Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 4 - 0 Celtic
Kick Off:  2:15 PM   Baird 7, Pearson 12, Hather 55, Emery 90 (Pen).        
Attendance: 25,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
No Fears of Relegation on This Form

ABERDEEN have given their supporters so many disappointments this season that it is probably skating on thin ice to say that the 4-0 victory over Celtic means an end to relegation worries for the season.
At the same time the Dons' performance made one wonder why they had tumbled so near the danger zone.

This was a new, zestful Pittodrie team. There was a complete transformation from their displays over the holiday period, and it was brought about chiefly by the fact that the home men were going for the ball from the opening minutes.
Celtic never really recovered from the hammer blow of two goals in the first twelve minutes, and were but a shadow of the great sides which have worn the green and white jersey.
At times their defence was almost over-run, and the wing half-backs were so busy trying cope with Aberdeen's onslaughts that they could not spare the time to mount an attack.
Bobby Evans, the international right half, is a human dynamo, and it was not his fault that Celts were badly beaten. He did all that one man could do to help a lost cause.
Even so, he was not far ahead of Anderson and Harris, the Dons' wing half-backs. This pair got a grip from the start, and it was a refreshing change to see them up in close support of the forwards for most of the game instead of being tied up in defence.
Watson, who is improving with every game, was the man who gave the Dons their cue. He was not afraid to leave his charge and go for the ball, and both he and Bonnar, the Celtic 'keeper, effected many fine saves.

Weir Subdued

Back in the first team after being absent since August, McKenzie played his part by keeping Weir quiet. There is nothing polished about the former Jameston Athletic lad, and his value to the team would be enhanced if his clearances were more decisive.
Along with Emery and McKenna, however, he presented a bold front to the Celtic attack, and all over it was a good day for the Dons defence.
Apart from occasional threats by Collins and Taylor, the Celtic vanguard did not cause much trouble. Tully was particularly disappointing.
Aberdeen's forwards, on the other hand, had some good flashes of cohesive football.
Despite being at a disadvantage in height, Hamilton often beat McGrory in the air to bring the other forwards into the scheme of things. The second goal was a case in point.
Baird was more consistent than Yorston, while Pearson unaccountably fell away after having complete first half mastery over Boden, who kicked and tackled well in the second half.
It is too early yet to say whether Hather is the answer to the Pittodrie right-wing problem, but he was an improvement on others who have held the position.

Speed Menacing

Despite a tendency to use his left foot he gave Mallan plenty of trouble, and his speed over the first ten yards made him a constant source of danger.
Three goals in five games was the Pittodrie forwards' record when they took the field against Celts, and in twelve minutes they had almost equalled that total.
When Mallan jabbed weakly at a cross from Pearson the ball ran clear to Baird, who shot instantly from the eighteen-yard line and gave Bonnar no chance.
Nor was the 'keeper more fortunate five minutes later when Hamilton rose to an Emery clearance and headed the ball down to Pearson, who shot deliberately to the far corner the net.
Celtic's best scoring chance came when Tully sold the dummy to the defence and left Weir with plenty time and space to shoot. The centre's shot was beaten aside by Watson, and thereafter the young 'keeper was defiant.
Ten minutes after half-time Hamilton tricked McGrory and sent Hather off. The young Englishman beat Mallan and streaked for goal before shooting past Bonnar with his right foot as the 'keeper dived in a vain attempt to avert disaster.
The final counter came with the last kick of the match after Hamilton had been charged down in the penalty area. Emery took the spot kick and hit the ball home. There was no time to restart play.

Source: Press & Journal, 16th January 1949

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Watson, Emery, McKenna, Anderson, McKenzie, Harris, Hather, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Celtic Teamsheet:  Bonner, Boden, Mallan, Evans, McGrory, Baillie, Collins, Taylor, Weir, McAuley, Tully


Referee: H. P. Anderson, Edinburgh

Related Links: