Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1947-48 fixture list
League Cup Group A 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 Motherwell
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Millar 16, Kiddie 47.        
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Weakened Side Won Because of Its Fighting Spirit
,/p> MOTHERWELL materially assisted in their own League Cup defeat at Pittodrie. So intent were they in playing football that when they got within shooting range they forgot forgot all about goal-scoring.

The Dons were more often on the target, and both Millar and Kiddie scored opportunist goals. Aberdeen deserved to win.
I heard it said after the game that Motherwell were a poor team - a remark that doesn't do justice to a wholehearted display by the Pittodrie players.
Certainly the Dons didn't shape like world-beaters, but they were a team of triers. And don't forget that the same Motherwell team registered handsome victories over Queen of the South and Queen's Park and scored nine goals in the process.
There was a good deal of headshaking when the Aberdeen attack was announced before the kick-off. Only Harris and McCall of the regular attack were fit for duty and they weren't in their usual berths.
The line didn't move with the rhythm, smoothness and subtlety of the usual quintette, but it carried a real threat, especially on the extreme wings.
The goals apart, Millar and Kiddie both showed speed and dash, and it was this pair that kept carrying the fight into Lanarkshire territory.
They played well, and their form in this game must have given Mr Halliday and his directors food for thought.

Harris Left Alone

The inside men, Hume and McCall, lay well back in defence. Perhaps this was according to plan, but it often left the team shorthanded when they were on the aggressive.
It also resulted in Harris being left for long periods without support.
If the Dons' defence didn't at all times inspire confidence, they certainly could claim the honours of the game against the Fir Park attack.
Johnstone was clean and confident in his work and Cowie was the master of Barclay, except for a brief spell in the second half. The right back is playing well.
McKenna was erratic in his clearances. Taylor, I thought, was the best half back afield - strong in the tackle and always ready to urge on his own forwards.
Waddell settled down to a safe and steady game after rather a shaky start. Sooner or later he must find a regular place in the League side.

Well-Taken Goals

McLeod and Paton were prominent defenders for Motherwell, and of the forwards, Watson and Watters on the right were best. The inside man was the only Lanarkshire attacker who wasn't assailed by shooting shyness.
Millar's opening goal in sixteen minutes whipped Aberdeen from a somewhat diffident side into a fighting force.
When McCall sent the ball up the wing, Paton beat Millar to it. Twice the centre half failed to get the ball away, and finally Millar gained possession and his shot entered the net near the post.
Kiddie's counter two minutes after the start of the second half was a picture goal.
When Harris and Millar broke through on the left and the winger lofted the ball into the middle, the right winger was there to meet it first-time and hook it high into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th August 1947

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, McKenna, McLaughlin, Waddell, Taylor, Kiddie, Hume, Harris, McCall, Millar.

Unused Subs:


Motherwell Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Kilmarnock, Shaw, mcleod, Paton, Redpath, Watters, Watson, Humphries, Bremner, Millar


Referee: J. Jackson, Glasgow

Related Links: