Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2002-03 fixture list
Brechin City 4 - 4 Aberdeen
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Jamie Smith (7, 45), Fotheringham (72), Clark (75)       Mackie 20, Anderson 30, Young 47, Riza 85.  
Attendance: 1,684
Venue: Glebe Park, Brechin
Goalfest at Brechin
Aberdeen were given a tough work out by a hard working Brechin side as they fought out a 4-4 draw. The Dons' cause was not helped by constant disruption to their back four line up as both Anderson and McAllister were forced to leave the field with injuries. This resulted in new signing Eric Deloumeaux playing in three different positions in the back four over the course of the ninety minutes. The Frenchman looked comfortable though and proved his versatility. Laurent D'Jaffo also made his debut in the second half and looked strong and assured up front.

Brechin caused some panic in the Dons defence after 90 seconds when Derek Young was disposessed on the edge of his own penalty area, but the bearded David Preece collected the attempted shot comfortably. After a fairly scrappy opening 5 minutes it was Brechin who were looking the more likely, as they managed to get in and around the Dons box with some ease. Aberdeen did manage an attempt on the Brechin goal in the early period when a Thornley cutback was directed by Mackie into the path of Derek Young whose shot was well saved by Brechin keeper Cairns.

The home side's adventurous play paid off in the 7th minute. Jamie Smith got on the end of a cross and sent a looping header goalwards. David Preece in the Aberdeen goal was left clutching fresh air as the ball nestled in the back of the net. The Dons immediately tried to hit back and Darren Mackie had a good effort well saved by Cairns. A minute later a Thornley corner was met by Derek Young, but his header flew wide. The Dons were stepping up a gear now and produced a spell of sustained pressure to put Brechin on the back foot. Mackie and Derek Young both had good efforts saved, but Brechin were managing to break to good effect.

Aberdeen drew level in the 20th minute when Mackie netted after good work from Thornley on the left. Brechin were not to be outdone however, and were still looking dangerous in the final third, causing the at times shaky looking Dons defence a lot of trouble. At the other end, Aberdeen won two corners in quick succession. The first saw a Mackie header come back off the bar before being cleared. The second corner saw Aberdeen take the lead. Once more Thornley was the provider as his corner kick was headed home by Russell Anderson. Unfortunately the central defender received a gash above his eye in the process and was replaced by Stephen Payne. In the 43rd minute Leon Mike did some good work on the left before turning inside and making some space for himself. His shot flew just over.

Any thoughts the Dons fans in the 1600 crowd might have had about coasting to a comfortable sun-drenched victory had to be put on hold as their hosts drew level on the stroke of halftime. Jamie Smith added a second for Brechin as he rose virtually unchallenged to power home a header beyond the helpless Preece.

Halftime: Brechin 2 Aberdeen 2

Aberdeen made the perfect start to the second half when Darren Young netted in the 47th minute to put the Dons 3-2 ahead. He latched onto a Leon Mike pass and went one on one with the keeper before keeping a cool head and slotting home. Darren Mackie came close in the 49th minute but had to watch as his shot flashed across the face of the goal. The good start to the second half by the Dons stung Brechin into action. A fine turn and shot by Chris Templeman was well saved by Preece.

With 56 minutes on the clock the Dons made a double substitution. Mike and Thornley made way for trialist Omer Riza and new signing Laurent D'Jaffo who received a warm ovation from the Dons fans.

With an hour gone, Mackie was just beaten to a Tiernan cross and the ball was cleared for a corner. From the resulting kick, Laurent D'Jaffo headed over. A minute later Derek Young managed a volleyed attempt with his back to goal which flew wide of the mark. Darren Mackie was now causing the Brechin defence plenty of problems, although he could have done better in the 65th minute when he chose to try his luck weakly first time, when he had time and space. Two minutes later Mackie again broke through but his layoff was sent wide by Riza.

Brechin pulled level again in the 72nd minute when Dons substitute Robbie Hedderman was harshly adjudged to have fouled Chris Templeman in the box. Kevin Fotheringham stepped up and made no mistake with the spot kick. The Dons were rocked again three minutes later when Derek Clark grabbed a fourth for Brechin with their third on-target header of the match. The Dons blushes were spared in the 85th minute when trialist Omer Riza did his prospects no harm by calmly slotting home the equaliser.

Brechin City Teamsheet:  Cairns, Miller, Black, Jamie Smith, Cairney, Fotheringham, Templeman, Campbell, McKechnie, Jackson, King.

Unused Subs: Gibson for Campbell (38), Clark for Jackson (74), Daryn Smith for Templeman (74)

Bookings:  None  None

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Preece, McGuire, Anderson (Payne 30), McAllister (Hedderman 70), Deloumeaux, Young, Young, Thornley (Riza 56), Tiernan, Mike (D'Jaffo 56), Mackie.

Unused Subs:


Referee: Gary Mitchell

Related Links: