Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1937-38 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Kilmarnock
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Armstrong, Warnock 14.       Thomson (pen) 33  
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



Aberdeen were an improved side on Saturday, and in defeating Kilmarnock, the Scottish Cup finalists, by two goals to one at Pittodrie, showed more thrust in attack than has been the case recently.
Warnock and Ritchie Smith added punch to the extreme wing position, and with the half-backs keeping a tight grip on Killie's forwards Aberdeen had the bulk of the pressure.


Kilmarnock's danger men were McAvoy and McGrogan on the left, but the line as a whole never seriously troubled the home defence. Nicholson, in particular, was almost impossible to pass, and he kept Collins, who was Kilmarnock's star in the semi-final tie with Rangers, very much subdued.
Cooper, who has been playing well recently, was the best back on the field, with Fyfe of Killie running him close.
Both Fraser and Thomson played soundly, and both had clever constructive ideas in attack, and it was this support which paved the way for the forwards' aggressiveness.


Armstrong gave a good lead to an attack which showed more "devil' on Saturday than for some time. McKenzie worked hard, and in the first half, in particular, he engineered most the attacks. Thomson, Ritchie Smith and he had a sound understanding.
The Dons' small left-winger sent over some lovely shots, and it was from one of them that Armstrong headed the winning goal.
George Scott and Warnock made effective partnership and the winger's goal was one of the features of the game.
Johnstone in goal was rarely troubled. Newton was the weakest link in defence, and up against Killie's danger men he had not altogether a successful afternoon.
The Dons took command of the game from the start. They were much more lively in attack than Kilmarnock, and in fourteen minutes were a goal up. It was a splendid effort. McKenzie received an inside pass from Ritchie Smith, and drew the defence perfectly to swing well-timed ball to Warnock lying unmarked.


The winger steadied the ball and shot high into the roof of the net. Aberdeen continued to press, but could not penetrate the visiting defence, and in thirty-three minutes had lost their lead. A penalty kick taken by Thomson, the Kilmarnock right winger, for an infringement by Nicholson, was converted.
Killie were now much more in the picture, and it was against the run of play when the Dons took the lead. Ritchie Smith got away on the left and when challenged by Fyfe he lobbed the ball into the goalmouth. Armstrong rose and flicked it past Hunter.
In the second half, Aberdeen again dictated matters, and erratic finishing cost them a possible goal or two.

Source: Press & Journal, 11th April 1938

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Newton, Fraser, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Scott, Armstrong, McKenzie, Smith.

Unused Subs:


Kilmarnock Teamsheet:  Hunter; Fyfe, Leslie; Robertson, Stewart, Ross; Thomson, Reid, Collins, McAvoy, McGrogan


Referee: W. Webb, Glasgow

Related Links: