Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1949-50 fixture list
Scottish Cup First Round 
St. Mirren 1 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  2:45 PM   Stewart 49       Yorston 1, Yorston 50.  
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Dons Were at Top of Their Form at Paisley!
Harris and Yorston Earned Football 'Oscars'

THE Aberdeen football public have their fingers crossed. They are hoping that the luck of the draw will favour the Dons and give them a home game on Saturday, February 11.
Not since February 1947 - the year Aberdeen won the trophy?has Pittodrie Park been the scene of a Scottish Cup-tie.

Home or away, those eleven fighting furies who sported the Dons' red jerseys at Paisley on Saturday are going to prove a tough proposition in the national tournament.
Their 2-1 victory at Paisley earns them the label "dangerous.'" The margin of victory was narrow, but make no mistake, the better team won.
The Dons had the victory urge. They struck the first blow while St Mirren were still getting organised. Throughout thev played with eagerness and abandon on hard and unreliable playing surface. It was obvious that defeat was not even contemplated.
Defenders and attackers went to meet the ball. This was the Dons in their brightest mood.
If they can keep it up they are liable to lay claim to the title of the shock team of this year's Scottish Cup tournament.
It was a team triumph. The players adopted the motto - "One for all, all for one." If anyone who saw the game were asked to pick the celebrities they would surely name Harry Yorston and Tony Harris.
The former claimed the two goals. That alone entitles him to congratulations. But the goals apart, Yorston played one of his best-ever games for club. The treacherous surface held no terrors for the inside right.
I doubt if Harris either has ever given better service to Aberdeen. Certainly the best half back afield, his power in the tackle and energy in attack made him one the outstanding personalities of the game.

Watson 100 per Cent.

The covering up of the Aberdeen defence was good. Watson confirmed the impression that he is a young goalkeeper with bright future, by his clean and confident handling of the ball. He gets full marks for Saturday's display.
McKenna and Burrell are old rivals. Sometimes the Don and sometimes the Saint can claim the honours. Saturday was undoubtedly the defender's day. McKenna practically crowded the Irishman out of the game.
Emery took longer to settle than his team-mate. The 13 1/2 stone right back seemed a bit uncertain on the slippery ground in the first half, but in the second period he struck top form.
In his role as policeman McKenzie put up the "no thoroughfare" sign in the middle.
There was nothing spectacular about the centre half, but he was the essence of determination. Anderson was another strong man in defence.
The Aberdeen forward who seemed to sufter most on the hard surface was Baird. The tall inside forward was not happy. He needs a holding ground to produce his best.
Hamilton must have given Telfer a headache. The Dons' leader was never at rest. His tendency to roam to both wings kept the Paisley defence on edge.
This was spotlighted in the first half when Hamilton twice went out to the left to take corner-kicks. Pearson moved inside to take a short pass, and the centre darted inwards to accept the return transfer and shoot for goal. The St Mirren defence had no counter for this move - a crafty one if it is not overdone.
There was an additional pep about Pearson's play in this game. His tricky ball work and quick flicks left Lapsley a very worried back.
Stenhouse paid his way on the right wing. He is certainly worth another chance. On the Paisley form he is as good an outside right as Aberdeen have tried this season.

Chances Missed

Aberdeen's two goals might have been four, but you could scarcely blame a player for missing a chance considering the unreliability of the underfooting.
Anderson in the first half had a grand scoring chance from a neat slip from Stenhouse. He mishit the ball, and sent past.
In the second period Hamilton, with the score 2-1, had the goal at his mercy, after Kirk had fallen in saving twice at point-blank range from Pearson. As the ball came off the 'keeper it was spinning, and Hamilton sent wide.
The Dons' first goal was a snappy affair. When Stenhouse crossed from the right, Hamilton edged the ball on to Yorston. The inside right breasted it down, controlled it, and sent it winging past Kirk into the far corner of the net.
Scored within minute of the start, it was the first Scottish Cup goal of the season.
St Mirren drew level four minutes after the start of the second half. When Lesz took a free-kick at the corner the penalty box I have a suspicion he meant to shoot. Whether or not, the ball came across the front of the goal at terrific speed. All credit to Stewart for bringing it down and sending home from close range.
The Paisley players had barely finished congratulating themselves when the Dons regained the lead. A shrewdly-placed free kick by Harris was the first move in this goal. Kirk failed to cut the ball out and the ever-alert Yorston came striding in to head the goal that carried Aberdeen into the second round.

Source: Press & Journal, 30th January 1950

St. Mirren Teamsheet:  Kirk, Lapsley, Martin, Drinkwater, Telfer, Reid, Burrelll, Stewart, Blyth, Lesz


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Watson, Emery, McKenna, Anderson, McKenzie, Harris, Stenhouse, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. S. Cox, Rutherglen

Related Links: