Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Queens Park 1 - 1 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Dodds 28       Armstrong 6.  
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow

Draw Quite a Good Result


Saturday's match at Hampden was a test of stamina rather than of skill, and all things considered a draw was quite a good result. Aberdeen might have won the game in the second half when they pressed for long spells, but, on the other hand, the Amateurs had what appeared to be a good goal disallowed near the close.
Heavy showers of sleet made the ground treacherous and bad tackling and mis-kicking were not infrequent. Nevertheless it was a hard and interesting game, and the players deserve credit for the manner in which they stuck to their task.
The conditions were against Aberdeen's lightweight forwards. They played clever football, but they lacked the strength to push home their advantage, and considering the amount of pressure they put in, White had a surprisingly easy time.
Built on more solid lines, the Queen's Park forwards had the right idea. They kept the ball swinging and their attack was always dangerous.

Smart Opening Goal

When Aberdeen took the lead in six minutes they seemed well set for victory, but as the game advanced the Queen's defence gained confidence. It was a smartly-taken opening goal. During a home attack Thomson sent the ball well up the left, and before the defence could take up position Lang gathered and crossed for Armstrong to shoot into the net on the run.
The Amateurs replied in spirited style, and both Kyle and Dodds failed to accept scoring chances. In twenty-eight minutes the homesters got the equaliser. A shot by Buchanan bounced off Smith's chest and Dodds sent into the net.
Twice bad luck prevented Aberdeen taking the lead. Just before the interval Mills moved forward to send into the net from an Armstrong slip, when his feet went from beneath him. Then, shortly after half-time, smart work by Lang and Mills ended in McKenzie sending against the upright with the defence beaten.
Aberdeen pressed strongly during this period, but had nothing to show for it, and during the last ten minutes Queen's Park rallied strongly in an effort to secure the winning goal.
Crawford succeeded in landing the ball in the net, and the referee blew for a goal, but after consulting the linesmen he changed his decision. Crawford collected a pass from Dodds and rounded McGill before finding the net off the post.
The Aberdeen defence was inclined to waver when hard pressed. Smith in goal was not altogether blameless when Queen's scored. He had an easy time, although he had one fine save from Dodds in the second half.
Browning gave Cooper a lot of trouble in the first half, but after the interval Cooper improved. McGill was more successful against Crawford, who was rarely allowed to become really dangerous.
Both Fraser and Thomson played strongly throughout. They were reliable in defence, and gave their forwards excellent support. Falloon, as usual, concentrated successfully on defence.
Despite the conditions the forwards played some pretty football, but it was wasted because of their lack of finishing power. Lang and Warnock, on the extreme wings, did not impress. Had Lang displayed a little more enterprise he would have been very dangerous in the second half, when he had several chances.
Warnock was plucky, but was seldom dangerous. Armstrong led the line in good stye, and although Mills and McKenzie were smart on the ball they seldom got to close quarters.
Queen's Park gave a spirted display, and may well consider themselves unlucky not to get full points. Their defence played a splendid game.
White was a safe 'keeper, and Campbell the better of two sound backs. The half-back line compared favourably with that of Aberdeen, with Buchanan outstanding.
Kyle was most impressive in a wholehearted attack. He was a strong and forceful inside forward. Browning had a good first half, but faded out after the interval, while Dodds was a trier.


There was a doubt about Mills playing for Aberdeen against Queen's Park at Hampden. The inside-left was suffering from a bad cold, and it was only shortly before the start of the match that it was decided he would play.
Scott was travelling reserve, and had Mills been declared unfit Armstrong would have gone to inside-left and Scott would have led the attack.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th December 1936

Queens Park Teamsheet:  D. White; T. K. Campbell, H. Dickson; W. R. Buchanan, J. Thomson, A. Hosie; J. Crawford, W. Martin, J. M. Dodds. J R. Kyle, W. Browning


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Thomson, Warnock, McKenzie, Armstrong, Mills, Lang.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. McCulloch, Glasgow

Related Links: