Whites get a big defeat, and on seeing the team on the field my feelings were somewhat strengthened. That I was agreeably disappointed at the finish is a mild way of putting it. I shook hands, metaphorically, with the Aberdeen team, and congratulated them on their lucky draw. That it was lucky no one who saw the game will deny, for on play the Wanderers certainly deserved to win, and to have the points divided just on time must have been a bitter drop to them.
Play during the first half was very even, but the home lot were most dangerous, as Smyth can testify, and if he hadn't been in his best mood the Wanderers would have led by a bit at the finish. The Whites, if they had taken the benefit of their opportunities, should also have scored during this half, but the forwards were sadly out of it. In the open they were all right, but when it came to close quarters they played like a lot of schoolboys and would persist in fancy work instead of banging the ball into goal. As it was the opposing backs had a rare time of it.

In the second half the Aberdeen were never really dangerous. The locals did all the pressing, but bad shooting, coupled with the splendid work of McConnachie and Smyth, prevented them scoring more than once. Up to a minute from the finish the game was the Wanderers, but from a foul splendidly placed, the Aberdeen forwards came in with a rush and very smartly equalised, thus pulling the match out of the fire.

Taking the game all over it was a very poor affair, and at times dreadfully uninteresting. Coming to the players. On the Aberdeen side, McConnachie was easily the best. He played a splendid game, and the remark was freely heard round the ropes that he was just about the best back who had been on Clepington this year. Smyth and Davidson were also good. The half backs were all about a par. They made little or no attempt to place the ball to their forwards, the latter suffering thereby. The forwards, as before mentioned, spoiled all their efforts by too much fancy work, coupled with selfishness. The best thing they did was when they equalised.
The Wanderers, with one or two exceptions, were a big bit under form. Little Ferguson at back was in champion form, and I advise Aberdonians to keep their eye on him when he appears in the Granite City. He is a perfect little wonder. Of the halfs, Bell was best, and in the front rank Graham was here, there, and everywhere, a little too much of the latter. As I remarked before, the Aberdeen were lucky in drawing the match, but I have no doubt the point will be welcome for all that.

Short Kicks.

To draw at Dundee with the Wanderers is something Aberdeen may well be proud of, more especially as they went away without a few of their usual team. Murison, who plays half, nearly scared the life out of the wing opposed to him by his robust play.
The equalising goal scored by Shiach was a perfect beauty.

Source: Bon-Accord, 4th November 1897

Dundee Wanderers Teamsheet:  Stewart; Ireland, Ferguson; McNaughton, Bell, McColl; Simpson, Graham, Smart, Durward, Williamson


The Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smyth; John Davidson, McConnochie; Morrison, Clark, Davidson; McIntosh, Cadger, Mackie, Gray, Shiach


Referee: Mr T. McIntosh, Montrose

Related Links: