Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1950-51 fixture list
Div 1 (Old) 
Morton 1 - 2 Aberdeen
Kick Off:    McGarrity 49       Emery 1 (Pen), Baird 7.  
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Aberdeen Show Championship Form on Icebound Pitch
Young Was Outstanding in a Powerful Defence

THE hallmark of a team with championship ambitions is the ability to play well in any conditions. That is exactly what Aberdeen did against Morton at Greenock, and their 2-1 win can be classed as one of their best performances this season.

Cappielow Park's playing surface may have been suitable for some things, but not for first-class football. A pre-match examination revealed holes and lumps of ice, which it would have taken a pick-axe to shift.
It was decided by the referee that the pitch was playable. Under the conditions the fare provided was more entertaining than seemed possible. Miskicks were frequent, but they could be attributed to the freakish bounces of the ball.
Aberdeen might have been four goals up instead of two at half-time, but nobody could be blamed for missing chances on such a surface.
It was surprising that the only lengthy stoppage for injury occurred in the second half, when Mitchell, the home right back, received a leg injury.
Shod in rubber boots the Dons always played the better football. There was a spell in the second half when they lost their forward poise, but the defence always was well on top.
Young continues to confound the critics who think a first-season junior cannot make the Scottish League grade. He was the linchpin of a powerful Aberdeen defence.
It was not often that the Morton inside men got the chance to bring Mochan into the game, and when they did Young was always there to halt the move.


In such a teeihy game the wing half backs got little opportunity to develop a constructive game. Both Anderson and Harris lent support in attack early on, but their best work was done in defence after half-time.
While Emery was unhappy on the iron-hard surface, McKenna developed the knack of being on the right spot at the right time.
Jimmy Cowan, the Morton 'keeper, made two saves of international class, but he was not one whit superior to Martin. The lanky Pittodrie lad handled admirably throughout, and his anticipation took the side out of two awkward situations.
It was in attack, however, that one saw the real difference between the sides. The rubber-shod Aberdeen quintette could pick their way forward slickly and with fast, open passes.
For sheer hard work Yorston rivalled the busy bee. He repeatedly turned defence into attack with mazy runs despite the close attentions of Whyte.


Baird, too, did his share and seemed more at home in the conditions than Gourlay and Orr, the tall Morton inside supports.
Hamilton's roving and distribution were an ever-present problem to Thom, an indecisive centre half back, and on the wings there was the contrast of the dashing Delaney and the artistic Pearson.
Delaney never shirked the hefty tackling of Morton's left-flank defenders, while Pearson seemed more at home than any other player on the treacherous surface. He could beat Mitchell as he liked.
A victory at Greenock is never easily won, and to do it in the conditions Aberdeen met with on this occasion is a real triumph.
Morton enthusiasts will tell you the Dons should never have had that first-minute penalty, but within ten minutes the referee ignored a most flagrant offence by a Morton man.


Whatever the merits of the spotkick award, Emery made no bones about thundering the ball to the back of the net in Cowan's right hand corner, with the 'keeper moving the wrong way.
A second goal in seven minutes was a well-taken but simple affair. Beating Mitchell on the edge of the penalty area and near the goal-line, Pearson chipped the ball into the middle.
Baird rose to it, and it appeared that Cowan slipped as he went for the ball. He did get a hand to it, but could only assist it into the side-netting.
McGarrity's consolation point for Morton after half-time was a direct result of some of the Aberdeen defenders forgetting that golden rule - Play to the whistle!
Some of the players seemed to think the ball had gone behind before Whyte turned it back, and no real attempt was made to stop McGarrity flicking it into the net.

Source: Press & Journal, 18th December 1950

Dons players and officials were anything but happy over the prospect at Cappielow. The surface was most uneven - there were lumps of ice sticking up all over the pitch, and although sand had been thrown over the worst parts the sand only served as temporary camouflage. In the circumstances the twenty-two players served up a wonderful display, and the Dons did very well indeed to win by the odd goal.

Source: Match Programme, 23rd December 1950

Morton Teamsheet:  Cowan, Mitchell, Whigham, Boyd, Thom, Whyte, McGarrity, Gourlay, Mochan, Orr, McVinish


Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Martin, Emery, McKenna, Anderson, Young, Harris, Delaney, Yorston, Hamilton, Baird, Pearson.

Unused Subs:


Referee: J. Jackson

Related Links: