Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 1 - 1 Clyde
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Stenhouse 53.       Davies 14  
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Brilliant Hewkins Thwarts Dons
A fortnight ago against St. Mirren Dons supporters would have been fairly well pleased with a draw. Last Saturday against Clyde the Dons got a point, but somehow it gave little satisfaction to their supporters. Possibly this was because St. Mirren, a hard-hitting team, for long periods of the game looked at least as good as the home team, whereas Clyde, although at times they showed flashes of good play, all over the piece performed as though they wouldn't be surprised if they lost. The Dons had the chances to win and at times their efforts were quite entertaining, speedy moves that sent the ball right into the visitors' goal mouth and on several occasions hairbreadth escapes for Clyde. There is no use blinding ourselves to the fact however that the Dons machine is not yet running as sweetly as we would like, but it is difficult to detect any definite fault.
The game must have been rather an ordeal for Ashe and Chalmers, but both did quite well in their first outing with the first team. For Stenhouse and Millar it was not a first appearance, but a reappearance in the senior eleven, and they showed that they can be counted upon to play a useful game whenever called upon.
When Harris shot in the closing minutes it looked as though the home team might succeed as St. Mirren had done practically on the final whistle on the previous week, but his shot was hardly hard enough and the injured Hewkins threw himself desperately across the goal to turn the ball past for a corner and save a precious point for his side.

Source: Match Programme 24th September 1949

Pittodrie Forwards Still Lack Devil

BEFORE Mr Pat Travers left Aberdeen to take over the managership of Clyde F.C. he had set the fashion for other clubs in the matter of importing South Africans.
At Pittodrie on Saturday the Shawfield manager's latest Springbok recruit?Ken Hewkins, the goalkeeper was the inspiration of a Clyde team which was able to hold the Dons to a 1-1 draw.

When the teams took the field Hewkins gave the impression that he was not 100 per cent fit, but his subsequent performance belied his appearance.
He had some thrilling saves, and in the dying moments of the game he turned aside an express delivery from Harris which looked like giving the home team both points.
While full credit goes to the goalkeeper. Aberdeen were themselves partly to blame for the fact that they are still looking for their first league victory. The team as a whole played better than against St Mirren, but there is still that lack of devil among the forwards.
Critical eyes were turned on Ashe and Chalmers, the two youngsters introduced at right back and left half back in the home side. Neither could be classed as a failure, although Ashe was inclined to slice his clearances.
Over the piece he could cry quits with McKenna, who has been off form these last three games.

Lad with Future

Chalmers, the young amateur left half back, is obviously a lad with a future, but he should be allowed to mature. He knows what to with the ball, but requires sharpening up.
At close quarters the visiting forwards were no more effective than the Aberdeen lot. Linwood is still an intelligent leader, but his mates failed to appreciate his quick flicks or sudden dash to the open space.
Aberdeen's attack promised well in the outfield, and in the second half they had two particularly good man-to-man attacks, which finished with Stenhouse and then Harris shooting wide of the goal.

Millar in Form

Willie Millar justified his return to the side. He was full of running at outside right, often mastered Deans, and combined well with Stenhouse. There was always hint of danger from this pair.
The same could not be said of the left flank. Pearson indulged in some ball jugglery, but suffered from lack of support from Harris, who apparently didn't take kindly to the move from left half. He started with some good passes, but gradually faded out.
There's not a more genuine trier than Kelly, but he lacks that touch of inspiration.
Bootland and Linwood opened up the Aberdeen defence to produce the first goat in thirteen minutes. The centre cut the ball back from the bye-line and Davies had nobody near him as he headed the ball away from Curran.
The equaliser came eight minutes after the interval. Stenhouse was the scorer. He took a clever through pass from Kelly in his stride, and his shot beat Hewkins.

Source: Press & Journal, 19th September 1949

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Curran, Ashe, McKenna, Anderson, Roy, Chalmers, Millar, Stenhouse, Kelly, Harris, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Clyde Teamsheet:  hewkins, Gibson, Deans, Campbell, Milligan, Long, Davies, Galletley, Linwood, Baird, Bootland


Referee: H. P. Anderson, Edinburgh

Related Links: