Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1928-29 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 Dundee
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Cheyne, Yorston, McDermid, Cheyne.        
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
DUNDEE CRASH AT ABERDEEN. Home Forwards in Form.
Aberdeen gained a decisive victory in the northern "Derby" at Pittodrie where Dundee crashed by four goals to nothing. It was a disappointing game in which the play of neither side reached a high level, and at times it was difficult to believe Dundee were fighting for their survival in the First Division of the League.
Dundee frequently maintained long periods of pressure, but their forwards were woefully weak in front of goal, and they lost as many chances as would have won the game for their side. The opinion was general that the Dens Park team was one of the weakest seen at Pittodrie this season. They were indifferently served in the inside forward positions, and lack of support kept their extreme wingers from being effective. Brown and Paton at back both failed to reproduce their best form, and the play of Thomson at centre-half and Crawford at left half, was also very moderate.

Dundee's Two Successes.

There were really only two successes on the side. Marsh in goal gave a brilliant display and but for him the score would have been much greater. McNab played heroically both in defence and attack. Repeatedly he endeavoured to rally his colleagues, but all to no avail.
Even without reproducing anything approaching their best form, Aberdeen were much superior. The forwards were much nippier than those of Dundee. Ably led by Yorston, they repeatedly had the Dens Park defence in a tangle. Love and Smith, on the extreme wings, had many dashing runs and the combination between Cheyne, Yorston, and McDermid was the feature of the game.
All three half-backs, especially McHale, played finely. Jackson was the better back, and Yuill in goal brought off many clever saves.

How Goals Came.

It was rather against the balance of play when Cheyne opened the scoring for Aberdeen after twenty minutes. He let go a shot, and Brown, below the bar, in attempting to kick clear, only helped the ball into the net. Previous to this Campbell and O'Hare had both missed glorious chances for Dundee. There was no further scoring before the interval.
Aberdeen were lackadaisical for the first fifteen minutes of the second half, and Yuill's charge ran several narrow escapes. The Dundee forwards still lacked punch, although the home goalkeeper was frequently called upon.

Dundee Overwhelmed.

After being kept on defence for a time, Aberdeen rallied, and, accepting a pass from Yorston, Cheyne rattled on a second goal. After this Dundee fell away appreciably and Marsh had a busy time in goal.
Further success was overdue when Yorston met the ball from a defender's clearance to slip through a third goal, and it was no surprise when McDermid brought the total up to four. Dundee were overwhelmed in the closing minutes, and Marsh alone kept down the score. There were 12,000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 25th March 1929

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Yuill, Jackson, Livingstone, Black, McHale, Hill, Love, Cheyne, Yorston, McDermid, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Marsh; Brown, Paton; McNab, Thomson, Crawford; Lawley, Campbell, O'Hare, Nicholson


Referee: A. H. Leishaman, Falkirk

Related Links: