Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1938-39 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Queens Park
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Pattillo 56, Thomson 84.       Kyle 13  
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen



IT'S encouraging know that more than once this season Aberdeen have played badly on the eve of a Cup-tie and then produced their best form the knock-out competition. They certainly did not play like a team capable of winning the Scottish Cup against Queen's Park at Pittodrie on Saturday.
There was no question of the Dons holding themselves in reserve. They were as keen to collect the points as the Amateurs, although a win was of much more importance to the visitors.
Queen's Park played as one would expect a team in danger of relegation to play - with desperation. Their defenders went sailing into the tackle and their first-time methods upset the balance of the Aberdeen front line.


It certainly does not say a great deal for the home attack that the winning goal was entirely the result of a defensive movement six minutes from the end. The Aberdeen forwards will have to play a lot better if they are to beat Motherwell at Ibrox Park this week.
Queen's Park led by a single goal at the interval, but had they taken their chances during this period they would have been well ahead. The Dons were definitely on top in the second half, but they could not break down a do-or-die Queen's Park defence.
There was an element of luck about the Amateurs' goal, which came after thirteen minutes' play. A hard drive by Kyle struck Nicholson and flew high in the air. The ball dropped in the goalmouth and Johnstone seemed to have it covered, but the 'keeper slipped and it rolled over the line.


Aberdeen's equalising goal eleven minutes after the start of the second half came as the result of a well-conceived attack. Thomson laid the foundation by carrying the ball upfield and parting to Smith. The winger crossed accurately and Pattillo headed the ball into the net.
The winner was scored by Thomson with six minutes left for play. Adey wandered up the left with the ball and centred for Thomson to find the net with a deceptive high shot.
The home defence was generally sound. Johnstone was a safe keeper, and Cowie a polished back. Hunter gave Adey a good deal of trouble. Nicholson was. master of the situation in the middle.
Thomson revealed something like his best form. Strong in defence and quick and intelligent in attack, he was the best wing half-back on view. Scott worked hard, but was on the slow side and never got a tight grip of Christie.


Hamilton was best in a poor attack. He was injured ten minutes from the finish and had to leave the field. Biggs had a poor game and although Pattillo was a game leader he did not show much craft.
Smith, on the extreme right, was overanxious, although he did get over several splendid crosses. Brady on the other wing was a dashing raider, but did not reveal much craft.
Honours in the Queen's Park team to the defence, which battled gamely throughout. Mansour had a number of brilliant saves, but the outstanding personality was Johnstone, the centre-half.
The forwards were over-impetuous, and did not combine well. The most skilled footballer was Christie, but he was not direct enough. Hunter on the right was fast and looked dangerous, but he finished recklessly.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th March 1939

Left-half George Thomson won this game for Aberdeen. He "made" their first goal, and scored their second. The Dons were the better team and deserved their win on pressure, although their football never reached a high standard. The forwards were an unimpressive lot, and only George Hamilton touched true form. Substitutes Smith and Brady did not hit it off. The latter had not the craft necessary to temper his impetuosity, while Smith did not do himself justice, timidity and nervousness hiding his undoubted skill and speed. Biggs again disappointed, and Pattillo, though seldom really dangerous, took his goal well. Nicholson and Cowie were outstanding in defence. The play was drab, enlivened only by the goals, two of which were of an unusual nature.

The Play

Aberdeen looked strange in their red jerseys, white pants, and red and white stockings. First excitement came when a Biggs' shot hit the bar. A neat move by Hamilton let Smith away, but he failed to beat the back. Pattillo did well to screw in a shot which Mansour held, but later missed a "sitter" in the goalmouth, when he banged a Smith cross high over. Then Queen's took the lead, and a strange goal it was, in keeping with the game so far. Kyle shot, the ball cannoned of Nicholson high into the air, and dropped past Johnstone, who slipped in making his jump. Mansour brought off a great save from Thomson, and immediately after Wright was clean through after beating two men, but inexplicably lashed the ball past the post. Before the interval Mansour pushed past a Thomson free kick.

The Dons had the ball in the net shortly after the re-start, but Brady the scorer, was given offside. And, minutes later, they repeated the performance, but this time a foul nullified the point. Then, eleven minutes after the interval, Aberdeen equalised. Thomson "made" the goal. He made ground and slipped the ball to smith at the opportune minute. The winger crossed promptly, and Pattillo headed hard into the net. The a "let-off" for Aberdeen! Kyle shot hard, the ball squirmed from Johnstone's hands, and Sleigh, with an open goal in front of him, did the "impossible" - sent wide. Aberdeen were pressing hard now, and a Biggs effort skimmed the post. Then, after Adey had provided some comic relief by adopting the role of winger, Thomson sent in a speculative drive from 25 yards which whizzed into the net like a bullet. Hamilton suffered an ankle injury near the close, and went off.

Source: Aberdeen Bon-Accord and Northern Pictorial, 23rd March 1939

N.B. Although Aberdeen had occasionally used red shirts as an alternative to their famous Black & Gold over the years, this was the first use of red and white where it was not deemed a requirement to change. The reason was that for the upcoming Cup tie against Motherwell the following week, the authorities had decided that there was a colour clash and that Aberdeen would have to change. The match against Queen's was used to get the players accustomed to the new colour scheme.
It was during the summer of 1939 that the Club decided to register red jersies and white shorts at the SFA for the following season.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, Adey, Scott, Nicholson, Thomson, Smith, Hamilton, Pattillo, Biggs, Brady.

Unused Subs:


Queens Park Teamsheet:  Mansour; Thomson, Dickson; Hosie, Johnstone, McDonald; Hunter, Kyle, Sleigh, Christie, Wright


Referee: M. C. Hutton, Glasgow

Related Links: