Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Dundee
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Love.       Craigie  
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
MARSH DEFIES ABERDEEN. Great Goalkeeping at Pittodrie.
Aberdeen and Dundee drew in their match at Pittodrie with one goal each, though it was all against the run of play that Dundee should have secured a goal through Craigie, the centre forward. The equaliser came from Love a few minutes later with a swift oblique shot. Aberdeen's claims to win, however, must be qualified by criticism against their failure to score more than one goal. Two were practically thrown away by the failure of Yorston and McLean to tip the ball into the net at close quarters. Even the troublesomeness of the sunshine in the eyes of the players could scarcely excuse those and other instances of lack of ball control. There was always the fear in the minds of the 14,000 spectators that when there was scoring it might not be for the Pittodrie players, and Craigie proved that surmise to be correct. Dundee's defence was a feature of the match, especially of the second half. In this Marsh, the custodian, excelled, ably supported by the right back, Brown, and the left-back, Blyth. Both the inside men among the Aberdeen forwards - Campbell and Robertson - were the best. Love and McDermid on the right wing of Aberdeen's attack were prominent, as was also Galloway, the inside left man. What Smith, the custodian, got to do he did satisfactorily, as did also the backs, Cooper and Jackson.

Source: The Scotsman, 7th September 1931



There were about 17,000 spectators at Pittodrie, where Aberdeen and Dundee each scored once. The result was a contradiction to the run of play, as except in the all-important matter of scoring, Aberdeen were immeasurably superior.
That Dundee got a point was almost entirely due to the brilliance of Marsh in goal. In the first half Aberdeen were at a disadvantage with breeze and sun, but they quickly took up the offensive, and were aggressors for most the period. The half-backs and forwards worked finely together, and Galloway, tried at inside left, engineered many clever movements.
Dundee on the other hand were disjointed in attack, and except for occasional raids by Campbell and Robertson, the home defence was not seriously tested.

Grand Goalkeeping.

Many fierce shots were delivered by the Aberdeen attackers, but Marsh proved unbeatable. On one occasion Galloway fired in a lightning effort for Marsh to tip brilliantly over the bar. The 'keeper was repeatedly in action, but while his backs were overwhelmed he never faltered, and covered them up in masterly style.
More than one opening came the way of the Aberdeen forwards, but they were over-eager and frequently shot rashly or failed to connect.

A Miss.

On one occasion Yorston got through on the right, but with only Marsh in front, the cenfre-forward, who was at an awkward angle, sent against the outside of the net. On the run of play Dundee were fortunate indeed to be level at the interval.
For half an hour after resuming Aberdeen virtually bombarded Marsh's goal, but the 'keeper continued to defy them, and with his backs getting inspiration from his splendid work, they, too, showed great determination.

A Sensation.

Time and again it seemed the long-overdue goal would accrue Aberdeen, but just when it appeared imminent that the visitors' goal would fall Dundee actually took the lead. McNab fastened on to a rather indecisive clearance by Jackson to lob the ball beyond the home backs, and Craigie, dashing through, beat the advancing Smith in a desperate race and tipped into an untenanted goal.

Efforts Rewarded.

The reverse staggered Aberdeen, who, for the next few minutes, were very shaky, and had Craigie been less impetuous he might have increased his team's lead instead of sending wide with only Smith in front.
Aberdeen ultimately rallied, and five minutes later Love, from close in, crashed home the equaliser after Morgan had failed to clear a ground cross by McLean.
Subsequently Aberdeen attacked desperately, but the Dundee defence had stiffened up, and held out to the end.

Aberdeen Superior.

On the balance of play Aberdeen might have won by half a dozen goals. Marsh's play was the dominating feature of the game. It was to the credit of his backs that, although overwhelmed, they never gave in, and finished strongly. The half-backs were not so good as the Aberdeen trio, and in a disjointed forward line Campbell and Robertson were best.
Smith had not a great deal to do in the Aberdeen goal, and was sound. Cooper was the better back, and all three middlemen were good, Fraser on the right making an impressive debut.
Galloway at Inside left was the best forward the on field, with Love and McLean next in order.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th September 1931

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, Jackson, Fraser, McLaren, Hill, Love, McDermid, Yorston, Galloway, McLean.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Marsh; Brown, Morgan; McNab, Arnot, Blyth; Lynch, Campbell, Craigie, Robertson, Troup


Referee: T. Dougray, Bellshill

Related Links: