Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2020-21 fixture list
Scottish Premiership 
Hamilton 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Ogkmpoe 49       Hedges 19.  
Attendance: 0
Venue: New Douglas Park, Hamilton
Dons held at Hamilton
A wholly dominant first half from the Dons was followed by a frustrating second period as two valuable points got away from them in Hamilton.

Following Sunday's defeat at Rangers, and with only Niall McGinn able to return from those missing at Ibrox, Derek McInnes made two changes to his side, Dean Campbell and Curtis Main back in the starting XI in place of Shay Logan and Ryan Edmondson who dropped to the bench. McGinn started the game from the bench.

Bottom of the table Hamilton, beaten 2-1 at Dundee United Saturday, their fifth straight league defeat, named an unchanged starting line-up.

The Dons moved the ball nicely around the pitch in the second minute, winning a corner, but frustratingly, it came to nothing, ending with Matty Kennedy firing over the bar. The game evened out into a more attritional spell thereafter, neither able to create anything of note, both sides working hard to deny the other space.

Aberdeen finally worked that space and grabbed a 19th minute lead. It was Kennedy's ball into the box, a mixture of Sam Cosgrove and an Accies defender cushioning the ball back towards the edge of the box and, coming quickly onto it, Ryan Hedges took his shot first time and crashed it past Fulton.

It was nearly 2-0 just two minutes later, Cosgrove drifting inside from the left before trying to drive the ball into the far corner, Fulton at full stretch, tipping the ball away and onto the post, a terrific save as the visitors upped the tempo to good effect.

A lovely curling ball into the box on the half hour from Hedges almost had Main in, going for the diving header only to see Easton pinch the ball away at the crucial moment. Aberdeen were very much on top by now, Accies dropping deeper and deeper to try to counter the threat as the Dons turned the screw.

Main beat the offside trap down the left in the 38th minute before firing in a dangerous ball across goal, Fulton palming it away, Easton just able to scramble the ball away to safety from in front of the oncoming Cosgrove. There was concern for the Dons four minutes later when Hedges took a heavy fall after contesting a ball in the Accies box, but he was able to continue after treatment. The half ended shortly afterwards, 45 minutes fairly short on incident but with the Dons in complete control of the game


The Dons fell for a sucker punch and found themselves level in the 49th minute. A looping ball in from McMann from a soft free-kick 40 yards out travelled all the way into the six yard box where Ogkmpoe was given time to cushion his header back across goal and just inside the far post although he looked offside. The goal gave Accies a fresh spring in their step while the Dons were knocked off their stride for a few minutes.

The game was much more even now and the home side enjoyed a spell around the hour mark when they were able to keep Aberdeen pinned in their own last third. Gradually though, the Dons managed to reassert their authority, Leigh getting some joy down the left hand side.

Ogkmpoe made way for Moyo in the 75th minute and then Ryan Edmondson and Niall McGinn were introduced two minutes later for Main and Leigh as Aberdeen looked to find a way through to all three points. Winter was the next change, on for Smith in the 80th minute as the game was in danger of becoming becalmed. The game's first yellow card went to Scott Martin in the 82nd minute for a poor challenge on Funso Ojo.

From the free-kick, the Dons came close, Kennedy cracking in a fine shot from the edge of the box as the ball was half cleared, Fulton making a very good save to his left. Hedges was onto the rebound quickly, his shot into the ground looking like it might creep in, only to see it headed away off the line.

As we headed into three minutes of added time, Odoffin went into the book for a foul on McGinn as the game couldn't rise above its scrappy second half nature, epitomised by McGinn getting in behind only to shank his cross behind. It was that kind of second half.

It could have been worse too, a last second ball played back to Moyo ten yards out. He shifted his feet quickly and drove for goal, Lewis making a stunning one handed save away to his right to secure the point.

Hamilton Teamsheet:  Fulton, Odoffin, McMann, Stirling, Easton, S. Martin, Ogkmpoe (Moyo 75), A. Martin, Hodson, C. Smith (Winter 80), Callachan

Unused Substitutes: Gourlay, Hamilton, Hughes, Stanger, Mmnaugh, Munro, Thomas

Bookings:  S. Martin 82,   Odoffin 90

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Lewis, Hoban, Considine, Leigh (McGinn 77), Ojo, Main (Edmondson 77), Hedges, Taylor, Cosgrove, Campbell, Kennedy.

Unused Subs: Woods, Logan, Devlin, Hernandez, Ngwenya, , Duncan.


Referee: Gavin Duncan

Related Links: