Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1934-35 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Airdrie 4 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Law 1, Connor 20, Ross 36, Connor 78       Smith.  
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie

Big Improvement Necessary for Cup-Ties

Aberdeen got a nasty set-back at Broomfield on Saturday. The Dons gave a disappointing display, and there will have to be an all-round tightening up if, as is hoped, they arc to take a prominent part in the Scottish Cup Tournament.

Two factors contributes in a large measure to Aberdeen's defeat at Airdrie - the fact that they had to play against a strong wind and sun in the first half, and that they lost a goal in the first minute of the game.
Airdrie are a go-ahead side, and fully merited their victory. They kept the ball swinging in fine style, and every forward was willing to have a shot whenever opportunity presented itself.

Too Fancy.

This was in direct contrast to the tactics of the Dons. The played smart football on occasion, but there was too much pattern-weaving inside the penalty area and not enough direct shots at the goal.
This bunching at close quarters played right into the hands o the Airdrie defenders, who in first-time charging and punting the ball up field.
With the elements in their favour and heartened by the early goal, the homesters went all out to build up a substantial lead. In this they succeeded, and retired at the interval with a 3-0 advantage.
The play of the Aberdeen team in the first half when they did get going suggested that a three-goal deficit might not prove too big a handicap. Airdrie, however, resumed determined to retain their advantage, and after Ritchie Smith had missed an easy chance in the opening minutes of the second half, the issue was never in doubt.
Airdrie have the distinction of being the only team who have taken four points off Aberdeen this season - they won 3-1 at Pittodrie.

Shaky Defence

Against the wind and sun the Aberdeen defence was shaky. Smith in goal seemed to be at fault when Airdrie scored their third counter. A Ross lob dropped over the 'keeper's head, struck the inside of the upright, and rebounded into the net, but Smith have been blinded by the sun.
Neither Cooper nor McGill seemed comfortable against their respective wingers. McGill was opposed to the more dangerous. Ross not only scored himself, but crossed the balls from which other two of his side's goals were netted.
The Aberdeen half-back line played below form. Fraser never succeeded in entirely checking Law, the Onians clever inside left, while Falloon was not so reliable as usual, Connor twice eluding him to score. On the day's play Thomson was the best of the trio, his only fault being that he was inclined to get too far upfield.

Forwards off Form

The play of the front line collectively has already been referred to, and not one of the line touched his best.
Johnston, on the right, too often passed the ball to his inside support instead of getting it across right away, while Conwell, although clever on the ball, did not part quickly enough.
Armstrong was a hard working leader, and he was unfortunate not to score with a header from a Ritchie Smith corner in the second half.
Mills was probably the best of the line. He did his best to open up play, but been seen to better advantage. Ritchie Smith had a poor day. He rarely got the better of Calder, and was prone to pass instead of shoot.
The Airdrie defence gave a splendid display. Wilson, in goal had one or two smart saves. And he was well covered by a pair of sound backs in Calder and Shaw.
The half-back line played quite well, but the honours go to Thomson, who was not only sound in defence, but clever in attack. McAllister deserves credit for the manner in which h eshaddowed Armstrong.

Law Outstanding

In a smart attack, Law was outstanding. His ball control and footwork were excellent. Next in the order of merit comes Ross, a fast and dangerous raider. Connor, at centre, led the line in fine style.
Airdrie's first goal came in the first minute as the result of a cross by Ross, which Law smashed into the net. With twenty minutes gone the homesters increased their lead. Law accepted a slip from Ross, transferred to Connor and the centre emerged from a tackle with. Cooper with the ball at his feet, and smashed it past Smith. Nine minutes form half-time came the third goal, already described.

Dramatic Goal

Twelve minutes from the end of the game Airdrie scored a dramatic fourth goal.
Following an Aberdeen attack McGill, Steve Smith, and Connor raced for a hefty clearance. They arrived simultaneously, but while the two Aberdeen players sprawld on the ground Connor gaine possession and walked the ball into the net.
Smith, who received a knock on the nose, was carried from the field unconscious, and during his five minutes absence Cooper donned the 'keeper's' jersey.
A few minutes from the end a Crossfield pass by Mills saw Johnston race down the right and cross the ball for Ritchie Smith to tap it into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th February 1935

Airdrie Teamsheet:  Wilson; Calder, Shaw; Crosbie, McAllister, Thomson; Ross, Hogg, Connor, Law, Mooney


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Thomson, Johnston, Conwell, Armstrong, Mills, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. Baillie, Motherwell

Related Links: