Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1936-37 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Clyde 0 - 0 Aberdeen
Kick Off:           
Attendance: 7,000
Venue: Shawfield Stadium, Glasgow


PLAY SELDOM ABOVE MEDIOCRE: NEITHER TEAM DESERVES MORE THAN DRAW,/p> Neither the Clyde nor the Aberdeen forwards would have won any prizes for their shooting at Shawfield last night.

One looked for thrills in a meeting between Cup finalists and semi-finalists, but they were not forthcoming, and game which had an end-of-season flavour all through finished tamely in a goalless draw.
If the Dons did not enhance their reputation, they brightened their prospects of finishing runners-up to Rangers. With a match in hand, Celtic are now four points behind Aberdeen, who have two matches to play.
Seldom did the standard of play in the Aberdeen-Clyde game rise above mediocrity, and neither team deserved more than a draw.
Aberdeen, with the breeze behind them, held a decided territorial advantage in the first half, but seldom threatened any real danger. The forwards and wing halves indulged in too much pattern-weaving. Had they displayed more thrust, they would have been ahead at the interval.
In the second half play was more evenly distributed, ranging from end to end. Both teams had their chances, but failed to accept them, although Robertson almost proved a match-winner for Clyde in the last minute.
Johnstone had a comparatively easy time in the Aberdeen goal, but both Cooper and Temple were busy in the second half. The right back had Gillies well subdued, but Temple, after a good first half, had an unhappy time against Robertson after the interval.


Falloon was the outstanding player in the Dons' defence. Besides "policing" Wilson effectively, he several times went to the assistance of Temple.
Fraser was the better wing half, urging on his forwards in fine style without neglecting defence. He seemed to tire towards the finish, however. Thomson has seldom been seen to less advantage.
Armstrong started brightly, but gradually deteriorated, while McKenzie lay too far back, and was inclined to put too much work on the ball. George Scott was clever, but found his lack of speed a handicap, while Lang, on the left, was not at his best against a robust back in Ballantyne. Ritchie Smith was a hard worker, and was probably the most dangerous of the quintette.


Brown was a sound 'keeper for Clyde, and Ballantyne and Hughes a pair of doughty backs.
The Glasgow team had a strong defender in Robb, and Beaton on the right did a lot of useful work. Robertson was their most dangerous forward. He had a good turn of speed and terrific shot. Noble, on the left, was clever and progressive.


Aberdeen had the better of the opening exchanges, but Brown, in the home goal, had little to do but clear a bouncing ball from Ritchie Smith with Armstrong in attendance and clear a corner by the right winger. Gillies was held up the home left, and later Wilson was left with an unexpected chance, but shot wide. A touchline drive by Fraser in the next Aberdeen attack was pushed over by Brown.
In ten minutes we saw one of Aberdeen's most intricate forward movements, and it was unfortunate that it did not result in a goal. Play was suddenly transferred from left to right, and when Ritchie Smith was left in possession with the path to goal barred, he did not shoot recklessly, but beat his man and lobbed the ball against the crossbar.
Twice George Scott shot narrowly past after smart combined work by Ritchie Smith, and then a clever run by Noble on the home right ended in Johnstone saving from Wilson.
The Dons forced several corners, but these were not improved upon, and the interval arrived without either citadel falling.
The first thrill of the second half came when Robertson broke clear on the left to send narrowly past. A matter of inches prevented the Aberdeen goal falling a few minutes later, and again it was Robertson who almost did the trick when he rushed in and just failed to beat Johnstone to the ball.
The Clyde goal had an even luckier escape when McKenzie finished a run from midfield by crashing the ball against the crossbar. The visitors were more lively now, and Ritchie Smith headed inches high, after Lang had beaten Ballantyne and Brown failed to intercept his cross.
Robertson, on the home right, had a dangerous appearance, and he caused a thrill when he broke through to shoot, for Johnstone to save on the post. The winger regained possession, but sent against the outside net when it might have proved more advantageous to centre.
Brooks had a chance to open the scoring from a well-placed free kick by Stewart, but sent wildly past.
Towards the end the Dons made a strenuous effort to secure the deciding goal, and Brown was in action to Lang and Ritchie Smith. Another attack by Clyde almost brought the winner, Robertson cleverly beating Temple to send in a terrific shot, which Johnstone did well to touch over the bar.

Source: Press & Journal, 8th April 1937

Clyde Teamsheet:  Brown; Ballantyne, Hughes; Beaton, Robb, Stewart: Robertson, Brooks, Wilson, Noble, Gillie


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Temple, Fraser, Falloon, Thomson, Smith, Scott, Armstrong, McKenzie, Lang.

Unused Subs:


Referee: R. G. Benzie, Irvine

Related Links: