Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 6 - 1 Third Lanark
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Strauss 20, Warnock 21, McKenzie 44, Armstrong 62, Warnock 81, McKenzie 85.       Jones 72  
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen

Thirds Bewildered by Speed and Snap: McKenzie Breaks Loose

Will Aberdeen challenge for honours after all? This is a pertinent question after their bright and able display against Third Lanark at Pittodrie on Saturday. It was a different Aberdeen team to that which fell by the odd goal in the opening match of the season at Firhill.

Gone was the discordant note. It was an Aberdeen team in tune, moving sweetly and with rhythm. They won by six goals to one and the margin of victory did not flatter them.
Aberdeen played and looked like a winning team. There was more confidence in defence and more intelligent co-operation and thrust in attack. In contrast Third Lanark were a harassed and unbalanced combination.
Just how great was the disparity between the teams may be judged from the fact that during the opening half Johnstone in the home goal was not called upon to deal with real testing shot.


The Dons led by three goals at the interval and had the score been doubled it would not have exaggerated their superiority. The chances were there for the taking. In the second period the visitors were seen more often as an attacking force, but were far from impressive and presented the Aberdeen defence with little trouble.
Aberdeen went ahead as the result of typical Strauss goal in twenty minutes. Armstrong gathered the ball on the left, slipped it back to Strauss, and the South African sent it flashing into the net from twenty yards range. A second goal came almost immediately. Warnock was the scorer, but it was Hamilton who made the opening with a neat inside pass.
A concerted movement by the Aberdeen attack saw Hamilton impeded as he was going through for a shot. The referee awarded a penalty, but McAffrey brought off a brilliant save from Armstrong's spot kick. The Dons' third goal came just on the interval. Cooper robbed Kinnaird and lobbed the ball into the goalmouth for McKenzie to beat the 'keeper with a header.


Seventeen minutes after the restart Aberdeen were four up. When MAffrey could only push out a fierce drive from Hamilton, both Carabine and Armstrong went for the ball and the home centre succeeded in forcing the back and the ball over the goal-line.
Ten minutes later Thirds opened their account. Jones ran through from a pass from Mason, and although Johnstone left his charge to narrow the angle the inside-left managed to guide the ball past the 'keeper into the net. Two more goals came to Aberdeen in the last nine minutes.
Warnock got the fifth with a header from a corner by Strauss and McKenzie got the sixth, when he took advantage of a slip from Hamilton.
The Aberdeen defence had an easy time, particularly Johnstone in goal. The 'keeper's principal job was to clear loose balls. Cooper was the best back afield.
There was a big improvement in the play of the half backs. Dunlop and Thomson gave their forwards good support, and this undoubtedly had much to with the success the attack. Nicholson started shakily, but settled down to a steady game and twice - once in each half - saved certain counters when Johnstone was beaten.
The forwards were just as good as they were bad the previous week. Hamilton seems to have found his form. He was the only forward who did not score, but he "made" two of the goals, and showed himself an intelligent, scheming inside man.
Armstrong was an energetic leader. Always on the alert, he caused the Thirds' defence a lot of worry. Warnock gave a bright display on the right. He was a daring raider and got across many dangerous balls.


McKenzie paid his way. He was a hardworking inside forward and believe it or not. scored two goals. He has never been noted for his goal-scoring ability, but he proved in this match that he can take his chances. Strauss was opposed to a good back in Carabine, but the South African showed cleverness in that he did not hold the ball, but got rid of it when the back came forward to tackle.
One can only commiserate with Third Lanark. They were outclassed. McAffrey and Carabine were the only two worthy mention in defence, and of a forward line that never knitted together only Mason took the eye.

Source: Press & Journal, 22nd August 1938

Admission: 1/- (including tax); Stands Extra; Boys 6d.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Adey, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Hamilton, Armstrong, McKenzie, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Third Lanark Teamsheet:  McAffrey; Carabine, Johnstone; McLean, Barr, Black: Simpson, Mason, Wilson, Jones, Kinnaird


Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank

Related Links: