Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1932-33 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Clyde 2 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:           
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow

Clyde Deserving of the Spoils


Aberdeen were expected to take a point from their return fixture with Clyde at Shawfield but instead they lost 2-0, and it cannot be said that Clyde did not deserve their victory.

For the first forty minutes Aberdeen were as dangerous as their opponents. Then came Clyde's first goal, and with the scoring of the second five minutes after the resumption, issue was seldom in doubt.
The first point was a doubtful one.
Boyd met a McGurk cross with his head and the ball struck the underside of the crossbar and rebounded behind Smith, who had advanced out of his goal to meet the winger's cross.
The 'keeper wheeled round and caught the ball as it bounced for off the ground, but the referee's whistle had gone for a goal, and a strong appeal by the Aberdeen players proved fruitless.

A Real Good One

There was no dubiety about the second goal. Boyd took an up-the-centre pass n his stride and raced past the backs to slam the ball into the net.
Following this goal the Aberdeen team became nervous and excited and had the Clyde forwards been less anxious in front of goal they might well have dounled their score.
The Dons did rally towards the close, but there was lack of verve about their movements, and one gained the impression that they were suffering from the effects of a strenuous season.
It must be admitted, however, that the best of luck did not attend the Dons' efforts.
In the first half McPhail cleared a Johnston header from under the bar with Stevenson out of his charge, and Benyon, who was given a clear run in on goal from a neat Moore header crashed the ball against the crossbar.

Stevenson's Prowess

Then in the second half Stevenson saved shots by Mills and Beattie which would have beaten the majority of goalkeepers, while Moore broke clean through and cleverly hooked the ball past the advancing Stevenson only to see it glide past an empty goal.
I have seen the Aberdeen defence present a much sounder front than they did on Saturday.
Smith brought off one or two good saves, but the backs were inclined to be shaky under pressure.
Cooper on the day's play was the better. McGill, who was opposed by McGurk, the best winger afield, had an uncomfortable time.
The honours of the day, so far as defence was concerned, must go to Falloon who played a prominent part in the stemming of the Clyde tide in the second half.

Lack of Penetration

Fraser and Godfrey did quite well in the first half, but lost their grip of the Clyde attack in the second when they were far from impressive.
The Aberdeen attack showed a lack of penetrative power. The inside forwards, Beattie and Mills, were too fond of the ball, and gave their wing men little support.
Johnston was in sprightly mood, and had he got more of the ball he would have been a dangerous raider. Benyon on the left met with little success, while Moore got few chances and spent most of his time foraging for the ball.

Only Mediocre.

Clyde are only a mediocre side, but they adopted the more effective methods.
Stevenson in goal gave a grand display , and Summers was the better of two fair backs.
McPhail was the best of the intermediate line, while Boyd and McGurk took the honours in attack.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th March 1933

Clyde Teamsheet:  Stevenson; Summers, Campbell; McPhail, Wood, Mayes; McGurk, Thomson, Boyd, Robertson, Howieson


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Godfrey, Johnston, Beattie, Moore, Mills, Beynon.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. Hudson, Glasgow

Related Links: