Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
League Cup Group D 
Morton 0 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM         Yorston 26, Boyd 87.  
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Dons Win Again
The Dons carried on the good work in the League Cup against Morton at Greenock. They won 2-0, and unless there is an unexpected slump, Aberdeen, not Rangers, will qualify for the quarter-finals this season.

While the Dons did not play as well against Morton as they did at Ibrox they were value for the points. The second goal was something in the nature of a gift. It was the direct result of a defensive blunder.
All over, the play of the forwards was disappointing.
There was a lack of shooting power in both attacks. Aberdeen had the sweeter-moving front rank and with more punch they would have scored more than once in the first half.
Yorston's opening goal for the Dons was a masterpiece in its way, but both the inside right and Baird lacked fire when it came to delivering the final blow inside the eighteen-yard line.

Young Shines

The man who stole the honours in this game was Alec Young, the new centre half. He was even more confident than he was against Rangers. His advent has certainly strengthened the rear division. The former Blantyre Vies pivot hardly gave Mochan a chance.
Shaw was another Aberdeen defensive stalwart. The positional sense of the former Hibs player is almost uncanny.
Garth, the Morton inside left, can seldom have been so much out of a game as he was on Saturday. Anderson was the boss.
Hather and Boyd were dangerous raiders on the wings for the Dons, and Hamilton made good use of the ball when he received it, but that was far too rarely.
Morton do not yet seem to have adapted themselves to "A" Division soccer. Their forwards moved well in the opening stages, but once the Pittodrie half backs got going Mochan and Co. were allowed to play very little constructive football.

Grand Goal,/p> Aberdeen's first goal in twenty-six minutes was a dandy. A wellplaced clearance by Shaw dropped at Hamilton's feet.
The centre's way to goal was barred, but with commendable presence of mind he cleverly glided the ball forward to the on-running Yorston.
The inside right beat Cowan with a spanking drive.
There were only three minutes left for play when the Dons got their second goal. Cowan left his charge in pursuit of a throw-in. Before he could return Whigham nodded the ball back. With an amazing acrobatic leap the 'keeper managed to prevent the ball crossing the line, but before he could recover Boyd raced in to slip it into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 21st August 1950

Morton Teamsheet:  Cowan, Connell, Westwater, G. Mitchell, Whigham, Hunter, Farquhar, Orr, Mochan, Garth, Alexander


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, Shaw, Anderson, Young, Harris, Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Referee: W. N. Graham

Related Links: