Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 5 - 4 St. Mirren
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Armstrong 1, Scott 25, Cunningham (OG) 34, Strauss 75, Strauss 88.       Black 7, Ferguson 8, Callan 51, Cunningham 76 (pen)  
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

Dons & Saints Provide Football Treat


There was a dramatic finish to one of the most thrilling matches seen at Pittodrie this season, when Aberdeen were somewhat fortunate to collect full points at the expense of St Mirren. Only two minutes remained for play when Strauss scored the winning goal.

St Mirren put up a magnificent fight, and had they shared the spoils the Dons would have had little to complain about. The oftener St Mirren fell behind the harder they fought back.
The Paisley team wasted no time in pattern-weaving. They made the ball do the work, and their fast open movements always meant danger for the Dons.
From the time Aberdeen took the lead in the first minute until the final whistle it was a case of attack and counter-attack, and the crowd were kept at a high pitch of excitement. It was a pulsating struggle, carried through at a terrific pace to the end.
The loss of a goal in the first minute would have upset most teams. In the case of St Mirren it succeeded only in rousing their fighting spirit, and within eight minutes they were leading 2-1.

The First Goal

Armstrong headed the first goal when Warnock centred following a long throw-in by Fraser. Six minutes later a weak clearance by McGill saw Ferguson dash away on the right and cross for Black to head a spectacular equaliser.
One minute later Black headed a free kick by Kelly against the cross-bar, and Ferguson ran in to send the rebound into the net.
Seventeen minutes elapsed before the Dons got the equaliser through Scott, who beat McCloy to a high Armstrong lob and nodded the ball into the net.
Nine minutes later Aberdeen regained the lead. McCloy fisted out a Strauss header, but Warnock headed goalwards again. The ball struck the upright, and Cunningham, in trying to kick clear, sent through his own goal.

Second Half

The Dons retained their lead until six minutes after the start of the second half. McGill blocked a hard drive by Hanlin, and Callan was in position to shoot into the net.
Strong pressure by Aberdeen was rewarded after thirty minutes, when Scott allowed a McKenzie pass to go to Strauss for the winger to score. The Aberdeen players had scarcely finished congratulating one another when St Mirren were again on level terms. In a desperate attack Knox sent in a terrific drive, and, with Smith beaten, McGill fisted clear. Cunningham sent in an unsavable shot from the resultant penalty kick.
A draw seemed inevitable when, following an attack on the right, the ball came out to the left to Strauss, who dashed through to beat McCloy very coolly and smartly.

Defence Disappoints

Aberdeen's defence was disappointing, and will have to be strengthened if they mean to gain League honours. McGill had a poor game and did not get a grip of Ferguson, St Mirren's most dangerous forward. Cooper was more successful against Hanlin, but was slow at times and did not reveal his best form.
Falloon at centre-half put in a tremendous amount of work, and was ably assisted by Fraser, who combined defence and attack skilfully. Thomson played hard, but did not appear to have entirely shaken off the effects of the 'flu.
The quick tackling of the St Mirren backs and half-backs did not allow the Aberdeen forwards to indulge in any pattern-weaving, but they were a strong and forceful quintette.
Although occasionally slow Scott was a plucky leader, and once he gained experience should develop into a dangerous centre-forward. McKenzie was less prominent than against Kilmarnock on the previous Saturday.
There was no harder worker afield than Armstrong, but his abilities seem to be wasted at inside left. Warnock was a dangerous right winger, and although he did not score himself he played a part in three of the five goals.
Strauss was a lively left winger, but it was not until the closing stages that he became really dangerous. He took his two goals in splendid style.
St Mirren are a powerful team, and on Saturday's form will yield few points. They have weaknesses in defence, but have a fast and skilful attack, never slow to shoot.
McCloy had several good saves, and could not be blamed for the loss of any of the goals. Baird and Craven wavered under pressure, and the honours in defence went to Cunningham, a hard-working pivot. Miller and Kelly were a forceful pair of wing halves.
Ferguson and Knox on the right wing were outstanding in a fast-moving and dangerous attack. The extreme winger was a clever ball manipulator, and led many of the Saints' raids. In Knox he had a strong inside supporter.
It was well that Falloon gave Black little scope for he was a dashing leader.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st December 1936

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Fraser, Falloon, Thomson, Warnock, McKenzie, Scott, Armstrong, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


St. Mirren Teamsheet:  McCloy; Baird, Craven; Kelly, Cunningham, Miller; Ferguson, Knox, Black, Callan, Hanlin.


Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank

Related Links: