Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1935-36 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Arbroath
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Armstrong 2.       Brand 44, Walker 90  
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

And Hopes of League Flag are Wrecked


Arbroath dealt Aberdeen a smashing blow Pittodrie on Saturday. Not only did they break the Dons' unbeaten home record, which has stood since Rangers triumphed in April, but they wrecked any remaining hopes of League honours the club may have entertained.
A goal scored by Walker in the last minute of the game did the damage. On play the Red Lichties may be considered fortunate to win, but to a great extent Aberdeen had themselves to blame.

Mixed Blessing

The issue should have been made secure before the interval. The Dons got off to a flying start, Armstrong following up a Cooper lob to open the scoring after two minutes' play. This goal may well have been something of a mixed blessing. It seemed to make the home players over-confident.
For a long spell after this Aberdeen were definitely on top. The attack played clever football, but their movements had an unhappy knack of breaking down inside the penalty area.
Probably thankful to be only one goal down with the interval in sight, Arbroath commenced to fight back, and with about a minute of the half to go they got on level terms. Brand accepted a slip from Urquhart and smashed the ball into the net.

Last-Minute Decision

After the interval Arbroath began to take a more active part in attack but although their raids threatened danger Aberdeen still held the advantage. Towards the close the Dons crowded on all sail in an effort to register the winning goal. The Gayfield goal men ran several narrow escapes, but luck and a plucky defence combined to frustrate the home men.
In a last-minute breakaway Arbroath caught Aberdeen by surprise. Brand eluded McGill and raced away on the right to bring Westland to full length with a grounder. The 'keeper could only scrape the ball away. Cooper failed to clear, and Walker banged it into the net.

Much Below Form

The Aberdeen team as a whole played much below form, and several of the players seemed to be feeling the effects of the mid-week Cup replay against St Johnstone.
There will have to be considerable improvement both in attack and defence if the Dons are to survive the visit of Rangers on Saturday first in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup.
The Pittodrie rear trio was shaky at times. Both Cooper and McGill found it difficult to check the speedy Arbroath wingers, and the right back seemed be at fault when the winning goal was netted.
Gavin, who came in for Falloon, did not reveal his best form, and found Brand an elusive opponent. Fraser and Thomson worked hard in defence, and gave their forwards fairly good support. The Dons' skipper strove hard to force the winning goal in the closing stages.


Forwards Lack Thrust

The forwards were clever but lacked thrust. Armstrong played much below form. He was not so lively as usual, and he missed two good chances - one in the first half and one in the second. McKenzie carried the ball upfield in fine style, but tired towards the close, while Brown, who deputised for Mills, was clever on the ball but his distribution was weak.
Warnock was a dangerous right winger, and although he was opposed to a first-time defender in Becci, he gave a good display. He had one of the best shots of the match in the second half, but Cumming brought off an equally brilliant save.
Lang, on the extreme left, did not impress, and must instil more snap into his play.

Arbroath Lucky

Arbroath are a plucky, go-ahead side, but they must consider themselves fortunate to escape from Pittodrie with both points.
Cumming, the former Aberdeen player, and Brand, who joined Gayfield from Hall, Russell's, played a big part in their team's victory. The 'keeper had a number of good saves, while Brand scored one goal and played a prominent part in the other.
Fordyce and Becci were a pair of vigorous, if not polished backs, and they received much valuable assistance from Duff. Urquhart was a strong and forceful left-half.
The attack was fast and whole-hearted, with Brand and Walker outstanding.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd March 1936

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Westland, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Gavin, Thomson, Warnock, McKenzie, Armstrong, Brown, Lang.

Unused Subs:


Arbroath Teamsheet:  Cumming; Fordyce, Becci; Adams, Duff, Urquhart; Lowe, McNab, Brand, Cargill, Walker


Referee: J. Martin, Ladybank

Related Links: