Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1901-02 fixture list
Fleming Charity Shield Final 
Victoria United 2 - 0 Peterhead
Kick Off:    G. Ritchie, Duncan        
Attendance: 0
Venue: Cattofield, Aberdeen
At Cattofield on Saturday afternoon, in glorious weather, and in front of a good turnout of spectators, the Victoria United and Peterhead teams met in the final tie for the handsome charity shield presented by Lord Provost Fleming. The Lord Provost, accompanied by Councillor Dunn, on arriving at the field, met with a hearty reception. Previous to the commencement of the game, and at the interval, by the kind permission of Colonel Mathias, the pipe band from Castlehill Barracks discoursed enlivening music, which was appreciated by the spectators. The United turned out at full strength, with the exception of their goalkeeper, and McBean, of the Orion reserves, took his place; while Ritchie, Sangster, and Mackie of the Aberdeen Club, appeared in the Peterhead ranks. The teams were:- Victoria United: McBean; Kilgour, Craig; Bremner, A. Murray, R. Ritchie; Knowles, Ferries, Thom, Duncan, G. Ritchie. Peterhead: Ritchie; Robinson, Reid; Sangster, Hall, Davidson; Shand, MAckie, Imlah, Buchan, Grant. Mr. Nisbet, Cowdenbeath, was referee, and the linesmen were both neutral.

The United kicked off up the incline against a stiff breeze and a strong sun, and immediately attacked, but the ball went out of play. Peterhead next pressed, and forced the first corner, but it proved fruitless. Taking every advantage of the elements, the Buchan brigade forced the play, and repeatedly drove the ball towards McBean, but the United defence cleared at every call. The United's combination now showed up better, and as the result of some smart play on the right wing, Ferries rushed the ball into the net. A previous foul, however, robbed the United of the point. The Peterhead goal had several narrow escapes, Ritchie distinguishing himself with some fine saves. Half-time arrived without either side having scored.

On the restart the wind had fallen considerably, and a slight shower of rain fell. The United were now having the best of the exchanges, and from a scrimmage in front of the Peterhead goal, G. Ritchie shot strongly into the net. Encouraged by their success, the United continued on the aggressive, but erratic shooting robbed them of several likely goals. Some smart play was shown by Shand, the Peterhead right wing, while Mackie was very judicious in his passing, and gave the Peterhead front line every opportunity, but the United defence was strong, and kept the Buchan lads in check. As the result of some very neat passing by Ritchie, Duncan added a second point fir the United. Towards the close Peterhead strove hard for a goal, but were unsuccessful, and the United ran out victors by two goals to nothing, and retain the shield for the second year in succession.

The match was witnessed from reserved seats in the Grand Stand by Lord Provost Fleming, and Councillor Dunn, and among others present were Lieutenant Robertson, V.C.; Messrs John Melville, president of the Charity Committee; James H. Winks, secretary, Charity Committee; J. Philip, treasurer, Charity Committee; W. Jeffrey and John McGowan, members Charity Committee; H. Gaudie, president Victoria United; T. Nicol, president, Orion; and several officials of the Peterhead club. AT the close of the match the large crowd of spectators gathered round the reserved enclosure, when the interesting ceremony of presenting the shield to the captain of the victorious team was gracefully performed by Lord Provost Fleming. Mr. Melville, in a word, called upon the Lord Provost to hand over the trophy. In doing so, the Lord Provost said it had given him great pleasure that afternoon to witness what had been a very interesting game. Before awarding the shield he had to say that up to the time that the shield was presented when they were in the habit of competing in the old way, and they had given altogether 1073. Last year the net result was that there was 50 handed over, and Mr. Melville told him they would have half as much more again this year - 75 at least would be handed over, (cheers.) The could not all be Lord Mount Stephens and give 1000 a year, but they all did their share in helping this local charity, the Infirmary. Had all the clubs competed as they ought to have done at the beginning, a larger sum would have been given. It was a source of great satisfaction to him to know that next year they would all compete. He hoped they would have a larger field and a much larger sum of money would be handed over. It was his duty to hand over his shield to the Victoria United (cheers.) He would just have handed it over with equal pleasure to Peterhead if he had had to do so, for they would have been the best players. The Peterhead people had a very useful institution there called the House of Detention - laughter - and they detained some things in Peterhead for a long time. (Laughter.) He was very glad they were not going to detain the shield, (laugher.) He hoped the Victoria United men would strain their muscles and limbs to keep the shield in Bon-Accord, (cheers.) Lord Provost Fleming then handed the shield to Mr. C. Kilgour, captain of the successful team, and called for three cheers for the Victoria United and Peterhead. The proceedings terminated with lusty cheers for the Lord Provost.

Source: Aberdeen Journal, 26th May 1902

Victoria United Teamsheet:  McBean; Kilgour, Craig; Bremner, A. Murray, R. Ritchie; Knowles, Ferries, Thom, Duncan, G. Ritchie


Peterhead Teamsheet:  Ritchie; Robinson, Reid; Sangster, Hall, Davidson; Shand, Mackie, Imlah, Buchan, Grant


Referee: Mr. Nisbet, Cowdenbeath

Related Links: