Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Dundee
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Mills 12 (Pen), Armstrong 52, Mills 18 (Pen).       Latimer 59  
Attendance: 28,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen


On play Dundee hardly deserved to be beaten by a two goals margin at Pittodrie yesterday. The Dark Blues fought strongly throughout, and had as much of the play as the Dons.

Even when they were handicapped by the loss of Reddish, who was injured in collision with Warnock twenty minutes from the end, they still threatened danger in their breakaways.
Dundee, however, have themselves to blame in no small measure for their defeat. Two penalties were conceded and converted in the first eighteen minutes of the game, and this gave Aberdeen a fine start.
It was a typical "Derby" game. The exchanges were of a hard, keen and fast nature, but there were few thrills and little good football.
Strangely enough both teams played better against the wind than with it - Dundee in the first half, and Aberdeen after the interval.

Mills Scores From Spot

Dundee had slightly the better of the opening exchanges, but in twelve minutes Aberdeen were awarded a penalty.
Strauss gathered a McKenzie slip and cut in to send in a hard drive. Evans handled the ball, probably to protect his stomach, and Mills sent the spot kick into the net.

" Same Again" ? Mills

Six minutes later Warnock was well set to score from a Strauss cross when he was brought down by Reddish. Again Mills was successful with the penalty kick, and Aberdeen had a two goals lead which they scarcely deserved on the run of play.
Seven minutes after the start of the second half Aberdeen were three up. When Evans missed his kick during an Aberdeen attack Armstrong was left with an opportunity which he promptly accepted.

Latimer's Brilliant Solo

With fourteen minutes gone Latimer completed the scoring with the best goal of the match. Gathering the ball on the right he twice beat McGill before finding the net with a splendid shot from a difficult angle.
Although the Dons won, the play of the team as a whole did not reach the standard expected of a side in the running for honours.
Smith kept a good goal, and Cooper held Kirby fairly well. McGill never got a grip of the tricky Latimer, Falloon was the Dons' "No. 1" defender. The Irishman kept a watchful eye on Coats, and on several occasions he went to the aid of the backs when they were hard pressed.
The play of the wing halves, Thomson and Dunlop, was disappointing. Both worked hard, but were never entirely effective.

McKenzie in Form

McKenzie was the smartest home attacker, and a great run and shot by the inside right in the first half was one of the "highlights" of the match.
Warnock was a plucky and dangerous right-winger, while Armstrong was an energetic leader. Strauss and Mills on the left wing were unusually subdued.

Latimer Shines

Dundee's defence was inclined to waver under pressure. Lynch in goal had a number of smart saves, while Rennie gave a sterling display at right back.
Evans was a hard-working centre-half, and the honours in attack went to Latimer, a clever ball manipulator and a dangerous raider.
Reddish received an injury to his ribs twenty minutes after the start of the second half, and went to outside left, Kirby taking up the left back position. Fifteen minutes from the end Reddish retired to the pavilion.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd January 1937

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Smith, Cooper, McGill, Dunlop, Falloon, Thomson, Warnock, McKenzie, Armstrong, Mills, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Lynch; Rennie, Reddish; Cowie, Evans, Smith; Latimer, Philips, Coats, Baxter, Kirby


Referee: H. Watson, Glasgow

Related Links: