Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 0 Leith Athletic
Kick Off:  6:45 PM   Love 46.        
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
ABERDEEN JUST MANAGE. Leith Beaten By Only Goal.
Aberdeen and Leith Athletic had a very stiffly contested match at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, yesterday evening, before 6000 spectators. Aberdeen deserved their victory, though by the only goal of the match. The scorer was the right-winger Love, from a neat timely pass by Beattie, his inside partner, at present on trial from Hall Russell's Shipbuilding and Engineering team. Later on Bettie brought Boyce, the Leith Athletic custodian, to his knees to save a fast grounder, which looked exceedingly dangerous. In the first half, although there had been no scoring, Aberdeen had had the better of the play. Leith Athletic were saved through consistent defensive play on the part of Boyce and the two backs, Bruce and Lockie, while Reid at centre half-back, also did particularly well. Among the forwards Pullar, the right-winger; Nicol, centre, who had the best tries for goal; and McColl, whose distribution was a great asset for his side, were outstanding. Aberdeen played with steadiness throughout. Their right-wingers excelled, while on the left wing Galloway, Aberdeen's acquisition from Raith Rovers, gave great promise of future usefulness. The Leith Athletic's custodian and hacks had reason to beware of his attacks. McLaren and Hill, in the half-back line, showed their ability in keeping the forwards well supplied with the ball. Both Cooper and Jackson at back were steady. It was a match in which Leith Athletic put up a very creditable display.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd September 1931



At Pittodrie Park last night, before 6000 spectators, Aberdeen scraped through against Leith Athletic by the only goal of the match, scored by Love in the second half.

It was a drab and uninteresting game between two mediocre sides who displayed few of the finer points of the game.
Leith, although beaten, were not disgraced, as Aberdeen were just value for their one goal. The only bright feature of the match was the fine form shown by Galloway, the ex-Raith Rovers player, and Beattie, whom the Pittodrie board signed on last week.
Galloway on the left wing was clever on the ball, and deft movements gave the impression that he would have done even better in the inside position.

Fine Partnership.

Beattie struck up a fine understanding with Love, and he certainly knew where the goal lay. He made an impressive debut, although he appeared to tire a little in the second period, when he came by a foot injury which bothered him until the finish.
The Pittodrie defence was none too steady under pressure, and more than once the Athletic looked like equalising.
Hill was the best of the half-backs. Leith were best served in defence by Bruce and Robinson, and in attack by Pullar, the veteran McColl, and McWilliams.

Description of Play.

Aberdeen wore black bands as a token of respect to the memory of the late "Danny" McKenzie, who died on Tuesday morning.

Aberdeen won the toss, and Leith kicked off against the breeze. McLaren stopped the new Leaguers' initial attack, and Aberdeen made progress on the right, but Beattie shot feebly past.
Neither team seemed able to overcome the handicap caused by the high wind, and play in the early stages was ragged and rather uninteresting.
Excitement rose when McLaren drove in a great shot from a free kick, but Reid's head saved a likely counter.

McDermid's Corner.,/p> McDermid forced a corner on the left, and Boyce fisted clear from Galloway.
McWilliams broke away on the Athletic left, and cutting in drove only slightly wide.
Aberdeen got a fright when Cooper fell, and McWilliams got through to give to Nicol. The centre had a clear view of the goal, and only a superhuman effort by Smith saved the situation.
Boyce had to look lively on two occasions to save snap shots from McDermid, and he stopped but could not hold a terrific drive from Love.
Leith were quite sprightly in attack, but they could finish no better than Aberdeen, and halftime came with no scoring.

Aberdeen's Goal.

The second half was only a minute old when Aberdeen took the lead.
Beattie slipped to Love, and the winger cut to drive a terrific low volley into the net.
Aberdeen became quite lively after this, and Boyce did well to save from Love at the expense of a corner. From the flag kick the 'keeper held from Yorston.
Leith retaliated vigorously, and McColl almost counted, and Smith saved from Laidlaw.
Smith was again in action to Pullar, and Black kicked clear in the nick of time. Aberdeen came away strongly, and from a nice Love cross Beattie struck the crossbar.

Going Great Guns.

Love and Beattie were going great guns on the home right, and the inside man brought Boyce down with a fast grounder.
The visitors came within ace of counting when Smith ran out to block a McWilliams' try, and Robinson missed narrowly with a smart effort.
Clever work by Galloway brought the Athletic goal into danger, and Boyce saved a snap shot from Yorston. It was half an hour after the start when Beattie came by a foot injury.
McColl let McWilliams away the Leith left, but the defence managed to clear the winger's cross.

Narrow Squeaks.

The Aberdeen goal ran several narrow escapes towards the end, but so did Leith's, especially when Bruce got in the way of a sure counter from Galloway.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd September 1931

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, Jackson, Black, McLaren, Hill, Love, Beattie, Yorston, McDermid, Galloway.

Unused Subs:


Leith Athletic Teamsheet:  Boyce; Bruce, Leckie; Robinson, Reid, Crawford; Pullar, Laidlaw, Nicol, McColl, McWilliams


Referee: J. Thomson, Burnbank

Related Links: