Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Hibernian
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Pearson 27, Hamilton 55.       Turnbull 1  
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Aberdeen Recover to Beat Hibs
Neither Dons Nor Hibs Have Announced Line-ups for To-day's Cup Replay

THERE seems to be a "cold war" going on behind the scenes between Aberdeen and Hibs. It started when Hibs "sprang" Gordon Smith on the Dons in the replay twelve days ago, keeping their team secret until a few minutes before the kick-off.

It was carried on at Pittodrie on Saturday, when neither team was announced until just before the start of the game.
The latest news is that the Aberdeen team will not be available for this evening's League Cup quarter-final until the party arrives at Ibrox Park, and I have no word of the Hibs line-up either.
The Dons have been put on the spot with injuries. Harris and Hather were missing from Saturday's team, while both Hamilton and Anderson received knocks against Hibs in the third meeting.
Mr David Halliday, the Dons manager, was not prepared to say yesterday who would be fit and who would not.
Whatever the eleven Aberdeen must have a good chance.
In the three games between the teams there hasn't been much in it, but what little there has been was in the Dons' favour.
They can claim two victories at Pittodrie to Hibs' one at Easter Road.


If the Dons cut out the habit of giving their rivals the added incentive of an easy early goal they should qualify to meet Queen of the South at Tynecastle on Saturday first.
In the League Cup-tie at Easter Road Anderson and Martin between them conceded the first goal in the first two minutes of the game, and at Pittodrie on Saturday the entire defence looked on while Turnbull scored in the first minute.
The Dons deserved to win on Saturday.
They had to give Hibs best in play, if not in goals, in the first half. After the interval Aberdeen held the balance of play and scored the only goal of the period.
There were times in the first half when the Aberdeen defence was a trifle uncertain, but no more so than the Hibs rearguard was under pressure.
Martin did well in goal, and Emery was a sturdy and strong-kicking right back. He seems to have got the measure of Ormond.


Young was sound against Reilly and did a lot of useful covering up, but the surprise in the Aberdeen rear was Glen.
The left half was strong and determined in the tackle, and engineered several of the Dons' best attacks. It was his best display of the season.
There is probably no greater-hearted club player in Scotland than Hamilton. He never gives up.
It was a brighter Baird we saw on Saturday, and the inside left is entitled to claim seventy-five per cent, of the credit for the winning goal.
Within a minute of the start at Pittodrie on Saturday Hibs found themselves a goal up. When Emery conceded a free kick Combe swept the ball into the goalmouth.


While the Aberdeen defenders stood rooted to the spot Turnbull flicked the ball into the net.
The Dons were an anxious team until they got the equalising goal in twenty-seven minutes.
When Anderson sent the ball into the middle Baird touched it on to Hamilton. The centre's shot was blocked, but the ball went to the left and Pearson calmly slipped it into the net.
The left winger showed remarkable restraint and judgment - a less experienced player would have attemped to blast the ball past the 'keeper.
Ten minutes after the start of the second half came the winning goal. Bair,. back assisting in defence, carried the ball upfield and transferred it to Pearson.
When the winger crossed the inside left had moved forward and he nodded the ball ahead for Hamilton to slam it into the net.
It was the type of goal that deserves to win a match.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd October 1950

There was more keenness than brilliance at Pittodrie on Saturday, when Aberdeen, with a fighting recovery, took both points from Hibernians after losing a goal in 55 seconds, scored by Turnbull.
Hibernians held the whip hand for speed, with Johnstone and Smith worrying Aberdeen's defence, and their forwards were foiled on several occasions by the excellent goalkeeping of Martin.
Smith, however, did not maintain his early form and seemed lacking in speed, attributable, no doubt, to his recent injury. Hibernians' half backs also lost their grip, and Pearson, Aberdeen's outside left, equalised.
Aberdeen were the masters in the second half, and Baird made a fine opening for Hamilton to score the winning goal.
In a closing rally, Hibernians might have saved the game, but Johnstone and Ormond missed chances.
Aberdeen, playing polished and artistic football in the outfield, were poor finishers, and Yorston should have increased their lead when in a good scoring position.

Source: The Scotsman, 2nd October 1950

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, Shaw, Anderson, Young, Glen, Boyd, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Hibernian Teamsheet:  Younger; Govan, Ogilvie; Howie, Paterson, Combe; Smith, Johnstone, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond


Referee: J. F. Fox, Rutherglen

Related Links: