Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1948-49 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 3 Dundee
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Rice 57.       Pattillo 15, Stott 28, Watson 85 (o.g.)  
Attendance: 26,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
There is no use denying we were very disappointed over the result last Saturday. We had hoped to collect two very valuable points and all through the second half we had visions of a burst of goal-scoring against Dundee - but Fallon's freak goal put finish to all our hopes.
If the Dons were disappointed at losing the Derby, they were nevertheless very pleased to read of Dundee's success against Rangers on the Monday. We haste to congratulate them on assuming the leadership of Division A and hope that they will finish the season in that position.
Young Watson appeared to be very disappointed over the third goal, as though he might have been blamed for it. We have a feeling that it was one of those freak shots - one in a thousand that would beat most goalkeepers.
The Dons had two players making their debut in Division A?Jack Hather on the left-wing and Chris Anderson at right-half. Both did well and, like the others, fought till the end to overcome the handicap of those first-half defensive slips.

Source: Match Programme, 8th January 1949

Hather and Anderson Show Promise Against Dundee
Spirited rally TT

It is probable that Aberdeen will make another team change for the match at Motherwell this afternoon. Mr Halliday, the Dons manager, announced yesterday that twelve players will make the journey.

Pat McKenna had another test yesterday, but again failed to come through 100 per cent. fit. The team which fell to Dundee travelled south last night, and Willie Roy, reserve defender, completed the party.
The eagerly-anticipated victory over Dundee did not materialise, but the Dark Blues would be the first to admit that the score of 3-1 in their favour was distinctly flattering.
Even in defeat the Dons played with such spirit as to inspire the hope that they will yet fight clear of the danger zone. As it happened, they are no worse off, for Morton, Clyde and Third Lanark were all on the losing side.
It is a long time since an Aberdeen side produced such an all-out offensive in an effort to retrieve their failing fortunes. They came out for the second half facing a two-goal deficit, and in response to terrific vocal support from the 26,000 crowd tried all they knew to equalise.
Their very eagerness proved their undoing at times. The inside forwards were inclined to bunch together, but at the same time full credit must be given to a Dundee defence which never panicked.
If there was disappointment over the defeat in the Pittodrie camp, it was minimised to some extent by the promising form of the newcomers to the side. Chris Anderson, a Mugiemoss product, was a grand attacking half, and may have come to stay.

Speedy Winger

Hather, the new outside left from Annfield Plain, made many friends. He has speed and a strong shot, and is not afraid to challenge the man in possession. Against a less resourceful back than Follon he would have been even more dangerous.
While every Aberdeen player did his part in that second half revival, the memory persists of slackness in defence, which led to Dundee's opening goals. Waddell was usually steady in the middle, and Watson seemed confident enough in goal, although it was a lapse by him which gave Dundee their freakish gcal near the end.
All Dundee's stalwarts were in defence, with Follon outstanding. Gallagher, Cowie and Boyd were a solid half-back line, and Hill created most of the trouble for the Aberdeen defence with his cross-field meanderings.
Neither Pattillo nor Ewen looked particularly dangerous at inside forward, but it was the former who nipped between the home backs in the fifteenth minute to shoot past Watson after Stott's try had stuck in the mud.
In the twenty-eighth minute Hill's cross from the left was missed by Waddell. Stott had time to get the ball under control before hooking it past Watson.

Rice's Goal

Right from the restart Dundee were thrown on defence by Aberdeen's savage onslaught. Pattillo and Ewen were forced back to help and there were many near things. Ultimately Rice got his first goal for Aberdeen with a shot which went in off Irvine's foot.
Kelly had the chance of the match to equalise, but missed his kick at the first attempt. He recovered quickly to shoot against the post, but that miss proved fatal, for the Dons couldn't snatch another despite all their pressure.
Five minutes from time Follon galloped up the right, easily eluded a tackle by Emery, and from within a yard of the bye-line swept the ball over. Watson apparently meant to turn it round the post, but the ball hit his hand and was deflected into the far side-netting.

Source: Press & Journal, 3rd January 1949>

N.B. The match at Fir Park was postponed till April due to weather.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Watson, McLaughlin, Emery, Anderson, Waddell, McVean, Rice, Stenhouse, Kelly, Hamilton, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Lynch, Fallom, Irvine, Gallagher, Cowie, Boyd, Gunn, Pattillo, Stott, Ewen, Hill


Referee: J. A. Mowat, Glasgow

Related Links: