Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1946-47 fixture list
Scottish Cup Second Round 
Aberdeen 8 - 0 Ayr United
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hamilton 44, Harris 46, Williams 50, Botha 64, Hamilton 55, Harris 62, Harris 73, Hamilton 89.        
Attendance: 15,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Ayr's Defence Was Swamped By Second-half Goal-rush

There was power, pep, punch and purpose in the Dons' attack. The whole team played with confidence and skill against Ayr United. In the second half the Honert Men's defence simply subsided in face of Aberdeen's all-out drive.

The latest forward formation certainly justified a second chance. The line allied punch with clever outfield play. If they can retain this form the Dons may go far in the Scottish Cup.
But let me sound a warning note. It's an easy matter to over-estimate the value of the victory against Ayr. The opposition was weak. The Honest Men couldn't stand comparrison with Aberdeen in any department of the game.
If the visitors are accepted as a fair sample of "B" Division football, then there's a greater disparity between the most people think.
Ayr were plucky. In the first half they made a fight of it with the wind behind them, but even during this period the writing was on the wall. In brief, Ayr neither had the ability nor solidity in defence to cope with the Dons' effervescent attack, nor had they the intelligence, cohesion and pace in their own front line to test the Aberdeen defence.
The fact that Ayr were only a goal down at the interval was due as much to luck as to the courageous play of Barbour, McNeil, Smith and Nesbit.

Tasted Blood

Hamilton started the Pittodrie goal-rush a minute from the interval. When a Harris drive struck the upright the inside right was ready and waiting to send into the net.
The Dons had tasted blood, and when they came out in the second half they ironed out the Ayr defence. The Honest Men were given no chance to get their second wind. The lightning thrusts of the home attack brough five goals in nineteen minutes.
A minute after the restart Cooper, up in support of his forwards, lobbed the ball into the goalmouth. It was partially cleared, and Harris raced in to crash the ball past Barbour.
Williams got the next in five minutes. Barbour could only push a high-power drive by McLaughlin from thirty-five yards' range against the crossbar. The ball dropped to the ground, but before the 'keeper could recover Williams had hooked past him into the net.
A slip by the United defence saw the Dons' centre glide the ball to Hamilton, and he made no mistake from the edge of the penalty area. Harris got the fifth from a pass from McCall.
South African Ray Botha decided to take a hand in the goal-getting in the nineteenth minute. Hamilton made the chance and Botha coolly picked his spot in the net - his first goal in big football.
Harris completed a happy hat-trick when he netted after Williams had back-heeled a pass from the right winger, and Hamilton also made his bag three in the last minute by heading home a cross from Botha.

Weakness Exploited

Even the most critical spectator could find little to complain about in the display of the Pittodrie team. If the opposition was poor the Dons were quick to expose and exploit their weaknesses.
The defence was never in difficulties, and if I mention McLaughlin, it's simply because he was the most forcing half-back on the field.
The front line had a field day, and Saturday's success may just be the thing to give the line that extra spot of confidence. They have their chance to prove that the Ayr win was no mere flash in the pan against Queen of the South at Dumfries this week.
McCall was the only forward who failed to hit the target. He was opposed to a good back in McNeil. McCall would probably be happier in the inside berth.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th February 1947


In the words of the Irish, last week was the week before, because seven days ago the weather clerk put paid to all thoughts of football as far as we were concerned, and our last game was the cup-tie with Ayr United.
After the game, visiting officials were inclined to blame the state of the ground for their defeat. We prefer to accept Press comments; all of which gave due praise to our boys' superiority.
The pitch played wonderfully well con-sidering the conditions, and the second half provided our forwards with useful shooting practice. Let's hope to-day that practice makes perfect!
Andy Cunningham and Willie Gall (leading sports writers) were welcome visitors at the second round tie. So, too, was Lord Provost Sir Thomas Mitchell. The Provost is getting to be quite a football fan!

Source: Match Programme, 22nd february 1927


BIGGEST attraction among Saturday's Scottish Cup games was at Pittodrie, where the crowd totalled 15,500 and gate receipts 1337.
Crowds and gates in Scottish Cup games were:
Aberdeen v. Ayr 15,500 1337
Third Lanark v. Hamilton 15,000
Stenhousemuir v. Arbroath 2,875
East Stirling v. Clachnacuddln. 2,500 150
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cooper, McKenna, McLaughlin, Dunlop, Taylor, Botha, Hamilton, Williams, Harris, McCall.

Unused Subs:


Ayr United Teamsheet:  Barbour; McNeil, Kelly; Stewart, Smith, Nesbit; McGuigan, Ouchterlonie, Tyson, Wallace, Beattie


Referee: R. Calder, Rutherglen

Related Links: