Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Cowdenbeath
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Yorston 2, Love 25.        
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen Have Good Win Over Cowdenbeath
The opening match of the season at Aberdeen between Aberdeen and Cowdenbeath was played in fine weather and attracted an attendance of about 16,000 spectators. A keen contest was won by Aberdeen by 2 goals to 0; but, as the play went, a division of the points would not have been an inequitable result. Cowdenbeath were a shade the better side until the last half-hour, when the home men were usually the aggressors. There was much good shooting during the match, and consequently the goalkeepers had man opportunities of proving their worth. Both Smith, Aberdeen, and Edwards, Cowdenbeath, did splendid work, and the latter, if he lost two goals, could not be blamed on either occasion. He was also beaten by a fine shot by McLean which struck the crossbar; but, if Aberdeen were unlucky then, Cowdenbeath were equally unfortunate when balls sent in by Paterson and Anderson also hit the bar. Venters did the best shooting for Cowdenbeath and only Smith's clever handling prevented him scoring several times. Aberdeen were no so strong as Cowdenbeath at full back, but they had a distinct pull at half back, Frame being well below his best for the losers owing to an ankle injury. An Aberdeen recruit, McMeekin, of Parkhead, played smart football at inside left, and Cowdenbeath's new wing forwards, McKennan, from Greenock Morton, and Stewart, from Shettleston, showed distinct promise of becoming useful acquisitions to the side. Cowdenbeath's combination was the cleverer, and they kept the ball on the ground well, but some of the passing was too close to be really effective. Aberdeen's more open methods could have been adopted with advantage. The two goals were scored by Yorston and Love in two and twenty-five minutes of the first half respectively.

Source: The Scotsman, 10th August 1931

Aberdeen scored a comfortable victory over Cowdenbeath before a large crowd at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, largely as a result of the forcing play of their half-backs. The defence was not too steady under pressure and the Cowdenbeath forwards missed chances through poor finishing. Both goals were scored in the first half, Yorston getting the first after only two minutes' play, and Love the other.
Cowdenbeath were well served in defence and their two new players, McKennan and Stewart, were prominent on the wings. Aberdeen's newcomer, McMeekin, opened promisingly but fell away somewhat in the later stages.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 10th August 1931

Aberdeen went off with a bang, and 18,000 spectators saw them defeat Cowdenbeath at Pittodrie in more decisive fashion than the 2-0 victory suggests.

But for the grand display of Edwards in goal for the visitors Aberdeen's total might have been trebled. Brilliand throughout, this player, who on previous occasions has defied Aberdeen when playing for Morton, was especially so in the second half, for the greater part of which he was subjected to a fierce bombardment.
In the first half, when both goals were scored, there was not a great deal of difference between the teams. But if the Cowdenbeath forwards could have accepted their opportunities, the teams, despite the slight superiority of Aberdeen during the period, might have been level at the interval.
It was after that that Aberdeen took a relentless grip of the game, and practically all the play was confined to Cowdenbeath territory.

Yorston and Love Count

There was a tendency for tempers to become ruffled in the slosing period, and the referee had several times to intervene.
Aberdeen scored in two minutes when, from a lob by Black, Yorston jumped high to head the ball out of Edward's reach. The second goal came after 25 minutes' play, and although Love was the scorer, Yorston had big hand in it.
In possession, the centre-forward found his way barred but he deftly slipped the ball through to Love who easily netted from close range.
Throughout the half both sets of forwards were very lively, and the defenders had to put in all they knew.

Narrow Escapes

Right at the start Yorston accepted from McDermid to wallop in a great shot, which Edwards only cleared at the second attempt. Then came the first goal, which was followed by narrow escapes of Smith's charge. Paterson was high with a great effort, and Smith brought off a spectacular save from Venters. On another occasion the Aberdeen goalkeeper lying on the ground, scraped the ball away from Anderson. A burst by McMeekin resulted in Edwards holding his cross-shot, and after Smith had several times been called upon again, Yorston met a Love cross to head on top of the bar.

Fierce Struggle

Aberdeen's second goal interrupted a great end-to-end struggle, and but for over-eagerness would have at least netted once. Just on the interval a terrific drive by McLean found the crossbar, and that player met the rebound to send in another fierce shot for Edwards to bring off a remarkable save.
A hot shot by Stewart in the first minute reflected the fight that was in Cowdenbeath, but gradually the Aberdeen half-backs asserted themselves. They kept plying the ball ahead, and the forwards responded in fine style.

Great Goalkeeping

Shot after shot was rained in on Edwards, but he was unbeatable, and time and again his work earned the plaudits of the crowd. Once he would have been beaten by McLean, but Johnstone headed clear from the goal line, and on another occasion Russell saved the situation. The keeper had a number of miraculous saves, a notable one being when his knee got in the way of a close range effort from McMeekin.
Once Yorston was left with only Edwards to beat, and from a yard out he tipped the ball against the post. Near the close Hill when racing through was brought down by a defender in the penalty area, but Love, who took the spot kick, missed the goal.
Cowdenbeath had several sallies in the period, but generally their attack was not much in evidence after the interval.
For Aberdeen the best players were Smith, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, Yorston, and McLean. McMeekin, who made his debut, showed clever touches without reproducing his fine form shown in the trial match.
The honours of the game rested with the Cowdenbeath defence, in which Edwards was a hero, and was accorded an ovation at the close. Others who were outstanding in the visitors' defence were Russell and Frame, and in a clever attack Venters, Stewart, and McKennan were best.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th August 1931

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, Jackson, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, McDermid, Yorston, McMeekin, McLean.

Unused Subs:


Cowdenbeath Teamsheet:  Edwards; Johnstone, Russell; Campbell, Frame, Menzies; McKennan, Anderson, Paterson, Venters, Stewart


Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell

Related Links: