Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1948-49 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 2 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Baird (Pen).       Cuthbertson 18, Cuthbertson 60  
Attendance: 35,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons Could Have Done with Cuthbertson

)n Reflection

The game last week against Hibernian was a curious mixture - at times the football was good, at other times the football on both sides was rank bad! The general opinion seemed to be that the Dons were unlucky to surrender both points to the champions. There can be no denying that Aberdeen had far more of the game, but it's goals that count. How exasperating it was to see the Dons play Hibs to a standstill in the first half, and then to see Johnstone beaten in what appeared to be such a simple manner! The second half had a similar tale to tell, but we would hasten to give Hibs, and Linwood in particular, full marks for the manner in which the opportunity was seized when Willie Waddell slipped. Cuthbertson was ready in position to flick the ball into the net when Linwood rounded Waddell and crossed the ball back to the inside-left. The big fellow was once again a thorn in the flesh of the Aberdeen team. He did nothing during the game, and, yet he did everything, for he was up to score the all-important goals. The other inside-forward of Hibs was the real menace to Aberdeen - he did nothing spec¬tacular during the whole 90 minutes - yet he was here, there and everywhere, tackling, fetching, carrying, passing. Combe probably did more than any other player to defeat, the Dons. We were to a certain extent unlucky, but our lads have really only themselves to blame. They had Hibs reeling time and time again, but they failed in that essential - getting the ball into the net!

Source: Match Programme, 11th September 1948

Forward with Eye to Main Chance Badly Needed

When they were struggling last season as they are now, Aberdeen F.C. made overtures to Hibs for the transfer of John Cuthbertson, the Edinburgh team's reserve inside left.
The player himself declined to move, and his decision, in the light of subsequent events, has been a boon to Hibs. He netted twice to give the visitors an odd-goal-in-three victory at Pittodrie on Saturday.

Cuthbertson provided the main difference between the Dons and the champions. In him Hibs had what Aberdeen sadly lacked - a forward with an eye to the main chance.
He snapped a goal in each half to leave Aberdeen most unhappily situated near the bottom of the table.
It can't be very comforting to start off the League Cup series this week-end with the knowledge that within six weeks you will again be battling to keep the relegation wolf from the door. But for this state of affairs the Pittodrie players have nobody but themselves to blame.
Hibs fell far below championship standard, and the fact that they were able to take away both points is an indictment against the Aberdeen team in general and the forwards particularly.
Chance after chance was cast aside.
For most of the first half the Dons played better football than they have done since the season started, and they had a hesitant Easter Road defence jittery. Kerr made some magnificent saves, but that does not explain the home team's failure to score.

Worst Miss,/p> The worst miss of the lot came shortly after Hibs had gone ahead. A typical Pearson dash tore open the Edinburgh defence, and when the ball came into the middle the Aberdeen inside forwards were unmarked. Baird should have got it, but one left it to the other until Hamilton finally made a hurried shot which went over.
This game proved that the Pittodrie "make-do-and-mend" policy of juggling with six players for the five forward positions will not do. Baird has had an extended trial, and has still to hit it off. Hamilton was better in the first half than he has been, but both he and Pearson disappeared in the second-half decline.
Aberdeen's defence compared favourably with the visitors, but they were at fault when Cuthbertson scored his goals. Only Johnstone seemed to sense the danger when the inside left ran to meet Howie's cross in the first half, and there was nobody covering up when Linwood beat Waddell and crossed from the right to give Cuthbertson his second score.
The answer to the right-back problem is still missing. Preston was game enough, but when Reilly got room to work the ball the Springbok's tackling was faulty. McKenna did better against Smith than he has done in the past, while Waddell was not so dominant as usual against the restless Linwood.

McLaughlin's Failing,/p> McLaughlin was more in his element at left half, but would be of much mere value to his side if he got rid of the ball more accurately.
Stenhouse found Cuthbertson quite a handful, but he did not miss any chances of forcing play. The right half was manoeuvring for a shot near the end when he was fouled in the penalty area. Baird netted from the spot.
Hibs are not the side they were last season, especially in defence. In attack, too, the Edinburgh team was lop-sided, but this was probably due to the fact that Combe appeared to have instructions to act as an additional halfback. If this was an Easter Road plan to keep Pearson out of the game it was successful, especially in the second half.

Source: Press & Journal, 6th September 1948

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Johnstone, Preston, McKenna, Stenhouse, Waddell, McLaughlin, Williams, Hamilton, Kelly, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Kerr, Howie, Shaw, Finnegan, Aird, Buchanan, Smith, Combe, Linwood, Cuthbertson, Reilly


Referee: M. A. Mann, Perth

Related Links: