Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1937-38 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 3 Dundee
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Armstrong 1, Lang 56.       Kirby 4, Baxter 23, Baxter 63  
Attendance: 26,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

Dundee proved at Pittodrie on Saturday that their challenge for honours this season is no half-hearted affair. It was their first big test and they came through with colours flying.
Their team-work was superior to that of Aberdeen and altogether they were a more confident and buoyant side.
They won because they seized their chances. It was a sad blow to Aberdeen, but they have nobody to blame but themselves. Chances are being wasted week after week because the forwards insist in trying to walk the ball into the net.


So long as the forwards continue this style of play they will lose as many points as they win. The only solution seems to lie in the introduction of players of the bustling and forceful type.
Had the forwards been able to press home their advantage during the first half hour of the second half it is probable that the Dons' home record would still be intact.
Dundee did not indulge in any pattern weaving. They made the ball do the work, and the thrustful play of their inside forwards always carried a threat of danger.
The game opened in sensational fashion. Aberdeen, playing against a strong wind, took, the lead in the first minute. Strauss darted in to beat Marsh to a free kick by Thomson, and turned the ball into the middle for Armstrong to send into the net.
This early reverse would have upset the majority of teams, but not so Dundee, and in four minutes they were on level terms. Kirby made ground on the left and parted to Coats, who eluded Dunlop and ran on to score,
A lightning raid by Dundee saw them take the lead in twenty-three minutes. Coats gathered a clearance by Marsh and made ground on the right. Tackled by Temple, he sent the ball back to Baxter, who fastened on to score smartly.


Aberdeen held the balance of play in the second half, and Marsh brought off splendid clearances from McKenzie and Devine before the Dons drew level in eleven minutes. A shot by Armstrong was deflected to the left by a defender, and before Cowie could clear, Lang nipped in to beat Marsh.
The winning goal came in eighteen minutes. Accepting pass from Lawrie, Regan made ground before sending the ball in to Baxter. The inside right gathered it quickly, and cutting into the middle, avoided a challenge by Cooper and scored with a fast drive.
The covering up of the Aberdeen defence did not inspire confidence, and the halfbacks never got a grip of the opposing attack. In Johnstone the Dons had a smart keeper, but it seemed that he might have left his charge to intercept Coats' pass when Dundee scored their second goal.
Cooper showed an improvement on recent form. He was surer in the tackle and his kicking was more accurate. Temple was never comfortable against Regan and was over-impetuous when he went to meet the winger.
Dunlop had a difficult task in trying to subdue the effervescent Coats, and although he played hard he was not a success. Fraser was the best of a mediocre half-line. Thomson was never at ease and had a poor game.
The forwards disappointed. Strauss, who was making his first appearance in Scottish League football since he was injured the Cup-tie against Morton last season, was not the dashing and dangerous winger of the past.
We caught a glimpse of the old Strauss in the first minute, when he was on top of Marsh like a whirlwind and flicked the ball over for Armstrong to score. The South African, however, may take some time to regain his confidence following his appendicitis operation during the Dons' South African tour.
McKenzie, who has been outstanding in recent matches, was more subdued against Dundee owing to the close attentions of Smith, and Armstrong, a willing leader, did not receive the best of support and was seldom dangerous.
Devine, who was slow and orthodox in his methods, had a poor first half, but improved after the interval. Lang was smart in the outfield, but did not put enough enthusiasm into his finishing.
Dundee were strong in all departments. Marsh kept a good goal and received excellent protection from Cowie and Rennie. The left back was particularly effective.
Evans was a first-rate defensive pivot and Smith and Laurie were smart wing halves.
Honours in attack go to Baxter, a clever and forceful inside forward. Coats was a fast and enterprising leader, and McMenemy took the eye occasionally with his skilful ball control and neat distribution. Regan was the more dangerous winger.

Source: Press & Journal, 13th September 1937

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Temple, Fraser, Dunlop, Thomson, Strauss, McKenzie, Armstrong, Devine, Lang.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Marsh; Cowie, Rennie; Lawrie, Evans, Smith; Regan, Baxter, Coats, McMenemy, Kirby


Referee: R. G. Benzie, Irvine

Related Links: