Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
League Cup Group D 
Rangers 1 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    Findlay 11       Hamilton 50, Hamilton 86.  
Attendance: 40,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Alec Young Played Like a Veteran: Martin and Shaw Were Immense

THE two most-talked-of men in Glasgow last night were Bobby Brown, the Rangers 'keeper, and George Hamilton, the Dons centre forward. Brown, because he must be faulted for the loss of the winning goal, and Hamilton, because he was the man who scored it.

Four minutes from the finish 40,000 Light Blues' followers were left gasping. A quick interchange between Baird and Hather on the left saw the speedy Englishman whip the ball across the goalmouth, fast and low. Brown dived and missed it, and up raced Hamilton to lash the ball into the net from a yard or two. It was tragedy for the champions and triumph for Aberdeen.
The Dons deserved to win for their second-half display. A goal down at the interval, they came out to fight back with courage and tenacity. It was a more efficient Aberdeen than we saw against Clyde. They now have a glorious chance of beating Rangers to the qualifying stages of the League Cup.
Alec Young, who a month or two ago was playing in the junior ranks, broke into Scottish senior football at Ibrox last night. It was a fierce baptism for the former Blantyre Vics centre half, and he emerged limping but triumphant.
He played with the coolness of a veteran. Sure and remorseless in the tackle, he was a hero in defence and to earn commendation aainst a leader of the calibre of Willie Thornton is no mean feat.
He sustained an injury to his right leg in the second half, and was crippling badly during the last twenty minutes. The fact that he never flinched testifies to his physical courage.
David Shaw was Aberdeen's general. No matter how hard pressed were the Dons, and they were hard pressed at times, the former Hibs back remained self-possessed and steadfast. Waddell was rarely dangerous.
Fred Martin had an unhappy experience in the opening match against Clyde. Facing the sun in the first half last night he started nervously, but after the interval the big fellow gave a magnificent display. If he deserved criticism on Saturday he deserved praise for last night's show.
Tony Harris was annoyingly ineffective in the opening period, but what a grand second half he played. Not only did he hold Findlay, but he urged his own forwards in great style.


The Pittodrie forwards were a strange mixture. McColl and Cox seemed to have a stranglehold on Baird and Yorston in the first half, but the Rangers wing half-backs spent the second forty-five minutes vainly trying to re-establish their first-half superiority.
Hather seemed to be the only man who had brought his shooting boots. Hamilton was subdued until the vital scoring chances presented themselves. He was lively enough then. Boyd was opposed a "Tiger" Shaw at his best, but even so, the winger kept his opponent in full employment.
Rangers looked to have something in hand in the opening period. They promised to win, but they broke their promise in the second half - the Dons saw to that.
The champions snatched the lead in eleven minutes. Their forwards surged upfield, tore the Aberdeen defence open, and Findlay cracked home a cross from Rutherford.
With fifty minutes played Aberdeen were on level terms. A Hather corner swished across the goalmouth towards the far post and Hamilton dived forward to score with his head. The ball actually passed between Shaw's legs as the left back stood guard on the goal-line.

Source: Press & Journal, 17th August 1950

Rangers Teamsheet:  Brown, Young, Shaw, McColl, Woodburn, Cox, Waddell, Findlay, Thornton, Paton, Rutherford


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, Shaw, Anderson, Young, Harris, Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Referee: H. Phillips

Related Links: