Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1946-47 fixture list
League Cup Group D 
Aberdeen 4 - 3 Falkirk
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hamilton 12, Hamilton 20, Hamilton 34, Hamilton 39.       Wardlaw 36, Fitzsimmons 80, Fitzsimmons 85  
Attendance: 25,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Hamilton's Goals Pull Them Through Against Falkirk

ABERDEEN defence are in the dock this morning. They are charged with negligence and conduct prejudicial to the Dons retaining the Scottish League Cup. And the verdict is guilty.

The forwards, thanks mainly to the opportunism of George Hamilton, who had all four goals, played their part. They built up 4-1 lead against Falkirk at Pittodrie in the first half.
After the interval the defence almost frittered the lead away. Fitzsimmons missed a penalty award for Falkirk and then scored two goals. The Dons won through 4-3.
They scraped through in a game they should have won emphatically. Not form that is likely to inspire confidence in their bid to keep the Cup in the North.
There's no need for pessimism - yet. Briefly, the defence had a bad day. The fast-raiding Falkirk forwards had them guessing. The most obvious weakness was on the right flank. Neither Cowie nor Dunlop played to form in the second period and their lack of confidence affected the other defenders to some degree.
Johnstone could not be blamed for the loss of the goals, and McKenna did his part. Wardlaw eluded the vigilant Waddell once and then beat McKenna to score.
McCall, playing at left-half, did his best to open up play, but he was inclined to overkick his forwards.

Hamilton Inspires

There was nothing to rhapsodise over the play of the Aberdeen attack. Without George Hamilton it would have been a very moderate affair indeed. The inside right was the dynamo that kept the line running. His four goals were masterpieces of opportunism. Full marks for George Hamilton.
Harris, at centre, struggled courageously against R. Henderson, who was never more than a yard or two from his side.
This can be said for the attack as a whole - they were handicapped by an injury to Williams. The inside left damaged his leg twenty-five minutes after the start and was practically a non-combatant on the extreme wing from then onwards.
Kiddie, on the right, lacked his usual dash and elusiveness, and Miller was over-anxious.
Falkirk must be given credit for the fact that they refused to accept defeat, even when three goals down. McPhee was a strong and cool left back, and Rice a sound tackling wing-half. R. Henderson carried out his job - he prevented Harris scoring.
Fitzsimmons, on the left wing was ever dangerous, as his two goals testify, and Wardlaw was an alert and troublesome leader. This pair and Brooks put the "bite" into the Falkirk front rank.

Stewart Handles,/p> Let me tell you about the goals. The first came in twelve minutes. McCall swung the ball up the middle. Harris headed on, and Hamilton nodded it into the net. When Stewart handled in the penalty area the inside-right added the second goal, and his third he headed home brilliantly from a corner-kick from Kiddie.
Hamilton's fourth goal was more or less a repetition of his first, but just prior to this counter Wardlaw broke through to beat McKenna and net for Falkirk.
When the Brockville leader tried to break through on his own in the second half he was brought down by Waddell and Cowie. Fitzsimmons missed the resultant penalty. In the last nine minutes the left-winger seized two scoring chances for the visitors.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd September 1946

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, McKenna, Dunlop, Waddell, McCall, Kiddie, Hamilton, Harris, Williams, Millar.

Unused Subs:


Falkirk Teamsheet:  Dawson; Stewart, McPhee; Rice, R. Henderson, Telfer; J. Henderson, Brooks, Wardlaw, Alison, Fitzpatrick


Referee: W. Davidson, Glasgow

Related Links: