Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Rangers
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Jarvie 11, Jarvie 60, Harper 62.       Russell 31  
Attendance: 21,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Jarvie 'Drew' First (and second) Blood
With Ally Macleod's departure to the post of Scotland's team boss, the new season began with Billy McNeill as Aberdeen Manager, He strolled on to the pitch wearing a red shirt, which brought a rapturous reception from the Dons' fans in the 22,000 crowd - Rangers' fans were less impressed!

Manager McNeill's rousing acclamation had the adrenalin flowing in the Aberdeen players and rev responded by going on the offensive right away. A low hard cross by Ian Fleming was met by the on rushing Joe Harper who missed the goal by inches. Then a first time shot by Fleming was well saved by McCloy. Davie Cooper, playing his first game for Rangers, had a typical jinking run but he was eventually. A Drew Jarvie header and a Stuart Kennedy effort almost brought goals and the home team's unrelenting pressure bore fruit in 11 minutes. John McMaster released Fleming and his cut-back was met by Jarvie who scored from 16 yards out.
Parlane almost equalised but his strong shot was blocked on the line by Willie Garner. Russell was causing some problems with his probing play and Bobby Clark had his first real save in 29 minutes from Parlane. 2 minutes later Rangers equalised with a great shot from the edge of the penalty box by Russell from a McKay corner. Aberdeen resumed their pressure and Fleming, covering a tremendous amount of ground as he constantly harried the Light Blues' defence, had a powerful shot parried by McCloy. While the home side had a territorial advantage the visitors were dangerous in their breakaways.

Rangers intensified their pressure immediately and forced two early corners. Then Jarvie tried a clever lob which barely cleared the crossbar. Play raced to the other end as Rangers strove for the lead and gained another fruitless corner. A McMaster shot and a Jarvie header tested the big Rangers' keeper and then, in 59 minutes, he had a brilliant save from Jarvie's shot. However Jarvie was persistent and deserved the goal he scored a minute later. Harper cut the ball back from the right wing for the incoming Jarvie to net a goal almost identical to his first one.
2 minutes later Aberdeen consolidated their position with a third - and decisive goal. Great play by Jarvie and McMaster enabled Harper to crash home the ball. Rangers substituted McKean for McKay and the injured Joe Smith was replaced by Duncan Davidson, Willie Miller and McKean were then booked for a "small difference of opinion". Aberdeen really tightened things up in defence in the last quarter of an hour to maintain their two goal lead. Rangers battled to the end and incurred two more bookings, a total of five in all. Garner headed the ball off the line 2 minutes from the end. It had been a highly satisfactory managerial debut for Aberdeen's new boss.

Source: Match Programme, 18th September 1993

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, Smith (Davidson 64), Garner, Miller, Jarvie, Shirra, Harper, Fleming, McMaster.

Unused Subs: Sullivan.

Bookings:  Smith (15),  Miller (72).

Rangers Teamsheet:  McCloy, Jardine, Miller, Forsyth, Jackson, MacDonald, McKay (McKean 64), Russell, Parlane, Robertson, Cooper

Bookings:  McKean 72,   Jackson 74,   Jardine 75

Referee: T. Muirhead, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: