Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 4 - 3 Heart of Midlothian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Pattillo 9, Hamilton 31, Hamilton 40, Pattillo 63.       Black 15,Garrett 44, Garrett 60  
Attendance: 19,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



A GOAL ten minutes from the finish gave Aberdeen victory over Hearts at Pittodrie by the odd goal in seven.

In everything but goals the Dons were well ahead of the Edinburgh team. Territorially they held a decided advantage, and the Hearts goal had a number of escapes.
You may ask why they won only by a single goal. The answer to that is that the defence was below form. The second and third goals scored by the visitors might have been averted. They were the result of slackness in defence.


There is room for improvement in this department. On their best form the defence can be very sound, and, providing they strike form on Saturday first, a win over Queen of the South in the Cup is assured.
The play of the attack against Hearts was first-rate. The forwards moved with a swing and precision that always threatened to produce results. They inter-changed positions cleverly, and there was power and purpose in all they did.
Although it can truthfully be said that the score was somewhat flattering to Hearts, the Tynecastle team must be given credit for their spirited play. After all, they had two hours of gruelling Cup-tie football against Celtic in mid-week.
The most stylish and effective forward afield was Hamilton, the Aberdeen inside-right. Not only was he clever on the ball, but he could carry it through and make and take chances. He was superior to Walker, the Hearts and Scottish inside-right, and must be considered for a cap.


Next in order of merit comes Pattillo, the Aberdeen leader. A trifle lacking in polish, perhaps, but a tenacious and dangerous centre. He was full of energy and his restlessness kept the opposing defence on tenterhooks. In Dykes he faced one of Scotland's outstanding pivots, yet he had one of his best games and scored a couple of goals.
Biggs, too, played a useful game. Strong on the ball, he had the invaluable knack of turning defence into attack. Strauss did not find the net, but he was one of the most dangerous forwards afield. His play confirmed that he has recovered his confidence and dash.
Warnock was the weakest link in the home van. Much of the "fire" seems to have disappeared from the right winger's play. He was rarely dangerous on Saturday.


Much of the success of the forwards could be traced to the sound play of the wing halfbacks, Dunlop and Thomson. This pair not only provided a good service to the forwards, but kept a good grip of the Hearts inside men.
Nicholson was the best of the Aberdeen defenders, but he found Garrett a tricky opponent. The Hearts leader scored twice. Neither Cowie nor Adey revealed their usual confidence and Johnstone was not blameless when the second and third goals were netted.
Hearts' defence was inclined to waver under pressure. Waugh in goal was sound and McClure in the right-back berth played strongly. Miller, an international halfback, did not do badly in his unaccustomed role. His chief fault was that he wanted to "kill" the ball before clearing, but that was understandable.
Brown was a clever left-half and Robson on the other flank worked hard. Dykes had his hands full with Pattillo, but more than once he saved his side.
The Tynecastle forwards were not impressive. Garrett was the best of the line. He was quick off his mark and showed cleverness in distributing the ball. Briscoe on the right-wing showed speed and good ball control, but Warren on the other wing was too often out of position. Black was the better of two inside forwards who got few opportunities to work their wiles.
Aberdeen opened the scoring in nine minutes. Pattillo, Biggs and Strauss engineered the movement. Waugh pushed out a shot by the inside-left and Pattillo was in position to turn the chance to account.


Six minutes later Hearts regained equality. Briscoe finished a grand run on the right with a shot that Johnstone could only push against the crossbar and Black headed the ball into the net.
After thirty-one minutes' play the Dons went ahead again, Hamilton darting forward to head a well-placed free kick Adey past Waugh. The inside-right added another shortly afterwards from a pass from Pattillo. Just on the interval Garrett counted for the visitors. The ball came over from Warren and the centre's shot entered the net near the post.
The second half goals came in the closing stages of the game. When Garrett smartly found the net with a left foot drive to level the scores it looked as if hearts were to share the points, but with ten minutes to go Biggs carried the ball through and parted for Pattillo to score the winning goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 27th February 1939

Spring was in the air on Saturday. The brilliant sunshine put players and spectators and players alike in a good humour, and the result was a sporting encounter which kept the interest alive to the last minute. Typical of the spirit in which the game was played was the smiling way in which Tommy Walker shook hands with Hamilton at the end. Waugh's pat on the back for Strauss, and the round of hand-clapping which greeted Pattillo as he left the field. Play was fast and full of smart touches.
Aberdeen deserved their victory, and every one of their goals was due them on play. Hearts gained their goals in easier fashion, defensive lapses being responsible. Johnstone had a bad day in the Aberdeen goal. He had not much to do, and might have done better with the shots that beat him. Neither Cowie nor Adey seemed as steady as usual.
All the half-backs did their bit, but the forwards were the match-winners. Delightful in the outfield, they finished off their work crisply by shooting whenever possible. Strauss sparkled and was his old dare-devil self, running like a deer and packing a powerful shot. Pattillo, although still lacking in polish, was effective with his bustling methods, and gave Dykes a worrying afternoon. He was always on the spot to snap up a chance. Hamilton was clever, stylish, and thrustful, while Biggs gave Strauss a grand service, occasionally varying his play with a cross-field pass, and often carried the ball downfield to initiate moves. Warnock was the least conspicuous of the line, although not in any was a failure.

The Scoring

Pattillo netted in nine minutes, when Waugh could only knock out a Biggs shot. Fifteen minutes gone, and Hearts equalised. Johnstone punched the ball on to the crossbar, and Black headed home the rebound. Half-an-hour after the start Adey took a free kick, and Hamilton met the ball with his head to net. Five minutes from the interval Hamilton tricked Miller and shot well out of Waugh's reach. With the last kick of the half Hearts reduced the leeway, Garrett notching an unexpected counter. Fifteen minutes of the second half had gone when the visitors drew level against the run of play, Garrett shooing past Johnstone, who seemed to be unsighted. Three minutes after, Aberdeen deservedly took the lead. Biggs ran half-way up the filed before slipping to Pattillo who scored with a fast shot.

Source: Aberdeen Bon-Accord and Northern Pictorial, 2nd March 1939

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, Adey, Dunlop, Nicholson, Thomson, Warnock, Hamilton, Pattillo, Biggs, Strauss.

Unused Subs:


Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet:  Waugh; McClure, Miller; Robson, Dykes, Brown; Briscoe, Walker, Garrett, Black, Warren


Referee: J. Thomson, Hamilton

Related Links: