Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Scottish Cup Semi Final 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Morton
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Armstrong 12, Strauss 28.        
Attendance: 31,970
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



Football history was made on Saturday when Aberdeen qualified to meet Celtic in the final of the Scottish Cup.

The Dons succeeded at the seventh time to enter the last stage. Will they continue breaking records, and make the season an outstanding one by capturing the coveted trophy?
Superior in defence and attack, Aberdeen worthily won their way to the final at the expense of Morton at Easter Road, Edinburgh, on Saturday by two goals to nil.
The final will be played on April 24, probably at Hampden Park, Glasgow.
Morton made Aberdeen fight hard, but the Dons were never in difficulties, and there can be no shadow of doubt but that the better team triumphed.
Team work and skilful football succeeded where dash and unbounded enthusiasm failed. The greater value of the subtle pass and clever positional play, as compared with speed and dash, was clearly demonstrated.
A wonderful opening goal by Armstrong in twelve minutes laid the foundation of Aberdeen's victory. It was the highlight of the match. Accepting a short pass from Lang, Armstrong from a seemingly hopeless position swerved his way past four opponents to hook the ball into the corner of the net, well out of Stewart's reach.
Previous to this goal there had been a suggestion of nerves about the Dons' play, but with its arrival they developed into clever and cohesive force. In twenty-eight minutes came the second goal.


McKenzie did the leading up work, and was left in possession close in. While he was preparing to shoot Strauss nipped in to gather the ball, and unhurriedly shoot into the net.
It was shortly after this that the South African received a severe leg injury, and from that time onwards he was nothing more than a passenger on the right wing. This handicap upset the balance of the attack, and in the second half Morton had the major share of the play.
The Second League team lacked guile in attack. Their play was stereotyped, and although Aberdeen had some anxious moments they never lost their grip. In fact, but for the injury to Strauss the Dons would possibly have finished even more convincing winners.
Once Falloon and Cooper got a grip of Black and McGarry, the key-men of the Greenock attack, the line lost most of its effectiveness. It is to their credit that Morton refused to acknowledge defeat until the final whistle, but they were beaten by a better-class team.


Morton looked more dangerous than they actually were. Once they had got over their initial stage fright the Aberdeen defence played strongly and covered up cleverly. There was no weak link. Johnstone in goal inspired confidence by his handling. He had few direct shots to save, but showed intelligent anticipation in dealing with loose balls. Cooper was not too comfortable against McGarry, Morton's dangerous left winger, in the opening stages, but gradually got the measure of his opponent and confined his activities to the touch-line. Temple at left back positioned himself cleverly and kicked strongly, with the result that Collins rarely threatened danger.
Falloon was the Dons' strongest and coolest defender. He "policed" the middle of the field effectively and from first to last never allowed the dashing Black out of his grip. Dunlop was the better of two strong wing halves, combining defence and attack with judgment. Thomson was seen at his best as a spoiler.


Armstrong was in sprightly mood as leader of the Aberdeen attack. Quick and elusive, he gave the Morton defence an anxious time. It was his best display for many weeks.
There was a clever understanding between the centre and Mills and McKenzie, and this trio combined to serve up an excellent brand of football. Mills was a scheming inside forward, while McKenzie's value as a forager could scarcely be over-estimated.
Until his injury Strauss was ever dangerous, while Lang on the left did a tremendous amount of work.
Morton were a wholehearted side, and if they gain promotion they should hold their own in the First Division. In Maley they had the outstanding back afield, and Stewart was a sound 'keeper.
The half-backs were too busy trying cope with the Aberdeen attack to lend their own forwards much assistance, but Mooney on the left was a strong, resourceful player.
Smith and McGarry on the left combined cleverly, and had a dangerous appearance, but they were too closely watched to do any damage.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th April 1937



It was wildly enthusiastic crowd of stay-at-home supporters who gave the Aberdeen players a rousing reception when they stepped off the train at the Joint Station on Saturday evening.

Despite the fact that heavy rain was falling, a crowd of about 1500, in high spirits over the Dons' success, crowded into the station.
They were doomed to a dreary wait, however. The train on which the players travelled was held up at Dundee, with the result that it was about forty-three minutes late in reaching Aberdeen. As soon as the train drew alongside the platform, cheers went up, but when the players were seen making their way along the platform to the barrier a tremendous outburst greeted the triumphant players.
A strong cordon of police had been drafted to the station to prevent the enthusiastic crowd mobbing the players. A lane was made through the crowd to the station entrance. Down this the players went, each being wildly cheered.
"Where's Strauss?" the crowd yelled. As the South African, crippling badly, made his appearance, he was given a specially warm reception. With a bodyguard of police, the South African hobbled his way to a waiting car, and, before being driven away, another round of cheering went up for him. His goal-scoring opportunism has certainly caught the public imagination.
"Hurry and get better," was the crowd's parting shout to Strauss. "We'll need you in the final to help to beat Celtic."


The leg injury received by Strauss in the Aberdeen-Morton Cup-tie at Easter Road is of a serious nature, and may keep him out of the game for a week or two. It was at first thought that it was the left knee that was injured, but it was later learned that it was the ankle that was damaged, although the whole leg was jarred.
Mr P. Travers, the Aberdeen manager, stated yesterday that the South African had received a bad knock, but it was expected that he would be fit for the final on April 24.
Aberdeen will probably fulfil their League fixture with Clyde at Shawfield on Wednesday.

Source: Press & Journal, 5th April 1937

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Temple, Dunlop, Falloon, Thomson, Strauss, McKenzie, Armstrong, Mills, Lang.

Unused Subs:


Morton Teamsheet:  Stewart; Maley, Simpson; Baird, Robb, Mooney; Collins, Benzie, Black, Smith, McGarry


Referee: M. C. Hutton, Glasgow

Related Links: