Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
League Cup Group D 
Aberdeen 6 - 1 Morton
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Baird 8, Yorston 15, Boyd 16, Hamilton 36, Yorston 57, Hamilton 69.       Orr 23  
Attendance: 25,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Confident and Adventurous Play Has Landed Them in Quarter-finals

THE Dons have adopted a new technique, and it is paying dividends. Instead of waiting for the opposition to make the first move, they are going for the ball. It succeeded against Rangers, and it brought results against Morton.

The Aberdeen players are playing with confidence. The forwards seem to have lost that air of diffidence in front of goal. They are willing to have a go. So long as they continue to reveal the same adventurous spirit they will be a danger to the best.
Admittedly the opposition provided by Morton on Saturday was well below standard.
The Greenock team was under strength. But, even so, the Dons never gave them a chance to issue a challenge.
Baird, Yorston and Boyd rapped in goals in the first sixteen minutes and Rangers were out and Aberdeen in the knock-out stages of the League Cup.
The Dons were unquestionably a better team than Morton - they were more confident in defence and brighter, more cohesive and forceful in attack.
Shaw did not seem to be as happy as usual in the first half, but Emery was never in difficulties.
The Aberdeen half backs held the mastery in the middle, although Young was not altogether blameless for the loss of the goal. That apart, however, the centre half played well.

Yorston's Best

All the forwards were lively and enterprising. Hamilton in the middle played with his usual intelligence and Yorston was a strong, forcing inside right. It was Yorston's best game of the season.
Boyd is gradually gaining in confidence on the right wing. He is clever on the ball and has a happy knack of accelerating with disconcerting suddenness.
Baird acted as pathfinder in the matter of pin-pointing the goal.
In eight minutes Yorston gathered a cross from Boyd, slipped the ball to Baird and the inside left stabbed into the corner of the net.
In fifteen minutes Yorston scored what, in my opinion, was the best goal of the match. When Hather took a corner the inside right quietly escaped the surveillance of the Morton defence and wandered to the inside-left position to find the net with a strong header.

Boyd's Goal

One minute later Boyd joined the party. Taking a clearance knee high he slammed the ball into the net before Cowan had a chance to move.
Orr, the most menacing Morton forward, claimed their only goal in twenty-three minutes. Young tried to beat Cantwell instead of clearing first-time. The centre stabbed the ball up the middle and Orr shot fiercely into the net.
Hamilton was on the mark in thirty-six minutes. Hather beat Westwater, raced down the wing and slipped the ball into the middle for the centre to add the finishing touch.
Westwater and J. Mitchell switched position in the Morton defence in the second half, but this did not prevent the Dons increasing their lead. Hamilton backheaded a throw-in from Anderson and Yorston was ready and waiting to put the ball in the net.
In twenty-four minutes Hamilton completed the scoring. Boyd raced off on the right and when Cowan blocked his shot the ball ran clear to the Aberdeen leader, who made no mistake.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd September 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, Shaw, Anderson, Young, Harris, Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Hather.

Unused Subs:


Morton Teamsheet:  Cowan, Westwater, Whigham, J. Mitchell, Batten, Mochan, Aird, Orr, Cantwell, McGarrity, Alexander


Referee: D. McIntosh, Inverness

Related Links: