Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1931-32 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Hughes, Wilson        
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Aberdeem Miss Chances
At Celtic Park, before an attendance of 7000, the home team had a strong wind in their favour during the first half, but it was not until the interval was very near that they managed to pierce the Aberdeen defence. Smith, in the visitors' goal, had, however, most to do with their non-success, as he was in splendid form. Although the Dons were still without their prominent players who have been left out lately, the situation was balanced by the absence of Kennaway, Geatons, A. Thomson, Scarff, and McGrory. On few occasions during the first half did Aberdeen get near the home goal, so much of the attack had the Celtic. Hughes opened the scoring. The next minute Peter Wilson added a second with a long, high drive, giving the home side a two-goal margin. Aberdeen had naturally a better share of the attack in the second half, but they found Celts' defence was sound, Falconer in the home goal displaying fine form. Although they had many good tries, the visitors failed to score, and Celtic won with their first half advantage. Smith, at inside right, played a splendid game for the winners, but their centre and left wing were weak. The halves kept the game going, however, and had most to do with the victory. Aberdeen were best served by their goalkeeper and backs, although Falloon was a tremendous worker and did his best to force on his forwards. Generally speaking, however, the visitors' attack was held in subjection by McStay and his colleagues.

Source: Scotsman, 11th January 1932

At Parkhead on Saturday Celtic dominated forward play in the opening stages, but must have considered themselves fortunate to turn two goals up. Had Aberdeen taken the three good openings offered them, Celtic's battle would have been harder, but they did not, and therein lay the basis of their defeat.
Celtic were the more aggressive lot in the first half, but Aberdeen made light of the wind handicap until a simple slip through was followed by Solis slicing a shot which sent the ball across to Hughes, who, on the run, clocked the ball past the outcoming Smith. One minute later, and two minutes from the interval, Wilson, with a spectacular shot from 40 yards, scored Celtic's second goal, Smith evidently having misjudged the flight of the ball, which dropped behind him and entered the net.
Against this Armstrong, Beattie, and Jackson had all missed good chances, and after the interval it was more apparent than ever that neither team carried a scorer. Both goals were assailed in turn, but never seemed to be in much danger of falling.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 11th January 1932


Both Defences Shine at Parkhead.

Aberdeen put up a spirited fight against Celtic at Parkhead, and had the fates been kind to them they would at least have drawn instead of losing 2-0. Following heavy rain, the ground was in a wretched state, and there was a gale of wind which was a disturbing factor throughout. Aberdeen had to face the gale in the first half, and the conditions dictated that Celtic should do most of, the attacking. They carried out many clever outfield movements, but were inclined to play too closely, and dour Aberdeen defence presented few openings. Early on Solis had a comparatively easy chance but missed the ball, and shots by practically all the home forwards were off the mark.

Aberdeen's Misses.

In their occasional raids, Aberdeen were dangerous, and to counter the miss by Solis were three distinct chances which Aberdeen might have accepted.
For the most part Celtic were attackers, but their finishing was erratic, although Smith had one or two splendid efforts. One of these appeared to be going in near the post when the Aberdeen goalkeeper brought off a spectacular save. The 'keeper also saved finely from McStey. Armstrong had a good chance for Aberdeen, but dallied and was robbed of possession. Jackson ultimately fastened on, but sent wide from favourable position.
In another Aberdeen raid Warnock centred to Armstrong, but the centre-forward could only "roll" the ball into Falconer's hands. Aberdeen's goalkeeper was frequently in action, but was splendidly supported by his backs and Falloon, the latter excelling in spoiling tactics.

Celtic's Escape.

The Celtic goal had a narrow escape when, after McDermid had cut in and squared, Whitelaw, in an effort to clear, just missed his own goal. On another occasion Jackson, when well placed, sent wide.
Five minutes from the interval an unexpected success came to Celtic. Solis met a centre by Thomson to attempt a shot at goal, but his effort developed into a square and Hughes, running in, left Smith helpless.
Two minutes later Celtic got a second goal. Wilson essayed a touchline lob from nearly forty yards out, and with the wind causing it to swerve, the ball dropped into the net behind the Aberdeen goalkeeper, who was beaten as he jumped to intercept.
Despite their more frequent attacks, Celtic were fortunate to have a 2-0 lead at the interval.
Against the wind Aberdeen had put up a wonderful defence, and had their forwards kept their "heads" when opportunity presented, they might have been on the lead.
With the wind behind them it looked as if Aberdeen would make up the arrears in the second half. In attack they had as much of the game as Celtic had earlier, but their forwards were singularly ineffective in front of goal, and shooting was a lost art.

Falloon's Tries.

Two of the best efforts came from Falloon. One of these just missed scoring by inches, and the other was brilliantly saved by Falconer.
Celtic had many dangerous raids and with a little steadiness might have gone further ahead. Falloon, who played a great defensive game, dashed in on one occasion when Napier was in the act of shooting, and once Hughes sent over with Smith out of his goal. Aberdeen continued their reluctance to shoot, with the exception of a great try by Dickie near the close which Falconer brilliantly deflected, the Celtic goal was seldom in danger.

Spoiling Wind.

As a spectacle the game was spoilt by the strong wind.
The honours went to the defence of both sides. Aberdeen were splendidly served by Smith, Cooper, McGill and Falloon in defence, but Fraser and Dickie also showed to advantage. Beattie and McDermid were the best of the forwards, all of whom should have indulged more in shooting.
Outstanding for Celtic were Falconer, Cook, McGonagle, McStey, and Wilson. In the attack, Thomson and Napier were easily best. There were only about 4000 spectators.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th January 1932

Celtic Teamsheet:  Falconer; Cook, McGonagle; Wilson, McStay, Whitelaw; E. Thomson, Smith, Hughes, Napier, S


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Dickie, Warnock, Beattie, Armstrong, Jackson, McDermid.

Unused Subs:


Referee: T. Small, Dundee

Related Links: