Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 3 - 0 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  7:00 PM   Armstrong 48, Hamilton 61, Armstrong 87.        
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



Against Partick Thistle at Pittodrie last night Aberdeen had not such an easy task as was the case against Third Lanark on Saturday, but a fine display of team-work gave the Dons a comfortable victory by three goals to nil.
Aberdeen were superior for most of the game, but there was much more life in the Glasgow side in the first half. They seldom raised a gallop after the interval, and but for stout defence would have been beaten more decisively.


Two successive home victories will give the Dons confidence for their big test against Celtic at Parkhead on Saturday, and if they keep last night's form they must have a chance.
McKenzie was first on the mark for Aberdeen, but his shot went over, and then a smashing left foot drive by Strauss from the inside right position gave the Partick 'keeper fright. After this there was glimpse of McKennan's trickery, but his finishing effort was weak.
A succession of corners gave Aberdeen an advantage, and from one of these Nicholson forced Johnstone to go to full length. Another flag kick followed, and Stewart cleared on the line.
After a quiet spell in midfield, near the interval Aberdeen launched an all-in attack. which resulted in Johnstone bringing off magnificent saves under the bar from Hamilton and McKenzie.
Aberdeen restarted with a rush, and in three minutes were a goal up. A long punt by Cooper was collected by McKenzie, who slipped through to Hamilton. In turn, Hamilton passed to Armstrong, and the 'keeper had no chance with the centre's close-range effort.
After Warnock had missed an open goal when Strauss crossed he redeemed himself in sixteen minutes when he crossed for Hamilton to leave Johnstone helpless with a great header.


Williamson and Picken had changed places on the Thistle left wing, and the former gave Johnstone, the home 'keeper, his only real save in the second half. He shot hard from ten yards, and the 'keeper pushed the ball behind for a corner.
From then on it was all Aberdeen, and Dunlop tested Johnstone with a fierce left foot drive. Armstrong had adopted a roving commission in order to rid himself of the attentions of Sutherland, and three minutes from the end his tactics proved successful.
He collected a loose ball and veered out to the right to deceive Johnstone completely with a shot from twenty yards.
As indicated, the Aberdeen defence was not seriously tested, and Adey played his best game since coming to Pittodrie. He kept McSpadyen out on the touchline, and the flying winger was strangely subdued.
Dunlop and Nicholson were strong halfbacks, but Thomson was not much in evidence until well on in the second half. The forwards were all hard workers, with the two inside men getting away many fine balls to their wing men.
For Partick Thistle, Johnstone was a brilliant 'keeper, and taken all over the defence was sound. Sutherland kept tight grip on Armstrong, and Curran and Stewart both kicked well. Elliot was the better of the wing halves.
McKennan was the star in the first half, but after the interval the attack was kept in subjection, with Wallace lone raider.

Source: Press & Journal, 24th August 1938

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, Adey, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Hamilton, Armstrong, McKenzie, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  Johnstone; Curran, Stewart; Elliot, Sutherland, Busbv; McSpadyen, McKennan, Wallace, Williamson, Picken


Referee: A. Henderson, Kirkcaldy

Related Links: