Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1947-48 fixture list
League Cup Group A 
Aberdeen 2 - 0 St. Mirren
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Hamilton 23, Hamilton 34.        
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Hamilton's Two Goals Give Dons Deserved Victory

SABOTEURS were busy at Pittodrie on Saturday. Practically every football move was sabotaged by the defences while it was still in the blue-print stage.

It was a day when brawn more often than not triumphed over brain. Quick and relentless tackling by the backs and halt backs made the play speculative rather than spectacular.
The Dons won 2-0 and so avenged last Tuesday's debacle at Paisley, because they had an opportunist in George Hamilton leading the attack.
Aberdeen's efforts to get their attacking machine into gear were smashed by Telfer and his co-defenders. The tackling was keen; in fact, it was inclined be over keen in the first half, and repeatedly play was brought to a halt by the shrill blast of the referee's whistle.
More Fighting Spirit,/p> The game was far from being one-sided. There was plenty of fight if little finesse about the forwards.
The Dons deserved to win. They were by no means the ideal side - they still have problems - but, believe me, they revealed more fighting spirit in this game than thev did at Paisley.
St Mirren missed the needle-sharp Jack. The little centre forward who snapped a well-taken hat-trick in the previous game, is on the injured list.
The Dons' defence rotated round Dunlop. His cool tackling and general steadiness added that touch of confidence in the rear.
The half-back line was sound. Both Waddell and Taylor played their part in holding the Paisley attack and yet contrived to form a link with their forwards.
Baird and McCall, the inside forwards, like to work the ball, but they got few chances to work their wiles on Saturday. No sooner were they in possession than they were pounced on.

Wingers Patchy

Harris was more useful on the wing than he has been at centre forward, but both he and Millar were something of a mixture. They were prominent at times with fast runs and dangerous crosses, but they "disappeared" for long spells.
St Mirren's defence is liable to upset other forward lines than Aberdeen's. Rennie had some good saves to his credit, and could accuse the backs and half-backs of shirking the tackle.
Milne, on the left wing, showed clever touches, although not nearly so dangerous as last Tuesday. His partner, Lesz, who Joined Mirren from Forres Mechanics, was neat on the ball and his passing was accurate, but once Waddell got a grip the Pole was little in evidence.
Aberdeen got their first goal in twenty-three minutes. Millar gathered the ball following a free kick by Taylor and crossed it low into the middle. Hamilton darted forward to dive and head into the net.
Eleven minutes later came the second. Telfer lunged forward but failed to clear a neat cross from Harris, and Hamilton, unmarked, seized his chance to drive the ball into the corner of the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 1st September 1947

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Cowie, McKenna, McLaughlin, Dunlop, Taylor, Harris, Baird, Hamilton, McCall, Millar.

Unused Subs:


St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Rennie, Drinkwater, Smith, Hunter, Telfer, Martin, Burrell, Guthrie, Lesz, Milne


Referee: W. Brown

Related Links: