Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 2001-02 fixture list
Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dundee
Kick Off:  7:45 PM          
Attendance: 11,027 (Visitors: 598)
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Shooting blanks at Pittodrie
In complete contrast to the previous week's goalfest at Easter Road, defences were on top in this match which resulted in the Dons first no score draw of the campaign. After a very poor first half, the Dons stepped up the work rate in the second period, but couldn?t find a way past Speroni in the Dundee goal as the visitors left Pittodrie with the point they had come for. [audio: great experience]

Dundee were first to show and Steven Milne had two clear cut chances to open the scoring in the first sixty seconds. The first opportunity saw him beat the Dons offside trap and go one on one with Kjaer, but the keeper was out smartly to smother the ball at his feet. Thirty seconds later, Kjaer was on hand to palm the ball clear. The only chance Aberdeen created in the early stages was a 20-yard effort from Fergus Tiernan in the 3rd minut, which didn?t threaten Speroni. Aberdeen should have taken the lead in the ninth minute when McNaughton swung in a cross from the right. The Dundee defence appeared to go to sleep and Winters ghosted in, but steered the ball wide of the target.

This was unfolding into an exciting tie with play raging from end to end and Winters and Kemas causing the biggest problems for the defences. Although the match was fairly open, there was little goalmouth incident. The closest to a sight of goal in this period was when Darren Young played a neat one-two in the 23rd minute, but had his effort blocked on the edge of the box. Three minutes later Dundee went close when McAllister was forced to clear for a corner under severe pressure. Dundee created another opening in the 34th minute when Torres hit a McKay cross over the top from the edge of the Dons box.

Darren Young gave Speroni some work in the 37th minute as he drove in a low shot after brother Derek rolled the ball into his path. The game had started with so much promise, but had turned into a turgid affair by this stage. Kemas once more caused problems on the right and his cross in the 42nd minute had to be scrambled clear for a corner. The first half finished in a flurry as Speroni was forced to palm a corner clear and then Whyte followed up only to see his shot blocked by a posse of defenders.

Darren Mackie replaced Dadi at half time as the Dons hoped to inject some pace into the proceedings. The Dons had an excellent chance in the 50th minute, but were denied by a double stop from Speroni. Tiernan blasted a Guntveit cut back from the edge of the box, which the keeper did well to block. He was back on his feet instantly to deny Winters a crack at the loose ball. Two minutes later McNaughton tried an ambitious lob from 30 yards, which the keeper held easily. Ketsbala was booked in the 53rd minute for upending McNaughton, then the Dons went close twice in the space of a minute as the game started to liven up.

McAllister went close when a long-range effort was deflected wide of the post with the keeper scrambling across his goal line. From the resultant corner Derek Young rose to head the ball inches over the crossbar. The Dons were creating the better chances now and Guntveit should have done better in the 64th minute when he headed a Winters cross wide after a late run into the box. Two minutes later McAllister saved the day at the other end with a brilliant last gasp tackle on Gavin Rae as the midfielder homed in on goal. The Dons scorned another chance in the 69th minute when Winters failed to connect with a Darren Young cross with the goal gaping. Two minutes later, Mackie scraped the post with a header from a McNaughton delivery.

Derek Young went close again in the 76th minute when an 18 yard drive was deflected wide. The Dons were creating no shortage of chances, but couldn?t break down a packed Dundee defence. Dundee themselves still posed an occasional threat and Ketsbaia went close in the 78th minute with a shot across the face of the Aberdeen goal. The same player went close again in the 84th minute, but blasted over from the edge of the box. The Dons piled on the pressure in the closing minutes, but there was no way through and Aberdeen had to settle for their first no scoring draw of the season.

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Kjaer, McNaughton, McAllister, Whyte, McGuire, Tiernan, Young, Guntveit, Dadi (Mackie 46), Winters, Young.

Unused Subs:


Dundee Teamsheet:  Speroni, Smith, Fan Zhiyi, Del Rio, MacKay, Torres, Ketsbaia, Rae, Beghetto, Kemas, Milne.

Unused Subs: Caballero for Kemas (53), Romano for Milne (62), Beith for Beghetto.

Bookings:  Ketsbaia (53)

Referee: Douglas McDonald

Related Links: