Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1927-28 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Cowdenbeath 2 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Rankin 17, Leonard       McDermid 86, Smith 90.  
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Central Park, Cowdenbeath
About 3000 spectators were present at Central Park, Cowdenbeath, where Aberdeen were the visitors. The game was on the whole uninteresting, the home men being considerably below their best form except in shooting, while Aberdeen put more force than skill into their play. A drawn game of two goals each was the result, and neither side had any reason to complain thereat. The first half was evenly contested, but the better finishing of Cowdenbeath justified their interval lead of one goal, Rankin having scored in twenty minutes. Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges in the second half, but they again shot badly, and in twenty five minutes Leonard headed a second goal for the home men from a cross by Pullar. This should have made victory sure for Cowdenbeath, but in the closing stages their defence failed them, and McDermid and Smith each counted for Aberdeen in the last three minutes, both goals coming as the result of scrummages in the home goalmouth that should easily have been avoided.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th December 1927

Aberdeen picked useful point at Cowdenbeath where a last minute rally enabled them to divide four goals. It was a fast and interesting game throughout, with honours even over the piece, and the result did justice to both. Cowdenbeath had the pull in the first half, and Aberdeen were a shade superior after the interval. Four minutes from the close the visitors were two goals in arrears, but they persevered, and in a thrilling finish just managed to draw level. Both teams were well served in defence, although there was a tendency to become flustered under pressure. Both sets of forwards were clever in midfield, but were not particularly dangerous near goal. Aberdeen were well served by Blackwell, Jackson, Bruce (D.), Black, McHale, Falloon, and McDermid, and Cowdenbeath by Falconer, McDonald, Glancy, Chambers, Rankin, and Lindsay. The attendance was only about 3000.


Cowdenbeath took the offensive at the start, Wilson shooting wide when well placed, and at the other end, Falloon was dispossessed when about to shoot. An effort by Pullar was deflected over the bar by Blackwell. There was a claim for a penalty kick for "hands" against McHale, but this was turned down, and later, Pullar and Wilson both centred in rear of the Aberdeen goal. A fine shot by Lindsay was only slightly high, and a centre by Falloon was wasted because there was no colleague up to connect. Later Smith lost a chance by failing to retain his foothold. After 17 minutes, Rankin accepted a pass from Lindsay to beat Blackwell from twelve yards' range. Aberdeen retaliated in spirited style, and McDermid netted, but it was alleged he had used his hands, and the point was not allowed. After a clever run, Cosgrove shot wide, and during a hot attack by Cowdenbeath, Blackwell saved in quick succession from Lindsay and Rankin, but Leonard was not far off with a snap shot. Aberdeen had chance, but McDermid shot weakly, and then Falconer saved a fast centre by Falloon. Towards the interval, each goal was visited in turn. Falconer fisted clear from Cosgrove, and Blackwell saved a good shot by Rankin, but there was no further scoring before half-time.


Cowdenbeath made the running at the start of the second half, but the Aberdeen defence prevailed, and later Blackwell fielded a cross from Pullar. Following this, the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape, when out of his charge Blackwell deflected a shot by Lindsay, later to recover possession and clear. Falloon led Aberdeen to the other end where McDermid shot wildly, and later Falconer fisted clear from the Aberdeen right winger's centre. Aberdeen kept up the attack, and off another centre by Falloon, Smith had a terrific drive deflected over the bar by Falconer. Cowdenbeath were largely on the defensive, but their wingers occasionally broke away. From one of these rushes, Blackwell brought off a spectacular save from Wilson. A free kick by Smith was cleverly turned in by R. Bruce, but Falconer deflected the ball round the post. When play was favouring Aberdeen, Cowdenbeath got a second goal. Pullar broke away and centred against the upright, and Leonard, running in, netted from close range. Aberdeen protested that the scorer had used his hands, but their appeal was ignored by the referee. Subsequently more was seen of the Cowdenbeath attack. Blackwell saved from Dixon, and Lindsay sent a great shot against the crossbar. McHale had free kick blocked, and Smith from out on the wing sent against the side net, but Aberdeen continued to put a spirited attack, R. Bruce and Falloon both shooting wide.
Four minutes from the end McDermid followed up, and meeting the ball as it rebounded off Moyes, beat Falconer from close range. Encouraged by this success, the visitors kept up a vigorous attack, and after McHale had placed a free kick in the last minute, Smith got the ball during a mix up in front of the home goal and forced it over the line. The final whistle sounded immediately afterwards.

Source: Press & Journal, 12th December 1927

Cowdenbeath Teamsheet:  Falconer; McDonald, Moyes; Glancy, Dixon, Chambers; Pullar, Rankin, Lindsay, Leonard, Wilson


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Blackwell, Jackson, Bruce, Black, McHale, Lawson, Falloon, Cosgrove, Bruce, McDermid, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell

Related Links: