Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1977-78 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 2 - 1 Celtic
Kick Off:  3:00 PM   Fleming 58, Fleming 67.       Garner 49 o.g.  
Attendance: 25,800
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Paradise Regained for Aberdeen
This was new Aberdeen manager, Billy McNeill's, first game against his former club and it was Celtic's fourth defeat in five games. Despite Willie Garner's spectacular "own goal" Aberdeen regained the initiative from the men from Paradise to collect two points. The attendance was 25,800.

The kick off was delayed for 10 minutes to let a mass of fans through the turnstiles. The Dons had had a creditable 0-0 result in Belgium against Molenbeek in midweek and opened in confident style. Ian Fleming, Drew Jarvie and Stuart Kennedy had a slick move resulting in Latchford smothering the right back's shot. Then Bobby Clark had to dive smartly to stop Glavin's effort. Play was becoming somewhat untidy but there was a good atmosphere as the fans encouraged their heroes. Both McWilliams and Willie Garner put their own goals under threat with dangerous pass backs. Duncan Davidson was having one or two darting runs down the right wing and Fleming came close to scoring with a powerful header. Davidson then raced away from Lynch but his shot went wide.
The game was certainly wide open but it needed a goal. There were too many stoppages. Joe Harper stole the limelight and hit a blistering shot which was well saved by Latchford. Davidson then had another attempt saved but Celtic responded with a good shot by Glavin.
Harper went sprawling and the referee waved aside Aberdeen's penalty claim. Then Jarvie had a shot which went wide and the half ended with Clark saving from Lynch.

The Dons almost scored immediately when Davidson's flashing header was brilliantly saved by Latchford at full stretch. In the 49th minute Celtic took the lead and it was a tragedy for centre half Garner. A Lynch cross was helped on by Edvaldsson and Garner rose to clear the ball, only to see his header fly past Clark into his own net. This was the first goal the keeper had conceded in six games.
Aberdeen fought back and Latchford rose to the occasion yet again by denying Jim Shirra a goal. The home team's pressure eventually paid off in 58 minutes. Ian Fleming's 16 yard shot crashed against the base of Latchford's right hand post and bounced into the net. The game had come to life and Willie Miller made a brilliant tackle to foil Edvaldsson in 60 minutes. Clark then showed tremendous courage when he defied flying feet to make a double save in a packed goalmouth. Garner almost atoned for his earlier "misdemeanour" by heading the ball for the keeper to save. The keeper was again in action as John McMaster hit a dipping shot from 20 yards. Pittodrie was now buzzing and the Dons had their supporters delighted in 67 minutes. Harper crossed from the right and Fleming launched himself at the ball to head it into the Celtic net. It was a spectacular effort, despite the attention of Latchford and Aitken. Celtic then replaced Craig with Doyle. Doyle almost scored the equaliser in 80 minutes but Clark brought off a marvellous save and he followed this up by punching a Wilson shot on to the bar. The Dons held out for a deserved victory.

Source: Match Programme, 14th May 1994

Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Clark, Kennedy, McLelland, Shirra, Garner, Miller, Davidson, Jarvie, Harper, Fleming, McMaster.

Unused Subs: Robb, Sullivan.

Bookings:  Miller (84).

Celtic Teamsheet:  Latchford, McGrain, Lynch, Edvaldsson, McDonald, McWilliams, Glavin, McAdam, Craig (Doyle 68), Aitken, Wilson


Referee: J. W. Paterson, Bothwell

Related Links: