Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1911-12 fixture list
Aberdeen 2 - 3 Stenhousemuir
Kick Off:    Neilson, Jackson.       Skene, Skene, Niven  
Attendance: 0
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Friendly At Pittodrie
Stenhousemuir were somewhat lucky to beat Aberdeen A at Pittodrie. The home 11 included several juniors, yet but for weak finishing they would have made at least a draw. They were quite value for such a result. The crowd was fairly large.

Aberdeen lost the toss, but made ground right from the kick-off. Scott had a commendable try, though hampered by three opponents. After 10 minutes' play, Aberdeen took the lead. The local forwards had a nice combined run two wards Connell. The backs were soon wandered, and Neilson, who was on the lookout for an opening, lost no time in taking advantage of it. He shot hard and true. The ball rebounded off the keeper's upturned hands into the net. Scott's play was delightful to watch. He sent over a superb pass from the centre to Dalziel, and the winger placed it square in front of goal. Connell rushed out to clear, but missed the leather. Neilson got his head on it, and sent over the bar. The visitors attacked but their efforts like finish.
The 'Muir were more in the game know. Aberdeen's defence was as firm as a rock. In crossing Jackson was very weak. As a rule his passes landed at the feet of one of the backs. The winger forced a corner, and placed well in front of the net. A foul by a local forward spoiled the advantage. Aberdeen were the superior lot, and ought to have had a crop of goals and be taken proper advantage of all their openings. After a long period of idleness King had to look lively. The 'Muir were not to be shaken off so easily as before. A pass from the left was picked up by Skene, who scored. Up to this point Skene had done nothing worth speaking about. He was always on the lookout for an opening, however, and when he got it he made sure of the matter. Findlay had a great drive, which deserved a better fate. It was somewhat wide, Aberdeen were determined to take the league, but failed.


On the game being resumed Aberdeen attacked. Scott had a good try, which Connell saved on the post. The attack, however, was brief, and Aberdeen had to defend. Skene sent out to the left, and the winger after making much ground centred beautifully. Skene, who was waiting for the cross, give his team the lead within 3 minutes of the resumption. It was a cleverly-taken point, one of the best seen at Pittodrie four weeks. Play was much more interesting. The locals forced a fruitless corner. Still another similar advantage was secured, and again it proved of no avail. There was no shaking off the Aberdonians, and three more fruitless corners resulted, all given away by Connell in clearing.
After and towards King by the visitors, Jackson up gained the equaliser. The winger almost from the touch-line sent in a hot shot. The ball glided into the net after Connell had touched it. Subsequent play was fast and vigorous. The 'Muir played with great determination, and once again took the lead. A cross from the left was converted by Niven. Jackson was given an opportunity, but he hesitated to long before shooting, and a foot came in the way. McDonald missed by inches - another chance of the equalising having gone. The visitors' goal had numerous narrow escapes. Aberdeen were too anxious near goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 2nd January 1912

Aberdeen Teamsheet: 

Unused Subs:


Stenhousemuir Teamsheet: 



Related Links: