Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1946-47 fixture list
Scottish League 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 St. Mirren ABANDONED
    Match abandoned due to heavy rain
Kick Off:  2:20 PM   Hamilton, Williams        
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Rain kills match
Despite the elements both sides played some attractive football. George Hamilton carved his way through the middle leaving Saints defenders failing in his wake to give the Aberdeen the lead in 17 minutes. Stan Williams added a second 3 minutes later to complete the first half scoring.

Up to 6 minutes into the second half the pitch that churned up so much that referee J. Calder of Edinburgh was left with little option but to abandon the match. There were few dissenting voices.

Source: Match Programme, 4th February 1984

The players would have been better equipped with oilskins and sou-westers. Rain poured down until a slight and wind blew in from the sea and gale force. It looked as if the teams weren't to resume after the breather but they finally got going - for 6 minutes only. Then the referee said "Enough." Never have players accepted marching orders so willingly.
On a pitch like a ploughed field, Deakin should have scored for Saints in the first minute after Watson had dropped Stenhouse's shot. How Deakin managed to loft the ball over was a mystery. George Hamilton soon had dawns, with the gale behind them, into battle formation. His opening goal in the glaur was a masterpiece. He went through like an arrow to where the ball past Newlands. Williams goal, within 2 minutes was also slick. The winger cut in neatly to take his spot.

Criticism of play under the conditions would be pointless. Saints showed grand spirit, we're tough in defence, and had a deadly left wing. With "gale advantage," there's no saying what might have happened.

Source: Sunday Post, 12th January 1947

Weather Wins at Pittodire

There were no complaints at Pittodrie when Referee Calder, Edinburgh, abandoned the Aberdeen-St Mirren match six minutes after the interval.

Although conditions were no worse than when the game started the players - and the 7000 hardy souls who huddled in the ground - must have been suffering from the cold and exposure.
The game was played on a muddy ground, heavily sanded, and swept by a gale of wind and rain. The conditions were all against skilled football, yet the Dons, with the elements behind them in the opening period, contrived to play combined football.
Newlands, the St Mirren keeper, was twice beaten in the first twenty minutes, and this total might well nave been doubled before the interval had the Aberdeen forwards been less reckless with their scoring chances.
George Hamilton's opening goal in seventeen minutes will go down in history as one of Pittodrie's classic scoring efforts.
He accepted a return pass from Harris and raced down the middle with the ball at his feet. Three Mirren defenders made vain effort to stay his progress. Finally, confronted by the Paisley 'keeper, he coolly placed the ball in the net well out of Newland's reach.
Three minutes later Hamilton sent McCall away on the left. The winger put Williams in possession and the South African smartly found the net with an angular drive.
During the fifty-one minutes played the Dons were the better belanced side, although they got a fright in the opening minutes when Watson dropped a lob from Stenhouse and Deakin sent over an empty goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 13th January 1947

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Watson; Cooper, Cowie; McLaughlin, Dunlop, Waddell; Kiddie, Hamilton, Harris, Williams, McCall

St. Mirren ABANDONED Teamsheet:  Newlands; Telfer, Drinkwater; Stenhouse, Lindsay, Cunningham; Smith, Telford, Wilson, Deakin, McLaren


Referee: Mr. J. Calder, Edinburgh

Related Links: